Movies you've seen recently

Rosbjerg

I Origins. It's an interesting movie, give it a go.

On my list - I'm going for sci fi indies at the moment. Ever since Man from Earth I've developed quite a fondness for them.

Saw Ex Machina, interesting execution, build up and tension - but they really botched the ending in relation to the rest of the movie, the ending was all right, but just quite inconsistant with the overall tone and expression of the movie. Causing it to feel anti climatic, even though it wasn't.

Fortune favors the bald.

On my list - I'm going for sci fi indies at the moment. Ever since Man from Earth I've developed quite a fondness for them.

Well it's not on the level of Man from Earth mind tease wise, but it's still good.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah, they're O.K. Definitely not the rage most regular people seemed to have made them to be, I don't think, but certainly watchable and enjoyable to some degree.

(e): I also read the books...or rather, I read the first two. I thought the first one was O.K., the second one somewhat better, and then I hit a wall in the opening pages of the third one. Even though I hadn't been hating the series up until that point (something I could read for fun), I just couldn't continue for some reason. Haven't returned since, and I don't really plan to.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The Hunger Games, 'cuz my son has just finished the books.

I think the films are OK, actually. Especially Lenny Kravitz and Woody Harrelson.

for years we disliked woody harrelson.  for us, most movies were made worse by his contributions.  however, with no country for old menzombieland and true detective, am admitting that seeing harrelson amongst the cast o' a given project is a selling point.  weird. 

that being said, we could not force our self to finish watching the first hunger games movie. elizabeth banks and stanley tucci were kinda fun, and we at least got hints that there were more to banks' character than existed on the surface.  as for the rest... even donald sutherland seemed to be phoning in his performance.  

watch a movie with a fan, or in a theatre with many fans, changes the dynamic.  relative hairless apes is, by nature, social creatures.  is painful for us to admit, but we can be swept along by the euphoria o' our fellow primates.  heck, any sports fan will observe just how different it is to watch a football game (even english football) in a packed stadium as 'posed to watching solitary on tv in one's own home.  parents watching movies with enthusiastic children has gotta be similar impactful, no?  takes a rough sorta soul not to take pleasure in the happiness o' their own child. watching a netflix copy o' hunger games, we had only our own unvarnished pov with which to account.  

after not being able to finish hunger games viewing, we read the graveyard book by gaiman, just to convince self that all hope for the future o' YA literature were not lost.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have the opposite problem: I have infinitely more trouble watching movies/shows with others than I do alone...particularly if it's the first time watching the film or show. It can be so bad that something I normally like (or would have normally liked, if it's my first viewing), I can end up despising while watching with somebody else. Must be my anti-social behavior flaring up. shrugnz9.gif

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Me too, I can't turn it off, that part of my brain, at a theater, so I just avoid opening weekends altogether.

don't come this way, sit further away, don't sit next to me, why are you late, the previews are already starting, stop making noise behind me, why are you kicking the chair, turn off your phone, be quiet, why do you exist

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

It's actually not that kind of thing that bothers me so much...I have that problem to some extent, but I can usually persevere except for something truly egregious...but it's usually more to do with the movie being watched itself. There are things that I can accept in a movie or a show alone that I simply cannot when watching while being with another(s). I generally like Disney movies, so I'll use that as an example: musicals. I usually like them by myself (depends on the exact movie and song in question, of course, but let's presume ones I normally like), but they seem so incredibly awful and cringeworthy if I'm watching with somebody else that I just cannot bear doing so. It's so stupid, particularly when I'm watching with somebody else who enjoys that sort of thing, but I still can't get over it. It's the same way with some other stuff, too (including things that are not exclusive to Disney movies, :p). I think that may be legitimate anti-social behavior, but what can you do? :ninja:

Edited by Bartimaeus

oh sure, we get that the overall moviegoing experience may be less pleasant than watching at home.  we mere state that it is ordinary to get carried along by crowd emotion.  heck, watch football games can be more enjoyable at home, particular as we is a bears fan.  we see at least one bears game a year, and we invariably do so in november or december.  spend 3 hours freezing our californian candy arse off while sitting/standing next to some 300lb drunken clown who splashes us with cheap beer.. not that expensive brews would make better. and truth to tell, we can see the game far better on a HD tv in our own home.  got tickets 15 rows back on 45 or 50 yard line?  fantastic, but am still staring at monstrous monitors as much as the play on the field when teams is near goal line, 'cause angle is giving us a distorted perspective when teams is in scoring position.  etc,  regardless, when crowd gets itself whipped into a frenzy and you got more than 60k people all screaming or holding their breath or praying to God, Allah, Buddha or The Great Mother Spirit for all we know, it is... compelling.

