What you did today

LadyCrimson

Spent most morning taking my girlfriend to the hospital for severe abdominal pain. Looking like it was food poisoning of some type, but since she's had an ectopic pregnancy + miscarriage before and it coincided right with her ovulation (which has been causing discomfort since said pregnancy) I figured it was better safe than sorry since it could have been an infection, but that got ruled out thankfully. Ugh, family members die and I can't bring myself to show emotion but my girlfriend has stomach aches and I totally freak out. Guess I must really love her.

That was good thinking, rather err on the side of caution when it comes to these types of health developments

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Yeah, I can see how an ectopic pregnancy would make one nervous about pain associated with ovulation.  We haven't dealt with that particular issue, but with my wife's 5-to-1 ratio of pregnancies to living children, "totally freaking out" over potentially reproductively relevant problems doesn't seem odd at all. 

This weather makes me regret I don't have a pair of windproof pants. Getting warmer tomorrow though, will be a high of -8C rather than -15C.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Asked my aunt where she bought all those gorgeous looking minerals and gems, she showed me the website and now I'm on a buying spree, I NEED THEM ALL. ALL SO PRETTY AND PERFECT THOSE COLORS! BUY BUY BUY!   :w00t: 

I'm nuking the hell out of my bank account. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Asked my aunt where she bought all those gorgeous looking minerals and gems, she showed me the website and now I'm on a buying spree, I NEED THEM ALL. ALL SO PRETTY AND PERFECT THOSE COLORS! BUY BUY BUY!   :w00t:

I'm nuking the hell out of my bank account. 

Link, please?

I used to go to the mineral/gem shows in the city. I love that kind of stuff.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Link, please?

I used to go to the mineral/gem shows in the city. I love that kind of stuff.

Me too! Back when I was I kid I visited dozens of gem and mineral exhibitions, I also collected semi-gems. There was a shop in the mall I loved to visit, they had all kinds of minerals on display, those perfectly shaped stone marbles and eggs were especially fascinating to me. Entering that shop was like stepping through a portal to another world. :w00t:

Too bad it doesn't exist anymore.

Oh, and I can give you the link but its a German site so it wouldn't be of much use to you, I think.

Edited by Woldan

Aww....I see. Darn. Not that I was planning on going crazy shopping now, but I could use a good site for that sort of thing.

My great uncle had a gem/mineral shop and used to give us kids cheap examples of polished/unpolished stones. Probably where mine came from.

I have this funky rock I found on a beach that looks like the inside part of a geode with the outer stone layer largely washed away. I've been afraid to slice it open tho, to find out/see if it's anything actually interesting inside. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Funky/ugly looking, isn't it? Pretty heavy for its size (fits in my palm). It's just common quartz, I think, but I've always wondered if it's a little hollow inside or fully packed with tons of small quartz crystals. You can see a bit of crystal in the broken spot in the center, if you look closely. But the mystery may be more interesting than the actual answer...so I leave it alone. :biggrin:

rock-01.jpg

It has been a week since I've been able to have a productive debate or discussion with anyone or anything. As a student of law, this depresses the **** out of me. You see, I'm learning quite a bit of practical stuff (at least in Germany) in my studies, but I consider the philosophy behind the studies to be more important. AKA, what's the purpose of a debate, how does it help, how to go about a debate productively, and why one should act in a certain manner while doing so.

It's been a week now. I've gotten involved with political discussions, discussions about manners, discussions about video games, discussions about everything. I have not encountered a discussion in a good week without someone immediately tossing me into one of two categories (simple example, Republican or Democrat), holding prejudice against me for it, blatantly failing to see moments where I agree with their "side," and overall acting hostile as **** while presenting an attitude that this person is not here to have a productive discussion where we both enter into it willing to learn, be proven wrong and refine our opinions or takes on matters, but rather as idiots who are intent on "winning" the argument "becuz winning."

I saw a study recently....quite proud of myself cause I had the studies' findings as a personal theory for a long time, but the study just validated my thoughts. The study was on fanboyism and why people might cling to brands, for example Marvel vs. DC or Nintendo vs. Microsoft vs. Playstation. The study sought to figure out why fanboyism could end up as passionate as it does. Well, no big surprise, people take that stuff personal. To the same extent that an entrepreneur or investor might consider their company or stock portfolio an extension of their ego, as it validates their ability to make good and intelligent choices to support themselves, fanboys consider their choices in companies an extension of their own ego. As such, if someone is a fan of Nintendo for example and then Nintendo goes bankrupt, they take it personal and consider it a sign that they both make poor choices and have poor taste, and thus are less of a person for it (or less intelligent or popular or whatever).

I cannot help but feel this same attitude pollutes debate all too often. It's beyond frustrating for me to go into a discussion with a big clarifier of "BTW, I will admit point 2. is poorly cited so if someone has any information to suggest it's wrong, please say so," and the response is something like I'm an "idiot republican" or whatever because I didn't cite it better...wtf dude that's why I'm there. I'm there to learn. Why NOT present the info to people who'd have an interest in disproving it and thus may already know of sources that contradict it? And I cannot help but feel everyone's interest is always in being proven right, to the point where a LOT of people I've encountered lately shamelessly suggest every issue is binary and has two sides, and their side MUST defeat my side at all costs!

