PRE-LOAD is now available!

Hurt butts incoming!

Relax folks.

I don't know - maybe its because people like Chris Roberts respecting his fans and always putting them first has spoiled me - but I feel backers should be number 1 priority in all situations.

I suppose thats why Chris Roberts broke 75 million in funding and has its own free hype machine lessons should have been learned.

Another game I bought gave out the steam preload keys months in advance. This is what should have been done!

@Cymelion I agree in principle but only by how far one distinguishes the difference between a consumer and a backer. Please provide evidence where they promised exclusive right to the game before official launch. When the Kickstarter began, the informal (and customary) belief was that you purchased/invested into the game early and depending on your pledge, the benefits you were guaranteed to receive. Nowhere was it stated that you were to get your keys earlier. You are NOT entitled to said keys earlier, as it was NOT inferred NOR stated in any press release that backers would get keys earlier.

I will concede, as mentioned earlier, there should be discussion on what backers can INFORMALLY expect from a studio/project they have backed. That is one where Obsidian will have to soul search on and in my opinion, should have spent a little time. Hindsight is 20/20 and Obsidian will mull on this, whether they set up another Kickstarter or not.

He already said that it's about RESPECT and not about legal stuff or promises. It just doesn't feel like backers have a really high stand so shortly before release at Obsidian, no matter what they tell in the documentary. No warm words, no actual communication or conversation, no "sign of good will", no visible attempt to actually talk to the backers. Just business and "fulfilling duty", doing what is necessary. That's just disappointing imho. Call it lack of heart or lack of enthusiasm if you want.

About Star Citizen: people here talk about community stand and involvement and NOT about the game itself. Two completely different things. Learn to separate this please.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

@Cymelion I agree in principle but only by how far one distinguishes the difference between a consumer and a backer. Please provide evidence where they promised exclusive right to the game before official launch. When the Kickstarter began, the informal (and customary) belief was that you purchased/invested into the game early and depending on your pledge, the benefits you were guaranteed to receive. Nowhere was it stated that you were to get your keys earlier. You are NOT entitled to said keys earlier, as it was NOT inferred NOR stated in any press release that backers would get keys earlier.

I will concede, as mentioned earlier, there should be discussion on what backers can INFORMALLY expect from a studio/project they have backed. That is one where Obsidian will have to soul search on and in my opinion, should have spent a little time. Hindsight is 20/20 and Obsidian will mull on this, whether they set up another Kickstarter or not.

Common decency towards financial backers shouldn't be so little that this is to be "expected" you're correct nothing was discussed. However they also never said they'd be supplying free review copies with the ability to stream it to everyone. Or discussed that with fans.

The people who made this game are not novices to the industry they know your fans are your greatest asset - they should have done more to respect them in my opinion.

• Like 1

The strategy guide has shipped from Amazon, but no game or key yet. With my luck it'll probably be a 1 month extra wait, just like it was with Bloodborne - I won't be getting that until April 27th because it was delayed.

Mine still has no information on shipping yet. :S

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Call me when Star Citizen's massive funding campaign actually results in a game. I'll be playing this.

I don't have your number, but I was playing Arena Commander the other day.  Is the game they are set out to make finished?  No.  Has the funding resulted in a game?  Yes, but it is a small dog fighting module, and soon it will be a FPS module, and then it will turn into a city-wide social module.  I can play it now, and I can attest that it has in fact resulted in a game.  They actually add stuff at a pretty quick pace.  

• Like 1

Common decency towards financial backers shouldn't be so little that this is to be "expected" you're correct nothing was discussed. However they also never said they'd be supplying free review copies with the ability to stream it to everyone. Or discussed that with fans.

The people who made this game are not novices to the industry they know your fans are your greatest asset - they should have done more to respect them in my opinion.

That's normal and typical game-release marketing. There's no reason to think they WOULDN'T provide stream and review copies prior to release; in fact, most of the time not doing that is a sign that the company knows what they are putting out is crap and don't want bad reviews to hurt their first-day sales.

• Like 1

I wonder if Cymelion knows exactly how much the Star Citizen developers have given away to streamers to promote the game...

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Star Citizen - seems to be making money hand over fist - Largest Crowd Funded game ever.

75 Million Dollars to date - Chris Roberts does this by putting the fans first and he gets way more respect from the media - because they report everything he does even though they don't get review copies.

Damn dawg you brought the discussion to a new level by comparing PoE to Star Citizen.

You're right on this, the latter doesn't need any media coverage already, the hype around this game is just massive. This is not the case of PoE.

Now Obsidian and Paradox could decide not to send some review versions for the game to be covered and just hope for mainstream websites and magazines to review the game properly while they're used to posting reviews day 1. That'd be a pretty stupid gamble but hey, at least the backers aren't mad :> come on...

