What you did today

LadyCrimson

Physically lifting cars out of the snow is awesome, but I still wouldn't call it practical.  tongue.png

What I meant with practical/functional strength is strength useful outside the gym, for some reason quite a lot of people think if you only lift barbells and dumbbells thats all you can do. Once you lift something that isn't a barbell or dumbbell you crap out. Thats the dumb theory of strength vs. practical/functional strength, usually spread by cross-fitters etc.

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Yeah, my wife is not a big fan of Crossfit.  But I thought they use barbells for a bunch of exercises?

Personally I get enough wear and tear playing hockey, I don't need to speed through gym exercises and risk more injury.  I'll take my gym time slow and steady.

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife is not a big fan of Crossfit.  But I thought they use barbells for a bunch of exercises?

True, they use bastardized lifting exercises, but also tire flips, medicine ball throwing and a bunch of wrong pull up variants because of that ''functional'' strength. I'm not a fan of cross fit either, they use awful form and jerking which is known to cause permanent joint damage over time. 

• Like 1

Been thinking about getting  a dog, since my cat died I really miss animal companionship and I'm pretty sure I could offer a dog an excellent life.  Maybe a Doberman breed, I really like their character and appearance. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Been thinking about getting  a dog, since my cat died I really miss animal companionship and I'm pretty sure I could offer a dog an excellent life.  Maybe a Doberman breed, I really like their character and appearance. 

Take the test

http://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Take the test

What a surprise, according to the tests the Doberman Pinscher would be an ideal match.  :yes:  

Take the test

Screw that, get a ****er.

EDIT:  I would just like to point out that the forum's automatic censor just turned an innocent post about C0cker spaniels into a potentially very lewd one about getting a sexually active partner or animal.

Dubble Edit: I approve of this quiz.  http://dogtime.com/quiz/dog-breed-selector/-9pxtc0isc4uo

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Seriously, how am I supposed to work like this?

IMAG0046.jpg

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Today I attended a class on asynchronous Ethernet connections via LTE network. I'd tell you it was fascinating stuff but that wouldn't quite be true. However, this is a new product we are selling so I paid attention.

Back in my hotel room now. I don't think I'm up for another 18oz steak so I'm probably in for the night.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Take the test

What a surprise, according to the tests the Doberman Pinscher would be an ideal match.  :yes:  

I could see that. They are lively, active, need lots of exercise. It's like you with 4 legs! :lol:

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Get a dachshund.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I could see that. They are lively, active, need lots of exercise. It's like you with 4 legs! laughing.gif

I've been told that I have legs growing out of my shoulders.

Get a dachshund.

I'd rather build me one with Lego.

dachsund-1.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

If you get a dog, Woldan, I demand lots of gorgeous scenery photos with a dog's curious nose sticking up in the foreground.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

is likely different in other places, but in the USA there is many dogs in shelters that need adoption or they will be euthanized.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/pet_ownership_statistics.html

"an estimated 3–4 million" cats and dogs is euthanized each year in the USA.

we got two border collie rescues, a medium-sized mutt that got maltese in it and is mostly blind but otherwise complete healthy, and something that looks like a black and white shih-poo.  gotta couple cats too.  one cat and one dog were our sister's. the border collies demand much attention and as they were abused before we acquired them, they got some personality quirks when dealing with strange people and dogs. oddly enough, both o' the border collies accepted our cats immediately. go figure.

our cc&rs allow for a max o' two pets, so don't tell on us, ok?

HA! Good Fun!

ps pet owners is frequently some o' the dumbest folks in the world. "animals love me," says the person who reaches their hand out towards a strange dog.  "don't worry, my dog is friendly," says the jogger who don't have their dog on a leash. our border collies is very obedient, but they have... issues. you do not violate their personal space uninvited. we keep 'em leashed if there is any chance o' them being near people or other pets. even so, am not certain how many near tragedies we has had 'cause o' pet owners who know better insist on being idiots. 

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Seriously, how am I supposed to work like this?