As I said, this is depressing as **** for me. I've no idea why. Perhaps it's because this is something that I think can really work and a mindset I've dedicated much of my studies to, but come to find most of the world is illiterate in it. It's very annoying to not be able to get my points across not because I feel I have any difficulty expressing them, but because I get endlessly strawman'ed and tossed into one of two molds that people repeatedly seem to have and believe all deviation from those molds is impossible. I end up repeating myself over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and nothing gets accomplished, because even when I DO finally get my point across - if it's a good one - then suddenly my debate partner has to go, didn't see it, it's "all just like your opinion man," or wants to drop it and talk about something else now. It's so freaking childish to me, and frustrating to watch as I feel I'm watching people stagnate their own personal growth.

And worst of all, I feel alone. I've been dogpiled probably thrice now within the past three days, all in very different discussions in different communities, where the moment someone was incapable of countering a point I made, they sought to validate the point for themselves by calling over others who agreed with them to just point at me and discuss what an idiot I am.

When I began my studies, I happened across an ad looking for a native english speaker studying German law to come do translation work for a law firm. Thinking the damned sign must've been posted specifically for me, I went and got the job. At the beginning of my studies the head lawyer at the firm told me that when I get into my studies, I will hit a point where I struggle to discuss matters with people who aren't lawyers. It sounded crazy to me and I asked him how that could be, and all he could say was that non-lawyers come off as very disorganized and chaotic in their thoughts during debates. It's about 3 years later now, and I wish he was wrong. But he wasn't, apparently.

And as for what triggered this post? I just had a discussion with some anti-GG people (not on this website) who began to dogpile me and call me a dirty GGer while failing to note some points I agreed with them on, then I went and found a discussion amongst GGers, who then proceeded to call me a shill anti-GGer because I suggested GG might be doing something wrong in one specific case, and then I was shouted down without any actual argument presented beyond "nothing you've said makes sense, go away." Both of these convos took place within the past two hours.

I swear I'm developing a brain tumor from this. When did we transition from wanting progress to wanting to have our egos stroked and validated?

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

@Longknife - are you talking about discussions on the internet or in real life? Because while some of what you're talking about happens face to face, certainly, it happens a ton more on the internet. A ton more. Which is why I don't generally involve myself in debates or long discussions on the internet anymore. I got tired of the circles and sometimes assumptive attitudes (including my own, at times, haha).

Anyway, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure most of the time I'm one of the disorganized and chaotic thinkers (especially as I get older, I think i become less lucid....), but I do think I understand what you mean, at least. It can definitely be frustrating. Sometimes you just have to roll with it...or keep searching for those groups/friends that are more similar re:their discussion styles. :)

Both sadly, but definitely moreso online and I can definitely agree it's worse there. In real life circumstances I'd actually accept part of the blame just cause I'm not aggressive ENOUGH when I should be. I really hate upsetting people (like it upsets me too) so when someone is adamantly clinging to ignorance in a real life convo, I may not have the heart to really insist they're dead wrong in real life. Online I don't give a **** cause I would hope most people don't lose sleep over online convos.

Still, it bothers me cause it's still present in both cases and I see no reason why online would suddenly turn people stupid. I think the reason it's worse online is the exact reason I named: people are more sensitive to each other in real life. Doesn't change that so many people are willingly ignorant though. And just for clarity, no I'm not claiming "I'm right and I'm always right," I simply go with the premise that if I'm wrong, it's possible and easy to prove me wrong. But they keep avoiding the tough points...

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

21 days of crazy Marocco is over, what a ride .. Rave in the desert for New Years, utterly blasphemous on the Prophets birthday (with a few german girls) and crazy road trip over the Atlas and around Sahara with my buddy, the Germans, 2 South Americans and a crazy Californian backpacker..

I'll upload pictures if people want :)

• Like 5

Fortune favors the bald.

I always remember a quote about the settling of Chicago  "You have to wonder what these settlers thought. Gee, I like New York but it just isn't cold enough and the crime isn't that bad. Let's go West!"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Today I had the rare occasion to actually use my strength in a practical way, girl was stuck in the snowy roadside ditch with her car, on a steep incline. Since it was a FWD car I could deadlift the right rear of the car till the front wheels had enough grip to pull it out. It took all my strength. Ha, who says you cant get practical strength through barbell and dumbbell exercises!   :p

• Like 1

Today I turned 23 and will try to register for classes during my break.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Today I had the rare occasion to actually use my strength in a practical way, girl was stuck in the snowy roadside ditch with her car, on a steep incline. Since it was a FWD car I could deadlift the right rear of the car till the front wheels had enough grip to pull it out. It took all my strength. Ha, who says you cant get practical strength through barbell and dumbbell exercises!   :p

Physically lifting cars out of the snow is awesome, but I still wouldn't call it practical.  :p

And the Happy Birthday to KaineParker.

Take the time to sniff the roses. For some day, the birthday celebrations goes from "One more Year older!"  to "I managed to survive another year" before hitting the "Wow, I've managed another year before I've hit the grave.."    :shifty:

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

@Longknife - sometimes you have to stop asking/wondering why something is and just accept that it is, and move on. Especially regarding us quirky humans. It's pretty good for the blood pressure, too.

@Gorth - That is probably my favorite Monty Python sketch. original.gif

@Kaine - Happy 23rd.

@myself - you know how sometimes you feel worse when you sleep a little too much vs. when you sleep too little? That's me this morning.

..edit: Forgot one!

@Rosbjerg - OF COURSE we want you to upload pictures, silly. Now get on that.

Today I will go pen shopping.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra