PRE-LOAD is now available!

I think the great thing for us all to realize is that upset feelings or defensive ones, we're all really owning this game in concept as well as truth. I'm excited to see this community move forward once we all have the game. Backers or not won't matter, we'll all be enjoying this world we've invested so much into.

• Like 1

I wonder why it's so important if somebody else in the world has preloaded the game a few hours before me. You know, they get to have the warm joy of sitting there with a preloaded game. 

Ostensibly, it's about respect. OK, that makes sense. Or it would, if this was something consequential. Where do you draw the line between 'respecting backers' and 'some backers being petty and impatient for no good reason'? 

The big thing for me will be how the real launch is handled. Will backer keys be distributed properly, and will the global launch across Steam and GOG work fine, so that all backers on all platforms, not to mention other paying gamers, can fire it up properly on Day 1? That's what matters. 

I paid Obsidian so they can focus on making a great game. Not so that they bow to me and pretend they are my slave, and waste time "telling me nice things" when they should be working day and night to get the release done.

Actually yeah dude - preloading in some countries suck.

People can have downloads take a large amount of time so the earlier the better. However I am more incensed that people in the Media have had it for a week before backers, when they easily could have both had the early copies. It wouldn't have effected their media coverage at all in fact it would have helped it.

Actually by not releasing it to its backers and fans first - it shows they have no confidence in the game.

There is no .gif strong enough to exemplify how friggin' hilarious I think this comment is.

Also, Star Citizen got $75m because it was crowdsourcing for four years.

butthurt.png

divadlo-jary-cimrmana-report-nelson.jpg

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

That's normal and typical game-release marketing. There's no reason to think they WOULDN'T provide stream and review copies prior to release; in fact, most of the time not doing that is a sign that the company knows what they are putting out is crap and don't want bad reviews to hurt their first-day sales.

Actually by not releasing it to its backers and fans first - it shows they have no confidence in the game.

Because you know ... the people who bought the game would be playing it and streaming it themselves - then give the Media the same access. You would get way more vote of confidence by word of mouth - Already I am telling my friends who haven't bought it not to bother buying the game because they don't respect their fans.

First of all, none of the backers bought the game--we invested in the company and were given various rewards in return. Second of all, I don't see how a normal game release from a well-known studio indicates a lack of confidence in the game. That makes no sense whatsoever.

What your saying is that since Obsidian didn't give us extra free stuff beyond what was promised for no reason, they must not be sure about their game. That is................interesting.

• Like 5

There is no .gif strong enough to exemplify how friggin' hilarious I think this comment is.

Also, Star Citizen got $75m because it was crowdsourcing for four years.

butthurt.png

divadlo-jary-cimrmana-report-nelson.jpg

I was going for something beyond the Michael Jordan Laughs .gif, but I'm not sure such a thing exists.

• Like 2

Or maybe, you know, Obsidian would like the backers to play a finished version of the game, and not deal with 70,000 backers crapping all over the Internet saying I BACKED THIS GAME BUT ITS BUGGY, GOD OBSIDIAN DOESN'T RESPECT ITS BACKERS.

(Oh, that's right, many backers did get to play the Backer Beta. For months. But I guess that doesn't count as respect either?)

• Like 15

I wonder why it's so important if somebody else in the world has preloaded the game a few hours before me. You know, they get to have the warm joy of sitting there with a preloaded game. 

Ostensibly, it's about respect. OK, that makes sense. Or it would, if this was something consequential. Where do you draw the line between 'respecting backers' and 'some backers being petty and impatient for no good reason'? 

The big thing for me will be how the real launch is handled. Will backer keys be distributed properly, and will the global launch across Steam and GOG work fine, so that all backers on all platforms, not to mention other paying gamers, can fire it up properly on Day 1? That's what matters. 

I paid Obsidian so they can focus on making a great game. Not so that they bow to me and pretend they are my slave, and waste time "telling me nice things" when they should be working day and night to get the release done.

its important for those of us with **** internet. I can barely get 300kb down its going to take me days to get the game. If I were treated equally to someone on steam I could be downloading it now while at work so come release day I can actually play like everyone else..

• Like 1

Because no one has successfully combined the Picard Facepalm with the Chuck Norris Falcon Punch. 

All Stop. On Screen.

its important for those of us with **** internet. I can barely get 300kb down its going to take me days to get the game. If I were treated equally to someone on steam I could be downloading it now while at work so come release day I can actually play like everyone else..

I agree that preload is useful. That's why, as BAdler said in this very thread:

"I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow."

I assume handing out 70,000 keys is complicated business, which is why it's taking some time. Every KS I've been on has had problems with keys.

• Like 1

I will concede, as mentioned earlier, there should be discussion on what backers can INFORMALLY expect from a studio/project they have backed. That is one where Obsidian will have to soul search on and in my opinion, should have spent a little time. Hindsight is 20/20 and Obsidian will mull on this, whether they set up another Kickstarter or not.

That's where you're more hopeful than I am. I feel this was a calculated decision through and through. In any case it should be standard practice that backers get everything possible first. A simple clause that says that backers get to play it as soon as possible. It's not asap when you make calculated decisions based on marketing before letting your backers(who already paid) play the game. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Still not released yet. It could crash and burn. There's also been press events where they've seen builds/video before backers. Seriously you need to settle the **** down.

Most videos are released at the same time to backers - And early builds are on CIG PC's at conventions so the media can't take it home and play for hours before backers.

Respect is what I am getting at here - Obsidian has very little for its backers it seems.

The devs of game still months, if not years, before a release and one going to be released in less than a week or two vet different beasts. It's like comparing how one person acts at the start of an exam and another two minutes before time is up. Regardless, of what you think Obsidian did what they thought would give them most profit, and as a backer I'd be upset if they didn't. I gave obsidian hundreds of dollars because I love the games they make and I want them to be successful.

If you feel like obsidian trying to be successful is disrespectful, than you have no idea what "disrespect" actually means.

Edited by Tigranes
:P
  • Like 2

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Or maybe, you know, Obsidian would like the backers to play a finished version of the game, and not deal with 70,000 backers crapping all over the Internet saying I BACKED THIS GAME BUT ITS BUGGY, GOD OBSIDIAN DOESN'T RESPECT ITS BACKERS.

(Oh, that's right, many backers did get to play the Backer Beta. For months. But I guess that doesn't count as respect either?)

You really think the difference between a two-weeks old build and the release build is THAT big? In that case Obsidian's time management or QE just sucked again...

And obviously the streamers mostly liked the game although it's not the final build. So why trusting them and distrusting the backers? It's not like backers HAD to play the game before release. Everybody could wait for the day-one patch. But you'd have a choice...

35167v4.jpg

Obsidian should hire a TimeLord to make 10AM Pacific Time the exact same time all around the world, instead of different times in different places. For some people, that'll be right when they're getting off of work, and can conveniently start playing the game immediately, while, for others, that'll be at the start of their work day.

Clearly they hate their backers, because they have allowed timezones to exist, u_u...

GYAH! All they did was bust their arses to get this game made, when obviously they could've been flawless, angelic beings who willed everything to go exactly as planned. NO respect whatsoever, u_u...

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Exactly. It's NOT about gaming media or streamers gettting the game earlier. It's about backers no getting the game at the same time of streamers and gaming media. It's like Obsidian distrusts their own backers that they can't understand or stomach a version without a "day one" patch for a few days of so. If you ask me giving backers the game early would have been an even more massive marketing scheme than just giving it to streamers, just like you said. They seem to forget that WE, the backers, are probably their most loyal and enthusiast fans and we want to share our enthusiasm with others. But if we have no chance to play the game we just do something else in the meantime. So giving the game earlier to backers would have been a win situation for everybody. That's what Chris Robert has already understood. That's one of the reasons why Star Citizen is THAT popular tbh. Putting backers and the fanbase first. Treat them right and they give back, short term and long term..

