RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

@majestic - Yes, because the show stopped having a stick up its behind and stopped trying to be intelligent (which it did quite poorly in season 1) and instead went for fun.  I mean, they scrapped what they were trying to do in season 1 because it clearly wasn't working.  Also, I wanted Hercules in Space.  Who doesn't want Hercules in Space?

As an aside, is there a movie called Hercules in Space?  If not, why the **** not!?  Somebody make it happen!

Obviously, there's no accounting for taste. :p:cat: 

I thought Season 1 and the first half of Season 2 up until the Trance change were superior to the later seasons in everything but production values, which remained low throughout the show's run anyway and which I personally never take up as a way to judge episode or show quality (polish a turd and all that). The original creative team even managed to make Kevin Sorbo look like an actor for a while, and I'm sure that took some doing. It also helped that I generally enjoy the works of Ashley Miller, Zack Stentz and Robert Hewitt Wolfe.

Not saying later Andromeda wasn't fun for a while or that campy shows are bad. I liked Xena and Hercules -  there's a reason I watched the first four seasons and while a large portion of that was late puberty-me ogling Lexa Doig clad in leather it wasn't the only reason. I'd just never say the later seasons were any better than the first and a half. It's like watching two different shows with the same cast and the same sets, set in the same universe. I just appreciated the go game scences between Tyr and Dlyan more than I appreciated Dlyan showing the ladies his force lance.

I'd be game for Hercules in Space, assuming they can get Sorbo to play Space Herc. :yes:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Dishonored 2 is truly a spectacular game. I'm still not entirely sure what the hell happened, the PC version clearly saw a lot of love - tons of UI customization, graphical options, FOV slider, borderless window mode...

That gives me some hope that they'll sort it out.  I'm never paying for a bad port again, even if the game itself is amazing  :getlost:

• Like 1

Have they given any reason for trying to explore the next galaxy when in ME they'd only explored 1% of the Milky Way?

Because it's there.

Pretty much this

Like how some are focused on a Mars colony when a moon colony would be easier and cheaper

Free games updated 3/4/21

Well was referencing Mallory's quote more than defending Bioware's choice. Andromeda is the closest one, so makes some degree of sense. Can't blame them for wanting to not be handcuffed by the previous games.

Oh yes I think thats exactly why they're using Andromeda to wash their hands of any player choice in the last games. However in terms of closest viable colonisation they still have the 99% of the Milky Way to explore beyond the relay network, which would have worked just as well at insulating the game from its forebears, and make a lick of sense. Space being big they'd still even at near C velocities be effectively beyond communication with the previous worlds.

Look at what 40k can fit in the Milky Way, a near infinity of species and mysteries, yet the idiots at Bioware think that a hundred billion worlds is not enough, as i've said before moronic.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

@majestic - Yes, because the show stopped having a stick up its behind and stopped trying to be intelligent (which it did quite poorly in season 1) and instead went for fun.  I mean, they scrapped what they were trying to do in season 1 because it clearly wasn't working.  Also, I wanted Hercules in Space.  Who doesn't want Hercules in Space?

As an aside, is there a movie called Hercules in Space?  If not, why the **** not!?  Somebody make it happen!

I don't think there is a Hercules in Space by name, but one of the 1980s Lou Ferrigno Hercules films has sequences in space.

I'm not sure the changes in Andromeda could be attributed to simply "it wasn't working" (I'd also dispute that it "went for fun" too, since my memories are that the series got bogged down pretty quickly in its mythology and overarching stories).  The show itself was cobbled together from unused ideas of Gene Roddenberry (part of the idea for this series can be seen in the TV movies GENESIS II, STRANGE NEW WORLD and PLANET EARTH); Sorbo was a star coming off Hercules and the production didn't want to bury him in an ensemble; the ensemble included Rev Bem whose full body suit was wearing out the actor and Trance Gemini whose makeup shifted colors in natural light from the studio and necessitated creating artificial reasons why the character showed up in location scenes.  I think a number of the supporting cast existed because they weren't sure what the show really was, and it wasn't until it'd been running for a bit that they were able to figure out how to address it (I don't say this to mean it was bad; Tom Baker's first season on Doctor Who has a similar feel; Harry Sullivan exists as a companion because they weren't sure who the Doctor was going to be; once they got through the scripts commissioned before they figured it out - they wrote the character out).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I've been saying since ME3 that the next Mass Effect should go to a new galaxy. And my main inspiration for saying that was Farscape.

End up somewhere new, with terrifying new villains, and do you very best to try and stop them from finding out where you're from.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've been saying since ME3 that the next Mass Effect should go to a new galaxy. And my main inspiration for saying that was Farscape.

End up somewhere new, with terrifying new villains, and do you very best to try and stop them from finding out where you're from.

Is Farscape any good?

You don't need a new galaxy to introduce another big bad however, space is big, you could fit any number of vast stellar empires into the same one.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

How about season 4 of Lexx - the dark zone. lel.

/Edit: Farscape was great. You have to like this "muppets in space"-thing, though, as most creatures looked very... puppet like.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Edit: Farscape was great. You have to like this "muppets in space"-thing, though, as most creatures looked very... puppet like.

Sounds like a plus to me, humans with bumpy foreheads was one of my main pet peeves with Star Treks aliens.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

You don't need a new galaxy to introduce another big bad however, space is big, you could fit any number of vast stellar empires into the same one.

You're not going to operate an active stellar empire in the Milky Way in Mass Effect without everyone past a certain tech level noticing you. Their transmissions and sensors are FTL with fantastic fidelity.

If your new villain isn't technology advanced enough to pick up your TV signals, they're not a big threat.

/Edit: Farscape was great. You have to like this "muppets in space"-thing, though, as most creatures looked very... puppet like.

No-one ever asked the question "What would Voyager be like with more BDSM, leather costumes, and Muppets" but Farscape answered it.

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You're not going to operate an active stellar empire in the Milky Way in Mass Effect without everyone past a certain tech level noticing you. Their transmissions and sensors are FTL with fantastic fidelity.

If your new villain isn't technology advanced enough to pick up your TV signals, they're not a big threat.

Even FTL travel takes time, and the Milky Way is vast, plus you could have this hypothetical stellar empire using unknown tech that cannot be detected (aliens being for wont of a better word alien) or be hidden behind a large nebula of birthing stars or other phenomena tha kicks out too much interference. The possibilities are endless.

Tea for the teapot!

In Mass Effect, it does not take much time at all. On the scope of weeks, not millenia. If the enemies have to hide to be unknown, it sort of makes it hard for you to be the one hiding your home, doesn't it?

To find you, all they have to do is stop hiding.

And if they're hidden by a single nebula, they aren't very vast. Certainly nothing on the existing alliances of the Mass Effect universe.

2.5 Million lightyears in 400 years? Or what was it? Atleast the Mass Relay lore limited FTL travel, it still took a while for them to travel from what I recall.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

IIRC Bioware have already stated that the trip to Andromeda will take 600 years.  Which is probably why they've set it as a dual exploration/colonization thing.  I'd imagine there's more buy-in for volunteers when they can take their family with them in cryosleep and such.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

In Mass Effect, it does not take much time at all. On the scope of weeks, not millenia. If the enemies have to hide to be unknown, it sort of makes it hard for you to be the one hiding your home, doesn't it?

To find you, all they have to do is stop hiding.

And if they're hidden by a single nebula, they aren't very vast. Certainly nothing on the existing alliances of the Mass Effect universe.

Sorry but no that's ridiculous, it'll take at least millenia from the far reaches of the Milky Way, and that's travelling far in advance of C, and assuming no phenomena disrupt the message. And if it does travel this fast then what's to stop another galaxy hearing it? No thats no real argument i'm afraid.

Now discounting my allusion to alien technology being actually alien for once, there are a hundred other posiibilities for yet another big bad introduction, they could be slumbering like say the Necron and awoken by the colonisation attempts, they could be abiding by some ancient treaty with say the Reapers or something, to not intrude on their relay network, they could be secluded by the aforementioned space phenomena such as a massive nebula of birthing stars, they could be a symbiotic entity that needs flesh to manipulate, they could be psychic vampires that no nothing of technology or flesh. There are near infinite posiibilities.

Some nebulae are not small at all, and if they're another big band they'll have the usual plot superiority.

Edit: I'm obviously not advocating for anything so unimaginative as another big bad, but I expect no better from Bioware, being creatively bankrupt as they are.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

I haven't been on for a couple of days but...

I would have bought pirated it if not for DENUVO.

Fixed that for you. Because, you see, Denuvo does **** all if you buy the game. Just internet neckbeards who blame every bug/problem/mental issue on Denuvo without ever backing up why Denuvo would be the root of the problem.

I hate this ****ing auto comment. I have almost 600 games on Steam, over 400 console games and I don't know how many games on GOG. Not liking Denuvo, does not make me a pirate.

Games protected by Denuvo require an online re-activation for every hardware upgrade.

You want to change your GPU? That's one activation lost. Wanna change something else? There's another activation.

Server's down? LOL sorry, you can't play.

Want to mod your game? F*** you!

This is SecureROM all over again and I am having none of it, therefore voting with my wallet.

• Like 5

Hey, I love Farscape as much as the next guy but I do feel compelled, compelled I say, to point out that Farscape is indisputably set in the Milky Way rather than another galaxy.

Games protected by Denuvo require an online re-activation for every hardware upgrade.

You want to change your GPU? That's one activation lost. Wanna change something else? There's another activation.

Denuvo activations aren't lost.

Hey, I love Farscape as much as the next guy but I do feel compelled, compelled I say, to point out that Farscape is indisputably set in the Milky Way rather than another galaxy.

Well yes, but John Crichton isn't a member of a galaxy spanning civilization. He's thrust into a completely foreign location far from home, to a point where he doesn't even know where home is. Extrapolate!

Inside...for best story? Firewatch? I don't know about Oxenfree, but I've personally played the entirety of the first and I've seen people play the second, and either this was a very poor year for storytelling in gaming, or, well, the ones deciding the nominees were a bit daft. I mean, Inside's an alright game and all...but best story? It barely HAD a story!

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.