RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

Possibly future good news if they manage to regroup in a new studio. But yeah, sad.

Na... they aren't going to regroup anything. EA is where good studios die. EA has been cannibalizing game studios for about 20 years. Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, Westwood, and many others. Bought by EA, used, abused, eaten up, discarded.

We'll see the same happen to Bioware in a few years.

• Like 2

Possibly future good news if they manage to regroup in a new studio. But yeah, sad.

Na... they aren't going to regroup anything. EA is where good studios die. EA has been cannibalizing game studios for about 20 years. Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, Westwood, and many others. Bought by EA, used, abused, eaten up, discarded.

Maxis has been with EA for 15 years, and the Sims was developed under that partnership.  I'd agree with you on the others, but the EA/Maxis relationship is a tough sell in teh EAvil Empire argument.   

Umm...Maxis isn't dead. They're still going to be cranking out Sims.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

And Bioware  hasn't changed at all since at all since merging with EA, they're still crap but have enough fan base( and plenty  newcomers flocking in) to earn plenty from selling their idiotic designs. And that's why EA wanted them in the first place. Same kind of evil, all at once place since 2007.

• Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Maxis has been with EA for 15 years, and the Sims was developed under that partnership.  I'd agree with you on the others, but the EA/Maxis relationship is a tough sell in teh EAvil Empire argument.   

Did not EA take the Bullfrog guys away from a DK3, and put them to work on a Harry Potter title?

(That's pretty evil in my book.)

:fdevil:

I was pretty sickened by what happened with Westwood too.

Edited by Gizmo

And Bioware  hasn't changed at all since at all since merging with EA, they're still crap but have enough fan base( and plenty  newcomers flocking in) to earn plenty from selling their idiotic designs. And that's why EA wanted them in the first place. Same kind of evil, all at once place since 2007.

If anything, DA3 made it pretty clear that Bioware was still in the drivers seat.  They took all the criticisms of DA2 and made massive changes to try and fix the IP.  You can argue that they simply went in another bad direction, but they definitely were given the rope to overhaul the game.

Giant publishers decide what pitches they fund or don't a developer is not in the drivers seat. Always online, DRM, and social media features come from the publisher. Bioware are the ones behind having a franchise go from successor to BG/NWN to ****ty 3rd person action RPG to boring faux MMORPG. I don't think they were trying to "fix" anything, they wanted to turn Dragon Age into Mass Effect, then they wanted to turn it into The Old Republic. If Bioware start making a FPS series with a new IP, the next Dragon Age is going to be a FPSRPG.

I think the key difference between these developers before and after they started to suck, is that before they made games because they love games and they wanted to play the games they were making, afterward they're adopting a different mentality, they're chasing demographics and thinking too much about what "the players" want, or worse, listening to what they say they want. I think that mindset comes with being taken over by a publisher. Of course, gamers are to blame for this, they reward **** at every turn.

• Like 3

This week in science+video game news, a project of University of Pittsburgh/DARPA: A paralyzed woman flew an F-35 fighter jet in a simulator — using only her mind

Jan-flight-simulator.jpg

• Like 3

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

If anything, DA3 made it pretty clear that Bioware was still in the drivers seat.  They took all the criticisms of DA2 and made massive changes to try and fix the IP.  You can argue that they simply went in another bad direction, but they definitely were given the rope to overhaul the game.

I have to raise this, so many people on these forums seems to think DA:I was a bad game. Yet the sales numbers don't reflect this and from revenue perspective the game did really well

Which begs the question, " is the game really that bad or are you guys just overly jaded and critical of anything from Bioware" ?

Food for thought perhaps  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

you're right, Twilight and 50 Shades og Grey are literary masterpieces..

I wouldn't say that but both books\movies do resonate with millions of people 

Twilight is more a teenager attraction but 50 Shades really did well with women of all ages for a number of reasons

So no need for literature elitism...just because you have disdain for something it doesn't mean its subpar :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Twilight is more a teenager attraction but 50 Shades really did well with women of all ages for a number of reasons

So no need for literature elitism...just because you have disdain for something it doesn't mean its subpar :)

50 Shades is subpar because if you ever try reading it, the editing is awful, the prose is as written by a 14 year old teenager, the bdsm is BAD bdsm, and the romance is much more of an abusive manipulation than actual romance. But for some reason a large portion of the female population have found that titillating and romantic. Then again, a chunk of the population found the stalkerish behaviour of Edward Cullen in Twilight romantic. "I'm over 100 and you're 17, I'll break into your room because I like to watch you sleep...."

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Yeah you can buy billions handmade pictures all over the world from wide arrange of 'street artists' yet you really dont think they are better than what Piccaso did hu? quantity != quality

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

50 Shades is subpar because if you ever try reading it, the editing is awful, the prose is as written by a 14 year old teenager, the bdsm is BAD bdsm, and the romance is much more of an abusive manipulation than actual romance. But for some reason a large portion of the female population have found that titillating and romantic. Then again, a chunk of the population found the stalkerish behaviour of Edward Cullen in Twilight romantic. "I'm over 100 and you're 17, I'll break into your room because I like to watch you sleep...."

Have you ever asked yourself why so many women enjoy 50 shades? Do you think the women who enjoy that book can't determine for yourselves if its worthwhile? Because I can guarantee its not because the editing or prose or Romance that they like the idea and narrative

Without being dismissive have you asked any of your lady friends why they like the book...and I know you do have a large circle of female friends so I imagine some of them would have read it ?

John Milton 

TitanX

Will it be as absurdly expensive as the predecessor?

If it comes in at $999 like the previous Titans that actually won't be that bad, considering the utterly absurd specs on it.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the $1200-$1500 region.  Top of the line cards are usually rather overpriced.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Have you ever asked yourself why so many women enjoy 50 shades? Do you think the women who enjoy that book can't determine for yourselves if its worthwhile? Because I can guarantee its not because the editing or prose or Romance that they like the idea and narrative

Without being dismissive have you asked any of your lady friends why they like the book...and I know you do have a large circle of female friends so I imagine some of them would have read it ?

The interesting thing is, I know about 3 women who say they know its terrible but still enjoy it, and a whole bunch of others who loathe it to the utter foundations because it's terrible.  Although several of the women who loathe it have been in abusive relationships before so they really recognise all the manipulative behaviours the male character pulls. Also for the point of interest, I know a few people who are into the BDSM lifestyle, and they loathe it on the grounds of it being horrible, unsafe BDSM and they are scared of how the book paints BDSM, and how many of those tittilated women fans are going to try experimenting based on the books and get taken in by some of the abusive posers out there.

But, this is wandering a fair bit from the Random Games News thread now.. ;)

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think you completely missed his point there though, is the old adage that popularity doesn't always equal quality.  You can push a lot of junk if you have good marketing, after all.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think you completely missed his point there though, is the old adage that popularity doesn't always equal quality.  You can push a lot of junk if you have good marketing, after all.

Actually he didn't miss the point, his point was that just because something is popular doesn't mean it is subpar. 

Corollarily speaking, just because something is unpopular doesn't make it quality either.

(Can't speak to either book, never read either).

That said, a lot of the bioware hate reminds me of the old alternative music crowd where once an obscure band signed a contract with a label to make an album they'd sold out and worthy of only derrision.  Perhaps I'm wrong, but often times the people who seem to pick apart the current Bioware game often criticise it for doing the same things that BG or BG2 did.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man