Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Mad Max (1979) - It'd been awhile since I'd seen it.  Its an unusual post-apocalyptic world because - unlike the rest of the series - society hasn't broken so much as it has almost completely decayed away from the bone.  Sure there appears to still be some modern society infrastructure (police, hospitals) but what we see in them is not a society protecting itself but a society going through the motions just before losing all pretense that it still matters.  Its a uniquely stark vision - part THE WARRIORS, part DEATH WISH and part commentary on the easy decline of civilization.

Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) - The first of the series that gives the modern view of the post-apocalypse.  Has there been a film as influential to its genre after its release since this?  I'd argue that it really created its own genre of post-apocalyptic tale that most follow from in the same way that Night of the Living Dead did.  Really strong movie, I'd forgotten how nuanced Humongous' group actually was.

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - I actually liked it better this time.  The film is definitely a film of two parts and they could have integrated the two halves better but I thought overall the story held together fairly well.  The main heavy starts being played for laughs, though, and the final chase is probably the least exciting of the series.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) - The film still holds up - a great chase, a good view of the post-apocalypse and a lot of imagination and great visuals.

The Gunfighter (1950) - Sort of the grand-daddy of a lot of a westerns; a meditation on the downside of having a reputation as a fast draw killer on both the gunfighter and the people around them.  Good performances from Gregory Peck, Millard Mitchell, Karl Malden and Skip Homeier.

Fantastic Plant (1973) - An allegorical science fantasy film.  Lots of ideas, but also a lot of animation that exists to show spectacle in the animated landscapes and wild life.  After the languid pace of the first two thirds, the last third rushes to a conclusion.

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

john-wick-2-poster-600x925.jpg

Lionsgate has announced that it will be hosting a New York Comic Con panel for the upcoming action sequel John Wick: Chapter Two, and to whet our appetites the studio has released the first poster, featuring the returning Keanu Reeves.

John Wick: Chapter Two is set for release on February 10th and reunites Reeves with the original’s co-director Chad Stahelski and returning stars Ian McShane, John Leguizamo, Bridget Monahan, Tom Sadowski, and Lance Reddick. New additions to the cast include Laurence Fishburne (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice), Common (Selma), Ruby Rose (Resident Evil: The Final Chapter), Riccardo Scamarcio (Burnt) and Peter Stormare (Fargo).

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

[image]

Lionsgate has announced that it will be hosting a New York Comic Con panel for the upcoming action sequel John Wick: Chapter Two, and to whet our appetites the studio has released the first poster, featuring the returning Keanu Reeves.

John Wick: Chapter Two is set for release on February 10th and reunites Reeves with the original’s co-director Chad Stahelski and returning stars Ian McShane, John Leguizamo, Bridget Monahan, Tom Sadowski, and Lance Reddick. New additions to the cast include Laurence Fishburne (Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice), Common (Selma), Ruby Rose (Resident Evil: The Final Chapter), Riccardo Scamarcio (Burnt) and Peter Stormare (Fargo).

was pleasant surprised by john wick. over the last two decades, keanu would be near the top o' our list o' actors who drive us away from movies.  limited. wooden. dull. am certain when our friend recommended john wick, we gave him our best anton ego.  

nevertheless, we enjoyed the film and not simple in spite o' keanu's performance.  

is it possible for lightning to strike twice in the same place?  sure it is, but...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Avengers Age of Ultron. With the exception of the X-Men I'm behind on the Marvel movies.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Following the first poster release yesterday and the announcement of a New York Comic Con panel for the film, director Chad Stahelski has spoken with Collider about the upcoming “John Wick Chapter 2,” the sequel to 2014’s cult action hit starring Keanu Reeves.

The original film had Reeves as a famed retired hitman reluctantly pulled back into the business after goons kill the dog left to him by his late wife. In the new one, he’s once again forced out of retirement but this time by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. He heads to Rome where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers.

Stahelski promises the new film will have even more action and will really explore more of the underworld that the first film only showed pieces of:

“I would say we had twice as much action as the first movie. We took it all a full notch up as far as the driving car stuff went. A great portion of the car chase in the opening of the film is Keanu, which is very impressive… People kept asking us in the year after the movie came out, ‘We’d like to see more about the hotel.’ ‘We’d like to see more about all the different characters. ‘What is this underworld where everyone’s the best?’ What’s it like to be in a world like this? That’s what we really wanted to expand on. Me and the other creators on the show, my partner and the other producers, the biggest attraction to us about filmmaking really is creating a universe, and creating a world, and creating a little bit of escape. That’s really what we focused on and we’re hoping that’s what comes across in the second movie.”

He also confirmed that Laurence Fishburne’s character in the new film is called ‘The Bowery King’ and part of the story also deals with the ‘assassin’s code’ with a contract put out on Wick’s life after he killed a Russian gangster. There’s also a new dog. "John Wick: Chapter 2" will open February 10th.

Following the first poster release yesterday and the announcement of a New York Comic Con panel for the film, director Chad Stahelski has spoken with Collider about the upcoming “John Wick Chapter 2,” the sequel to 2014’s cult action hit starring Keanu Reeves.