have walked outta theatres kinda liking movies w/o knowing why.  am suspecting that palpable audience emotion contributed to our initial positive impressions o' the flick in question.

or maybe we is just too darn sociable for our own good.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Saw Ant-Man.  Thought it was amusing but a bit uneven.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Got the Supes nostalgia. Man of Steel was such a surprise, I sprang for the '78-'06 anthology, including the first four movies, extended cuts of I and II, plus Superman Returns from 2006 and some cartoons and what-not. I seriously thought this franchise was resting in a sepulcher, but it's not. The John Williams score for the originals is gonna feel so amazing, I can't wait. I vaguely remember Richard Pryor, but I keep confusing it with Brewster's Millions.  

All Stop. On Screen.

For the utterly random movie related trivia...

MSN - Ian McKellen Talks about how he nearly wasn't Magneto or Gandalf

Sir Ian McKellen has revealed how he turned down the chance to work with Tom Cruise, because it would have clashed with Lord Of The Rings and X-Men.

Lord Of The Rings wizard Gandalf and X-Men villain Magneto have become two of the 76-year-old actor’s most iconic roles, but he revealed to People how they almost didn’t happen, because he had been offered a part in Mission: Impossible II.

Sir Ian explained: "It’s ridiculous that I’ve gotten to play both Gandalf and Magneto. How did that come about? One would have been enough. But two? And [they] also nearly might not have happened.

"I got offered a part in Mission: Impossible II with Tom Cruise, but they wouldn’t let me see the whole script because I might have spilled the beans. I only got my scenes. Well, I couldn’t judge from reading just those scenes what the script was like. "So I said no. And my agent said, ‘You cant say no to working with Tom Cruise!’ and I said, ‘I think I will.’

"The next day, Bryan Singer asked me to play Magneto and then Peter Jackson asked me to play Gandalf, and I said yes to both.

"Then, Bryan Singer’s first X-Men overran its preparation. It had to delay, delay, delay, delay. So I had to call up Peter Jackson and say, ‘I’m sorry. I can’t play Gandalf because X-Men, which I agreed to do first, is overrunning.’

"And Peter Jackson said, ‘Well, I’ll keep it free for you. Let me know what happens.’ I told Bryan Singer and he said, ‘Well, you must do Gandalf. I’ll make sure you get out in time.’ And he did – with three days to spare.

"Meanwhile, Mission Impossible was put off, put off, put off. And if I had decided to do that, I wouldn’t have been in X-Men and I wouldn’t have been in Lord Of The Rings."

The British thespian has been acting since he was at school and has won six Olivier awards and a Tony for his stage work. But on the big screen it is the roles of Gandalf and Magneto that have made him a global star and won him legions of fans all over the world.

Sir Ian said: "It’s all about luck – being there at the right time and ready for it. You can’t prepare for luck. I’ve learned that you’ve got to be ready for the luck when it arrives, but you’re going to need the luck."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

He done screwed up. MI series is successful but it is a Tom Cruise vehicle so all other actors in them are there to enhance the Cruse Experience. But, Wolverine, which I'm not the biggest fan of, is an iconic career making role. Just ask a certain actor who has played him a billion times.  L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Actually Dougray scott said yes to wolverine. It was the overruns that mckellan alludes to on mi2 that forced scott to drop the part, as he'd already been filming mi but it's filming originally was not supposed to coincide with xmen, as I recall

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It is difficult to imagine anyone other than Hugh Jackman playing Wolverine at this point.  Would it have spawned its own movies if Dougray Scott had played the part?

I wholeheartedly believe that the Wolverine movies (that includes the X men movies) were made out of Bryan Singers attempt to woo Hugh Jackman.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Except X-3 and the first Wolverine movie were made when he was no longer involved with the franchise.

Then again, First Class had barely a cameo and then when he was back in the saddle for Days of Future Past, there he was back in the center.