Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Rosbjerg

Dumb and dumber To - The original is a favorite of mine.  This one was really bad for the first 20 minutes, then it settled into a decent rhythm (and I was on my 2nd beer.)  The writing and gags were probably on the same level as the original, but Lloyd and Harry were a problem.  These guys are older, and it was painful to watch their lack of chemistry at the start.  I felt it mellowed out though and had some good laughs.  Still not anywhere near the original, or course.  

Dumb and dumber To - The original is a favorite of mine.  This one was really bad for the first 20 minutes, then it settled into a decent rhythm (and I was on my 2nd beer.)  The writing and gags were probably on the same level as the original, but Lloyd and Harry were a problem.  These guys are older, and it was painful to watch their lack of chemistry at the start.  I felt it mellowed out though and had some good laughs.  Still not anywhere near the original, or course.  

I love the original too, but the second one was so painful to me that I turned it off after half an hour.

The Girl King.

A fairly well done look at Kristina of Sweden, although it's a shame it really only focused on the first half of her life when she reigned as Queen of Sweden. Besides the interesting history of it all, the film is really shot beautifully and has a lot of good supporting actors playing the people attempting to guide/manipulate the young queen.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Civil War. Chadwick Boseman. Don't even care about Doctor Strange now, just want a Black Panther movie, and soon.

Next year or the year after I think. They've cast everyone but White Wolf I think.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Maybe it's just because I don't like superhero movies, but this is starting to feel like it's reaching the point of over-saturation here...

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Nope. Lots of awesome movies. Lots of bad ones. Just like any other genre. Some good drama. Some bad dramas. Some good comedies. Some bad ones. Some good action movies. Some bad ones. *shrug*

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

only 'super hero movies' I liked was Blade and new Dredd. I would like maybe new Spawn. But again I am not fan of comics either

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Maybe it's just because I don't like superhero movies, but this is starting to feel like it's reaching the point of over-saturation here...

Westerns were the dominant genre for US movies for about 30 years.  I doubt Superheroes are going anywhere anytime soon (particularly given that they dovetail into the existing and perennially popular "action movie" summer film and, like Westerns, can combine with other genres to create different approaches to the material).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Westerns were the dominant genre for US movies for about 30 years.  I doubt Superheroes are going anywhere anytime soon (particularly given that they dovetail into the existing and perennially popular "action movie" summer film and, like Westerns, can combine with other genres to create different approaches to the material).

if you didn't like westerns and musicals, your options for movie viewing were significantly reduced until... mid 60s?  next step in movie evolution: combine musicals and superhero films.

truth-to-tell, modern superhero films is already deep influenced by westerns.  sure, we don't have many modern movies set in the american west with heroes riding horseback and firing civil war era six shooters at easily identifiable bad guys.  nevertheless, is not difficult to see influences o' the western on modern superhero films. westerns never actually disappeared, but perhaps the musical is primed for a returns.  james spader's ultron doing his best jud fry solo o' "lonely room"?  no?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Dazzler is pretty much crying out to be a musical, really.

agreed... although thor is actual the title that we would most wanna see done as a musical.

we would pay much for a bonus blu-ray short o' my helm and magic hammer.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I can only imagine a musical Thor leading to an immediate outcry against it, with comparisons to Der Ring des Nibelungen and details of Wagner's shortcomings with respect to his professed antisemtism, Aryanism and the subsequent Nazi party's adoption of him and his work.

Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic, though, and no one would say a thing.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I can only imagine a musical Thor leading to an immediate outcry against it, with comparisons to Der Ring des Nibelungen and details of Wagner's shortcomings with respect to his professed antisemtism, Aryanism and the subsequent Nazi party's adoption of him and his work.

Perhaps I'm just too pessimistic, though, and no one would say a thing.

am actual more pessimistic than amentep.  am certain that folks would complain. the thing is, nowadays, people complain 'bout everything.  is impossible for us to keep straight what constitutes microaggressions and what is requiring trigger warnings... and when does trigger warnings become microaggressions.  the upcoming disney film with dwayne johnson, moana, has already enraged many people.  dwayne's character apparent promotes the offensive stereotype that men o' the pacific islands is all morbid obese. the children's halloween costume for maui also is offensive as the skin tone for the bodysuit is darker than the typical caucasian american-- a whole generation o' disney fans will resurrect the practice o' the brown-face caricature. etc.

make brunhilde portrayed by an african-american actress and folks is enraged.

make brunhilde portrayed by a caucasian actress and folks would no doubt be enraged.

inevitable rage is sadly becoming little more than white noise.  when folks gots a serious concern, we hardly even hear such nowadays as is drowned out by the seeming hurricane o' inanity.  has gotten to the point where we see rage as inevitable.  is tough to be genuine angered over anything when so many is enraged by everything.

HA! Good Fun!

I blame twitter. I think the only thing adequately expressed in 140 characters is outrage.

• Like 2

I blame twitter. I think the only thing adequately expressed in 140 characters is outrage.

I would put quite lot blame on how social media platforms work in first place.

As they use trending, activity and etc. algorithms to promote topics and hastags, and you it is actually surprisingly small number of people that need to converse about topic or hastag to make platforms to promote it and when topic or hastags gets promoted it is seen by millions of people, from which maybe couple per mille will post something about which will make platforms to promote it more, which will mean that tens of millions people will see the topic or hastag. And when some per mille of them post about topic/hastag then we have some tens of thousands of people talking about the it and then news sites start to write about outrage in social media, because they want people to visit their sites and generate ad revenue to them. And so we have internet outrage, even though number of actually outraged people were in hundreds or thousands.

It is just that global reach of social media has ability to snowball any issue that gets rapid attention for one reason or another. I would also note that there are groups of people that purposefully trend topics in social media just to get them media attention which then will give it attention from public. Which can make issue that would have normally become issue to become issue. 

• Like 1