I can't make it out from the tiny picture, but is that a leopard?

~~~

Had a few impromptu drinks with friends last night. hungry on way home, had takeaway fried chicken. Awoke after four hours with horrified awareness of what was being rendered in my stomach into future chunks of me.

Does anyone think a priest could exorcise the evil out?

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

is likely different in other places, but in the USA there is many dogs in shelters that need adoption or they will be euthanized.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/pet_ownership_statistics.html

"an estimated 3–4 million" cats and dogs is euthanized each year in the USA.

we got two border collie rescues, a medium-sized mutt that got maltese in it and is mostly blind but otherwise complete healthy, and something that looks like a black and white shih-poo.  gotta couple cats too.  one cat and one dog were our sister's. the border collies demand much attention and as they were abused before we acquired them, they got some personality quirks when dealing with strange people and dogs. oddly enough, both o' the border collies accepted our cats immediately. go figure.

our cc&rs allow for a max o' two pets, so don't tell on us, ok?

HA! Good Fun!

ps pet owners is frequently some o' the dumbest folks in the world. "animals love me," says the person who reaches their hand out towards a strange dog.  "don't worry, my dog is friendly," says the jogger who don't have their dog on a leash. our border collies is very obedient, but they have... issues. you do not violate their personal space uninvited. we keep 'em leashed if there is any chance o' them being near people or other pets. even so, am not certain how many near tragedies we has had 'cause o' pet owners who know better insist on being idiots. 

I wonder if the PETA Kill Shelters are a phenomenon anywhere except the US. I've only heard about it in US context. PETA, ironically, kills more animals in their shelters than pretty much all other shelters in the world combined. That was hyperbole, naturally, but not as hyperbole as you'd think.

:lol:

You make me laugh .."   "don't worry, my dog is friendly," says the jogger " 

That's so true,,,and I have stupidly thought that about one of my dads dogs who ended up biting a guy that came to look at the phone lines....I said to him " its okay the dog won't bite". The dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback

Those were originally bred for hunting lions, right?

When I was stationed in Jacksonville my neighbor had one of those. Giant, beautiful, friendly dog and I love how the fur on the spine runs counter to the rest of the coat. I think I once read that they instinctually attack from behind so it always made me a little nervous how it would follow me to the pier and watch me fish. :lol:

• Like 2

The dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback

Those were originally bred for hunting lions, right?

When I was stationed in Jacksonville my neighbor had one of those. Giant, beautiful, friendly dog and I love how the fur on the spine runs counter to the rest of the coat. I think I once read that they instinctually attack from behind so it always made me a little nervous how it would follow me to the pier and watch me fish. :lol:

Yes you are correct, thats good general dog knowledge  :thumbsup: 

They are very effective hunting dogs, my dad has a huge garden and over the last 20 years all he has ever got was Rhodesian Ridgebacks and Jack Russels ( I love little tenacious Jack Russels  :cat: )

But the ridgebacks make excellent guard dogs and they can be highly intelligent,  when they decide to attack they don't even bark....they just bite 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tried out my new rifle and sighted in the scope, found out that the rifle is really accurate. My first 3 shot group ever with this rifle was almost hole-in-hole at 50 meters and thats just with a bipod, no rear stock support and without trying hard.  The next 5 shot group after correcting elevation wasn't bad either considering we have a storm here right now, 130km/h wind gusts which does affect accuracy more than most people would imagine. Oh and I was shooting really cheap ammo. 

(those are 5mm holes, the black dot is about thumb-sized)

czaccuracy_zps8d3ff6cd.jpg

Can't wait to find out what it can do with match grade ammo, rested on sandbags with a fully concentrated shooter at 100. 

And it goes without saying that dogs are much more maintenance than cats.

Unless you have to care about a really really ill cat like I had to for several years, 24/7. After that nothing can shock me anymore.

Edited by Woldan

Dachshunds were bred to be hunters that would go into badger dens, canine tunnel rats. Mine, however, are still planning on how to break into the fridge

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dachshunds were bred to be hunters that would go into badger dens, canine tunnel rats. Mine, however, are still planning on how to break into the fridge

They were also bred to be annoying little ****s in the presence of strange people they've yet to meet.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Not sure if I posted this in one of the Christmas or dog threads but here are my mutts

10891681_669111846539086_575191522298675

PS blame my wife for the fuzzy filter

PPS Yes, the gift behind the smaller dog is wrapped in aluminum foil

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 6

Free games updated 3/4/21