The Latest Reading Thread

Raithe

Monster Hunter Nemesis. Frankenstein's monster is a fallen angel that stole his reanimated skin suit from the Morningstar and was years later hired by Ben Franklin to help protect the US from things that go bump in the night. Unfortunately, Lucy's gotten a skin suit of his very own. Technically a part of the Monster Hunter International series but can be read alone.

• Like 1

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Flann O'Brien - The Third Policeman. I'm about halfway through. I'm beginning to think it may be about a bicycle. I'm also in theory reading Carlyle's Sartor Resartus, but those mid-19th Century sentences which clog whole pages at a time were wearing me out.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Aaand the first book by the man behind the Hugo controversy is now up for free on both the Baen Free Library and Amazon. As the man says

My publisher follows the same basic marketing philosophy as crack dealers. The first hit is free! If you like it, there is a whole lot more where that came from.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

I went through all the Harry Potter books while back. I think I was bit too far from the target audience with first two books, but after those I really enjoyed the rest of the series. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Heh. Oracle by Michelle West just got published. The latest part of an on-going heavy fantasy series.

I threw a message at the author on her forums over my appreciation, and she replied with "It always amazes me that people can read - in less than a day - what takes me so long to write >.<."

:thumbsup: 

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, apparently Tanith Lee passed away.

http://www.tor.com/2015/05/26/tanith-lee-in-remembrance/

I'd not read as much as I'd liked of her work - just bits and pieces here, but hopefully I'll get to it someday as I did like what I'd read.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Trying to finish this book on Russian history but am fighting fatigue (some joke about Russian defensive strategies there), so maybe I will do the unprecedented and leave a book unfinished for a while without disgust for it. Got Lock In by Scalzi, he lost me as Old Man's War wore on, but shouldn't be too unpleasant.

Also have the latest book by Kloos to read, Angles of Attack, that's pretty fun pulpy mil-scifi series.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Speaking of Russian books, I finally got around to reading The Master and Margarita. It was really good, like the Kurt Rambis of good books.

I was on the fence with Master and Margarita. You and Hurlshot had it upjumped on my to read list. But the Kurt Rambis reference just put it way over the top. It'll be my next book.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

There are two books I have permanently sitting on my desk until I find the right student.  Bulgakov's Master and Margarita and Graham Green's The Quiet American.  I believe everything you need to know about the world lies within them.

• Like 1

Speaking of Russian books, I finally got around to reading The Master and Margarita. It was really good, like the Kurt Rambis of good books.

Well might as well read it now, hopefully it won't defeat me like Anna Karenina

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well might as well read it now, hopefully it won't defeat me like Anna Karenina

Nah, it's a much easier read than Tolstoy or Dostoevsky.  Bulgakov was more of a playwright, so he wrote for the stage.

I really should make some time to re-read The Count Of Monte Cristo soon.  I find that's one I pretty much read once a year.

I really should make some time to re-read The Count Of Monte Cristo soon.  I find that's one I pretty much read once a year.

I think Dumas was paid by the word for that one. He could have cut out quite a bit without hurting the story.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Now reading Valley of the Shadow by Ralph Peters. It's a historical fiction novel about the event leading up to the Battle of Cedar Creek in the US Civil War. I just started it but so far it's really well done.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Being no One

Really interesting book on epistemology, I can now say that i'm a nihilist and that's ok because no one exists.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Three Body Problem

I'm reading it for Hugo voting and it's fantastic. So far it's my shoe-in for best novel.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think Dumas was paid by the word for that one. He could have cut out quite a bit without hurting the story.

That's one of the few books that's ever defeated me.  I had to read it in high school, and while everyone else apparently read the 300 page abridged version, I picked up the 1000 page unabridged version.  After 700 pages of nothing really happening, I just couldn't take anymore, and never finished it.

I keep meaning to read Patrick Rothfuss's newest book (The Slow Regard of Silent Things), but I really haven't been in a reading mood lately.  Not sure why, just can't read for more than 20 minutes or so without getting really restless.

That's one of the few books that's ever defeated me.  I had to read it in high school, and while everyone else apparently read the 300 page abridged version, I picked up the 1000 page unabridged version.  After 700 pages of nothing really happening, I just couldn't take anymore, and never finished it.

I keep meaning to read Patrick Rothfuss's newest book (The Slow Regard of Silent Things), but I really haven't been in a reading mood lately.  Not sure why, just can't read for more than 20 minutes or so without getting really restless.

The start is slow, and it can get bogged down a touch. But when you get through the lessons of the Abbe Farria, and the escape from the Chateau D'ilf... Then you get the joys of slow-paced vengeance spilled out in that Dumas style. Sure, it isn't quite as action-oriented as the likes of the Three Musketeers, but I find it a good romp with plenty of detail.