The original film had Reeves as a famed retired hitman reluctantly pulled back into the business after goons kill the dog left to him by his late wife. In the new one, he’s once again forced out of retirement but this time by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. He heads to Rome where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers.

Stahelski promises the new film will have even more action and will really explore more of the underworld that the first film only showed pieces of:

“I would say we had twice as much action as the first movie. We took it all a full notch up as far as the driving car stuff went. A great portion of the car chase in the opening of the film is Keanu, which is very impressive… People kept asking us in the year after the movie came out, ‘We’d like to see more about the hotel.’ ‘We’d like to see more about all the different characters. ‘What is this underworld where everyone’s the best?’ What’s it like to be in a world like this? That’s what we really wanted to expand on. Me and the other creators on the show, my partner and the other producers, the biggest attraction to us about filmmaking really is creating a universe, and creating a world, and creating a little bit of escape. That’s really what we focused on and we’re hoping that’s what comes across in the second movie.”

He also confirmed that Laurence Fishburne’s character in the new film is called ‘The Bowery King’ and part of the story also deals with the ‘assassin’s code’ with a contract put out on Wick’s life after he killed a Russian gangster. There’s also a new dog. "John Wick: Chapter 2" will open February 10th.

That makes it sound like they haven't got one clue as to what made John Wick a good movie.

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sounds like the next John Wick will be like Unreal 2 was to Unreal 1.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, to be fair, I would like to see more about the Hotel and the characters that make it up. Maybe it was Ian McShane and Lance Reddick and various others in those supporting roles, but you just had that sense of there being stories behind everything.

have always been curious 'bout the sequel mentality o' moviemakers.  if is an action film, then perception is that the sequel needs more action.  whatever made first film popular, the producers/directors try and add more.  is kinda strange.  got a food recipe with a perfect blend o' ingredients and our first thoughts for improving is not to add more mushrooms or capers or figs or whatever.  explore different aspects and characters o' the hotel don't sound like a bad idea.  is a new movie, so need new characters and stories. different aspects o' stuff folks were curious 'bout? sure.  nevertheless, am mild annoyed that sequels is needing be bigger, louder and... more. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"That makes it sound like they haven't got one clue as to what made John Wick a good movie."

What made it a good movie in your mind?

How Wick's character was wholly defined by other characters and the setting rather than almost anything he actually did or said. The undercurrent of dread and understated excitement that permeates the film when Wick is not dispensing ass kicking, was what made the film a cut above other action movies.

The length of the action scenes or the depth of the underworld's characterization had little to do with the film's quality.

Of course, it's obviously possible to make a great sequel with a completely different focus. I can't help but get PTSD flashes of the Matrix sequels, though.

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

"That makes it sound like they haven't got one clue as to what made John Wick a good movie."

What made it a good movie in your mind?

How Wick's character was wholly defined by other characters and the setting rather than almost anything he actually did or said. The undercurrent of dread and understated excitement that permeates the film when Wick is not dispensing ass kicking, was what made the film a cut above other action movies.

The length of the action scenes or the depth of the underworld's characterization had little to do with the film's quality.

Of course, it's obviously possible to make a great sequel with a completely different focus. I can't help but get PTSD flashes of the Matrix sequels, though.

I don't know why, but reading your post this popped in my mind:

Epic Trailer Guy: "They took everything from her."

Maggie Grace: "Hello. My name is Kim Mills.You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Bad Guy: "Why? How? We're on the phone. You crazy bitch."

Big screen text: "T4KEN"

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Daddy's Home. More heartwarming than funny, but a couple of laugh out loud moments. Will Farrell and Mark Wahlberg have great chemistry together.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Apparently Stan Lee has arranged to shoot the cameo appearances for 4 upcoming Marvel moves on one day. Just because he's 93, and is concerned with whether he'll last long enough by the time they get around to shooting them all.

X-Men Apocalypse ... quite a bit better than before. Jean Grey, oh my god. 

so, was apocalypse a stalinist? a totalitarian demagogue utilizing cult o' personality and police-state mentality to bring 'bout a radiant future/worker's paradise through brutal means.  well, maybe not exactly, but am guessing is far closer than rbg.  

colossus wasn't in the film, was he?  too bad.  made out o' living steel.  stalin=steel, therefore by transitive property, colossus=stalin. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Wasn't he more of an Ayn Rand / Nietzschean 'ubermench'? Culling the weak and all that. Mastering your own destiny...

Stalin was more of an autocratic oligarch (Russian style), where the masses exist to make sure the few are elevated and the nation/ideal is perserved and prospers.

Hmm, birds of a feather I guess.

Fortune favors the bald.

Apocalypse in the comics was a "survival of the fittest" type to the nth degree, as I recall; he mostly supported mutants because he deemed them more fit to survive than non-mutants.  There's a little hint of that in the movie, but not so much.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

didn't see the movie and am admitting we only got most slim recollection o' apocalypse from the comics.  x-men 175 were our last x-men purchase and that were sometime mid 80s. 

HA! Good Fun!