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 1

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

Still not released yet. It could crash and burn. There's also been press events where they've seen builds/video before backers. Seriously you need to settle the **** down.

Most videos are released at the same time to backers - And early builds are on CIG PC's at conventions so the media can't take it home and play for hours before backers.

Respect is what I am getting at here - Obsidian has very little for its backers it seems.

I wonder why it's so important if somebody else in the world has preloaded the game a few hours before me. You know, they get to have the warm joy of sitting there with a preloaded game. 

Ostensibly, it's about respect. OK, that makes sense. Or it would, if this was something consequential. Where do you draw the line between 'respecting backers' and 'some backers being petty and impatient for no good reason'? 

The big thing for me will be how the real launch is handled. Will backer keys be distributed properly, and will the global launch across Steam and GOG work fine, so that all backers on all platforms, not to mention other paying gamers, can fire it up properly on Day 1? That's what matters. 

I paid Obsidian so they can focus on making a great game. Not so that they bow to me and pretend they are my slave, and waste time "telling me nice things" when they should be working day and night to get the release done.

• Like 16

I wonder if Cymelion is a troll or just toxic person?

Why? Because he tells the truth?

Go back to kindergarden if you can't stomach different opinions...

@Tigranes

Different people have different expectations and wishes.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

That's normal and typical game-release marketing. There's no reason to think they WOULDN'T provide stream and review copies prior to release; in fact, most of the time not doing that is a sign that the company knows what they are putting out is crap and don't want bad reviews to hurt their first-day sales.

Actually by not releasing it to its backers and fans first - it shows they have no confidence in the game.

Because you know ... the people who bought the game would be playing it and streaming it themselves - then give the Media the same access. You would get way more vote of confidence by word of mouth - Already I am telling my friends who haven't bought it not to bother buying the game because they don't respect their fans.

He already said that it's about RESPECT and not about legal stuff or promises. It just doesn't feel like backers have a really high stand so shortly before release at Obsidian, no matter what they tell in the documentary. No warm words, no actual communication or conversation, no "sign of good will", no visible attempt to actually talk to the backers. Just business and "fulfilling duty", doing what is necessary. That's just disappointing imho. Call it lack of heart or lack of enthusiasm if you want.

Define respect. In this case, define what you want a game developer to do in order to "respect" their backers. I see it as a legal issue because I don't have these illusions that I was integral to the game development process. I paid money, I supported a company I like and they deliver on what they promise. You may think their approach as cold or transactional...but in NO WAY have they disrespected their backers. You, and those who take umbrage, have inferred disrespect from actions that are meant to carry as much exposure as possible for the game's success. Disagree with their process you may, but do not call it a lack of respect.

• Like 2

Sigh.. So steam users get to pre-load meanwhile the rest of us get screwed? 

I was really hoping to be able to pre-load it cause I live in australia and we have **** fkn internet and its going to take me days to get the game down.

I wonder if Cymelion is a troll or just toxic person?

A troll wouldn't have spent $140 blindly on a game - I'm a backer who is pissed off because I have been treated better and know the difference between being respected and not.

Actually by not releasing it to its backers and fans first - it shows they have no confidence in the game.

Because you know ... the people who bought the game would be playing it and streaming it themselves - then give the Media the same access. You would get way more vote of confidence by word of mouth - Already I am telling my friends who haven't bought it not to bother buying the game because they don't respect their fans.

I do not think its about having no confidence in the game, i just think obsidian is very new to Kickstarter and lacks really on communication with the backers in some regards.

Star Citizen is a good example of how it can be done a bit closer to the backers. 

Also i do not think that they thought of a way to give backers their games on steam without giving it to preorder customers on steam as well.

There is no .gif strong enough to exemplify how friggin' hilarious I think this comment is.

Also, Star Citizen got $75m because it was crowdsourcing for four years.

Edited by Bryy
  • Like 7

Exactly. It's NOT about gaming media or streamers gettting the game earlier. It's about backers no getting the game at the same time of streamers and gaming media. It's like Obsidian distrusts their own backers that they can't understand or stomach a version without a "day one" patch for a few days of so. If you ask me giving backers the game early would have been an even more massive marketing scheme than just giving it to streamers, just like you said. They seem to forget that WE, the backers, are probably their most loyal and enthusiast fans and we want to share our enthusiasm with others. But if we have no chance to play the game we just do something else in the meantime. So giving the game earlier to backers would have been a win situation for everybody. That's what Chris Robert has already understood. That's one of the reasons why Star Citizen is THAT popular tbh. Putting backers and the fanbase first. Treat them right and they give back, short term and long term..

• Like 3
35167v4.jpg