Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

Skyrim had a story?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

The Eurogamer review is utterly crushing. The end grade is good, but if you actually read the text its mostly negative

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Review said the open world design was borrowing a lot from the Ubisoft playbook. Ubisoft is horrible at open world design. 

I mean it looks gorgeous but everything is copy/paste and NPCs have nothing to say. The same 10 different minigames or collectibles in every local area overlooked by an eagles nest/radio tower/what were they called in watchdogs  and no surprises whatsoever. On top of that instant fail stealth gameplay (that's when it's game over if you are discovered) and mission failure if you should happen to step outside of the mission area. 

This is not something to emulate surely. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

That was my 10 minute impression of Asscreed II. 

At that point I realized its a game for when you're about thirteen and admire pimped up heroes staring moodily into space from whatever highest vantage point is available.

If I could roll my eyes any further at the parkour gameplay they'd fall out of my sockets and roll across the floor. Basically  everything in the environment is programmed to be a ledge, so no matter how inept at platforming you are, you'll catch on something and look as if you know what you're doing. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

One thing I'm surprised isn't mentioned more is that some locales are only bits and pieces.

Like Val Royeaux is only the marketplace.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

One thing I'm surprised isn't mentioned more is that some locales are only bits and pieces.

Like Val Royeaux is only the marketplace.

They could have done the same thing that in DA:O where Denerim was just a few locations which you could access via a minimap.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I played approx 20 hours of Skyrim, which is about my limit before I notice that the Elder Scroll's emperor has no pants and move off to something else.

Wow, someone here really likes video games...

Drowsy is the one of the masters of cynicism and melancholy on these  forums, sometimes he makes good sense 

You just don't want to read his posts when you are having a bad day, it may push you over the edge  :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I played approx 20 hours of Skyrim, which is about my limit before I notice that the Elder Scroll's emperor has no pants and move off to something else.

Wow, someone here really likes video games...

So is there a no pants mod for DA:I yet?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Game Informer went even deeper with a preview of romance options. Only two are available if your Inquisitor is female. Was hoping for perhaps slightly more all-girl activities, but I won't complain. 

Edit: Or, just eight, I guess. Nine total, eight romance-able. I wonder who the party-pooper is. Probably Varric. Which is totally fine. 

Edited by ManifestedISO
  • Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Is funny how there are still people trying to make sense of BW writing as if they don't just do whatever they feel like at the moment and disregard their canon.

I do ask David Gaider about do Bioware really have a story frame for Dragon Age, he said they have, i don't believe him

Dragon Age was actually a game based on a random stories they put in files hidden in some dusty drawers, they pull it out, add it all together, and there you go "Dragon Age : Origin", later they decide what could be the story for Dragon Age 2? And so now Dragon Age : Inquisition

That thing "Inquisition" i believe the idea come from the Sith Inquisitor class in SWTOR, they see that and got the idea "how about the main character of the next DA game is an Inquisitor?", from there they made up things like there is a secret organization in Thedas called "The Inquisition"....funnily this organization is so secret that no one ever mention about it in Dragon Age : Origin...Well, Illumiati is a secret organization isn't it, but everybody know...

Dragon Age francise was build from craps, and they try to make that craps look beautiful

Edited by Qistina

I have trouble even remembering what Dragon Age: Origins was about. The good will it garnered was more due to tactical gameplay than the storyline. 

• Like 1

I have trouble even remembering what Dragon Age: Origins was about. The good will it garnered was more due to tactical gameplay than the storyline. 

It was about stopping an archdemon which had possessed a dragon...yes I think that's right ?

John Milton 

It was about stopping an archdemon which had possessed a dragon...yes I think that's right ?

About 50 % wrong.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

And 25% of that correct percentage was about killing Darkspawn in the great outdoors.

The endless repetitive attacks of Darkspawn certainly dragged DA:O down a lot. If I encounter any of them in DA:I, I will kill them with extra fervour and disgust, and if they turn out to be too many, I might as well quit. I have developed quite a Darkspawn allergy.

DA: Awakening was like "Look who's talking!".

And DA2 and its "Look who's talking now!" take on Darkspawn was nauseating.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

The good will it garnered was more due to tactical gameplay than the storyline.

That system could have evolved into something interesting :(

Instead, they just tossed it out with the bath water. It felt (Imnsho) superior to the simplified hack and slash, single player MMO game mechanics you got to use against the endlessly spawning paratroopers in DA2.

I haven't really been following DA:I other than cursory readings of the threads here, so not really sure if they plan on more "tactical" combat or more "twitch" combat (the latter killed the Witcher franchise for me in the second game).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Its going to be a twitch thing with the ability to pause and issue commands and judging from the fancy spell effects and high production values the skills and abilities will be limited in number. Its certainly not going to be tactical in the old sense of the word.

With Bioware every aspect of the gameplay takes a back seat to achieving movie like presentation. They started down that road with Mass Effect and it will bury them because its both very expensive and easy to botch (cue ME3 ending). Memorable storylines and characters are hard to marry with making a game that's supposed to be "all things to all people" and sell millions from Boston to Bangalore. The only way to make them fresh and interesting is to change things around and the only way to sell your multi-million dollar product to the same audience is not to change things around because that's unnecessary risk from a business perspective.

When you make a good gameplay model, like Bethesda or Blizzard do its easy to replicate it, tack on a serviceable plot and make millions. No one cares, or seems to care that the actual stories are pos and the characters are non existent. Oblivion's plot seems to be fine in Oblivion (and we all know what utter soulless trash that game was) but in DAI its suddenly an offense and a bore. Rarely does anyone mention how unstable and bug ridden Elder Scrolls games are, how horrible the animations and how poor the combat is. But they'll keep cranking them out as long as gaming is a thing because they've trained their fans to appreciate those elements that are easy to improve. In ES games, that's essentially graphics and little else.

Bioware has been training people to value stories and characters more than other aspects - good luck getting consistent successes with those.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

$bad_guy looms, need to visit $faction_locations[] and gain $allies[] to counter the $bad_guy's army which will wait around for a while.

The boss fight wasn't all that bad, kind of MMO-esque if they had tossed in phases.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra