PRE-LOAD is now available!

I can never get anything faster via Steam. It's like it's stuck there. Maybe its the router/lan cable hubby has me using or just Crapcast. Oh well, 20-25 minutes or so total is fast enough for me.

Is it tomorrow morning yet? *rubs hands gleefully*

preload1.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Say, does anyone know where you can find the game files when the preload is completed? I usually find my installed Steam games in E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common but I cannot see it anywhere. I was going to take a peak inside to see if I could already find the soundtrack files in there (probably not). So where o where are those  6 gigs of data hidden?

The files are in [...]\steamapps\depotcache  (291651_depotcache_1.csd) right now because they're still encrypted. Once the game releases it will get decrypted and put in the common folder.

I'm not worried about how long it took to get the keys. I won't be able to play until Saturday/Sunday anyways. What did kinda upset me is that I can go to Dark Horse Digital and get the guidebook now but I can't read my backer copy yet.

I can never get anything faster via Steam. It's like it's stuck there. Maybe its the router/lan cable hubby has me using or just Crapcast. Oh well, 20-25 minutes or so total is fast enough for me.

preload1.jpg

I wish I could get that speed, my maximum is 1.3 MB/S, haha.  Hope the download doesn't take too long once it releases on gog.

Wow, this thread... many people who do not understand press, PR, capitalism, or probably a lot more.

Why in the WORLD would Obsidian put the backers before the press at this point. The backers wont be sales. The press will reach them.

Why would we, as backers, even WANT to be priviledged like that. Do we not want the game to be a success? To sell massive amounts of copies? Did we just back just to get this game knowing it's a one-shot amongs AAA-RPG's? Or did we back so more of these types of games could be made after PoE for us.

If the second, which includes my backing, why would we want sales to stagnate? I definitely wouldn't want that. I want as many copies sold as possible. If press before us grants that, so be it. It's a small price to pay to get more of these types of games in the future rather than people saying 'I knew nobody would want those games anymore these days - just look at the sales figure'

Is that a hard concept to grasp? Do you really, REALLY, want to put yourself ahead just to put the future of RPG's like this at risk? REALLY?

Your base assumption is imho incorrect that nowadays press is the most important marketing channel for games of that kind. I'd say for PC exclusive games of some niche appeal word of mouth from enthusiastic fans is an even more powerful marketing tool. That's why streamers on youtube get more and more important as well.

I don't see how giving copies to backers earlier should result in lower sales. You might elaborate on that?

But you just missed the point and your whole rant is useless anyway because nobody here criticizes Obsidian for giving out review copies to the press before release. We criticize them for not giving out game copies to backers at the same time.

You didn't need to immediately confirm my point... it stood well by itself, but thanks for reinforcing the speech with an example.

Yeah, those youtubers would be the PR, yeah. But thanks for saying my point is incorrect and then saying my point should be my point. Or somesuch.

It's already said. Piracy is the most obvious one. It's easy to keep a tight leash on the PR, who needs to sign NDA's and face penalties upon breaking their rules. There's next to no way to confirm these NDA's on 75K+ backers. By all means giving it to us early is like stabbing themselves in the neck... it's not disrepect, but a plain stupid thing to do. And somehow you can't see it...

Yes, yes, you do. Your entire freakin point is "The press got the game before me, whaaaahaaaa, *entitlement issue* whaaaaa"... whatever you may deign to call it.

They should've given us our Steam keys as soon as the KS ended tbh

blink.png

They should have released the game as soon as the KS ended tbh!

I mean, how hard can things like making a game or having a destribution infrastructure be? Some games are made by a single person. Ad hox, that means Obsidian can also do that for Pillars of Eternity. It's a disgrace they are so incompetent!

Thankfully I know everything about game development, and my own suggestion is they should scrap everything and remake it using the Unreal Engine. I've played a bit with the editor when I was 7, didn't understand it, but can tell them all about it, and how to make their game awesome with it, and have a 40000 hours playtime with a billion maps and randomly generated foes and weapons and graphics that make [Enter latest new graphic game here] look like childsplay.

HONEST!

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

They should have released the game as soon as the KS ended tbh!

I mean, how hard can things like making a game or having a destribution infrastructure be? Some games are made by a single person. Ad hox, that means Obsidian can also do that for Pillars of Eternity. It's a disgrace they are so incompetent!

Thankfully I know everything about game development, and my own suggestion is they should scrap everything and remake it using the Unreal Engine. I've played a bit with the editor when I was 7, didn't understand it, but can tell them all about it, and how to make their game awesome with it, and have a 40000 hours playtime with a billion maps and randomly generated foes and weapons and graphics that make [Enter latest new graphic game here] look like childsplay.

HONEST!

Sounds good. Make it so, Number One. :p

Oh, but just make sure there's PhysX!

Edited by Ink Blot

preload1.jpg

I wish I could get that speed, my maximum is 1.3 MB/S, haha.  Hope the download doesn't take too long once it releases on gog.

I only ge 300KB/s

Whenever I try to activate my Key on steam and pre load the game to play right away tomorrow I get the message:

"Pillars of Eternity has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check the Steam news to find out the release time.

Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

Whenever I try to activate my Key on steam and pre load the game to play right away tomorrow I get the message:

"Pillars of Eternity has not been officially released, and cannot be unlocked at this time. Please check the Steam news to find out the release time.

Steam will notify you when the game becomes unlocked."

If you've tried to redeem the key, check in your Library and see if the game shows up. I got the same message, but it was in my Library and let me pre-load.

preload1.jpg

I only ge 300KB/s

Ouch, good luck to you.