You get it - I don't mind people who have blind faith - hence why there is no name calling or attitude in this. I'm angry at Obsidian not the people disagreeing with me. I wish they were as angry as me, but I can respect them not being so. I won't bring backer tiers into it either because that doesn't help either.

It's not about the backers its about Obsidian being too used to the publisher model and not brave enough to truly embrace and respect their fans.

• Like 1

That's normal and typical game-release marketing. There's no reason to think they WOULDN'T provide stream and review copies prior to release; in fact, most of the time not doing that is a sign that the company knows what they are putting out is crap and don't want bad reviews to hurt their first-day sales.

Because you know ... the people who bought the game would be playing it and streaming it themselves - then give the Media the same access. You would get way more vote of confidence by word of mouth - Already I am telling my friends who haven't bought it not to bother buying the game because they don't respect their fans.

Exactly. It's NOT about gaming media or streamers gettting the game earlier. It's about backers no getting the game at the same time of streamers and gaming media. It's like Obsidian distrusts their own backers that they can't understand or stomach a version without a "day one" patch for a few days of so. If you ask me giving backers the game early would have been an even more massive marketing scheme than just giving it to streamers, just like you said. They seem to forget that WE, the backers, are probably their most loyal and enthusiast fans and we want to share our enthusiasm with others. But if we have no chance to play the game we just do something else in the meantime. So giving the game earlier to backers would have been a win situation for everybody. That's what Chris Robert has already understood. That's one of the reasons why Star Citizen is THAT popular tbh. Putting backers and the fanbase first. Treat them right and they give back, short term and long term..

Every little youtuber has a key. 

29 Subscriber

That is wow, I have no words for this. 

I hope Obsidian will do it better, next time. The game will be great and I'm happy to be a part of it. 

• Like 1

You really think the difference between a two-weeks old build and the release build is THAT big? In that case Obsidian's time management or QE just sucked again...

And obviously the streamers mostly liked the game although it's not the final build. So why trusting them and distrusting the backers? It's not like backers HAD to play the game before release. Everybody could wait for the day-one patch. But you'd have a choice...

It's not a question of trust. I'm sure it looks that way to you, because you're determined that every decision Obsidian has taken must have had something to do with trust and respect. 

Why not just get rid of the 'release' then, by your logic? Backers should have a choice to play the gold master build, the 2 month build, the beta build, the alpha build, the pre-alpha build...

Obsidian has the right to decide when the game is done, and to offer that finished game on the release day. Obsidian also has a right to offer media copies, like many many other games - both Kickstarted and publisher - have done. I don't find that disrespectful. But then, I have a feeling nothing will persuade you.

• Like 5

I agree that preload is useful. That's why, as BAdler said in this very thread:

"I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow."

I assume handing out 70,000 keys is complicated business, which is why it's taking some time. Every KS I've been on has had problems with keys.

Maybe they should have started a week ago when they were handing out Media packages that the media are having no issues playing?

"You didn't give me extra free stuff for no reason. Why do you hate me so much?"

It's not extra free stuff - I'm not asking for the 5,000 buck tier - just asking to be on the same page as the people that got review copies.

Start making fun of me all you like and posting memes - it doesn't change the fact that some backers are upset by this. They will be more than happy to take it out on Obsidian again I have no beef with other backers who are happy to come second - some people don't mind that. But I am permitted to voice my objection and have been doing so without calling names, using all caps or generally making an arse of myself.

I think it's just too much trouble to differ between backers and all the other customers. Is it somewhat disappointing that whomever gets a FREE copy before the people who have paid for it get it? Sure, I get that, but it must be hell for them right now before release and ultimately I'd rather have them focus on the game.

Also, this way we won't get a pre-release version, but the one with the day 1 patch, that's a nice consolation, is it not?