Dragon Age: Inquisition

Rosbjerg

Am I the only one here that think they should go the Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning way in combat?

I mean, if you want me to fight in 3rd person, make it a little more than click this and that. Just embrace this casual thing and make it really fun. Put some different styles and skills and thats it.

Just dont give me this MMO combat and call it tactical because i can pause...

If you want a real tactical combat, it would be better if you have a lot of options, not just walk here and attack him in the same way until he dies...

Other way to go would be turn based but like xcom. I dream of a fantasy game with xcom combat.

Anyway...

... I don't know what you're trying to get across. Pausing makes it tactical.

Lol. Pausing makes it tactical? What?

Having various, legitimate options to use in combat makes it tactical, because they allow you to approach the same situation in a different manner. That's tactics.

He's pointing out the obvious - the MMO combat isn't tactical, because its shallow in the number of things you can do and almost everything you do in it will allow you to win. This is exemplified in DAI videos where  players routinely leave 3 party members under AI control, while their own input boils down to spamming one ability after the other until all of them are under cooldown. Using a potion from a limited supply before a party member dies seems to be the height of DAI "tactics".

So, it makes sense to ditch such a simplistic sistem, that is neither real action nor real tactical, in favor of either of those two.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I think this is a fair preview...

If its not positive ...its not fair :wowey:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Tale: You'll probably find a cheap PS4 during Black Friday. Wouldn't surprise me if the game got a decent price, too.

I see I am not the only one going for PS4.

I will have to wait until next summer/fall before even considering a new PC.

Same here. Do we know if performance is better on the PS4 or Xbox One? I suppose the difference is negligible at this point.

Edited by Tel Aviv

What I immediately dislike about the game, although I will reserve further judgment until I get to try it, is the amount of pointless AssCreed/Far Cry style busywork. Going from one area to next, scavenger hunt style, to trigger some arbitrary mechanic/bonus never seemed like intelligent or involved gameplay to me, but rather filler material that's easy to copy paste over the entirety of the game. 

So you get an enormous world map "full of things to do", only those things are all copies of a dozen templates that all play out the same way. Stick a flag here, look through a telescope there, blah blah, rinse repeat fifty times over. Its easily made content to substitute real individually crafted quests and area events.

At least, that's how it tends to play out in games of the type. 

The Far Cry 3 map was a perfect example. It was the exact same thing all over with a bit of differing terrain to offer the impression of a "large open world".

I think this is a fair preview...

-snip-

He seems much more impressed after spending some actual time in the game.

-snip-

The game maybe fun to play, but the game have lost many things that make people love DA:O

Yes the combat look impressive, the graphic is cool, it's an open world bla bla bla, all those are fun to play and fun to explore, and on and on...i don't deny that

I like Dragon Age:Origin because that is Dragon Age i know...Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age:Inquisition are not the Dragon Age i know anymore...

What I immediately dislike about the game, although I will reserve further judgment until I get to try it, is the amount of pointless AssCreed/Far Cry style busywork. Going from one area to next, scavenger hunt style, to trigger some arbitrary mechanic/bonus never seemed like intelligent or involved gameplay to me, but rather filler material that's easy to copy paste over the entirety of the game.

150 hours of gameplay don't grow on trees. :)

What we have here is a form of project management triangle.

Matrix:

1) Lots of content + high variety <-> long development time (people complain about outdated graphics).

2) Lots of content + short development time <-> low variety (people complain about repetitiveness).

3) High variety + short development time <-> not enough content (people complain about the game being too short).

See how developers can never win? :)

Edited by prodigydancer

New spoiler going around, worth the price of admission alone for the game. I'm sold.

Hawke can die.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

150 hours of gameplay don't grow on trees. :)

What we have here is a form of project management triangle.

Matrix:

1) Lots of content + high variety <-> long development time (people complain about outdated graphics).

2) Lots of content + short development time <-> low variety (people complain about repetitiveness).

3) High variety + short development time <-> not enough content (people complain about the game being too short).

See how developers can never win? :)

Unless that tree is Baldur's Gate 2. :) lots of content + high variety + made in two years

3D won't catch up by 2055, or, possibly, never

Bottom line, 30 hours filled with unique content > 70 hours slogging through the same crap (a lesson JRPG's never learned)

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

Not looking particularly promising. Ditching dialouge options in favor of 'go there fetch that' MMO style quests without the MMO element, which is after all the only thing makes you able to stand MMO style quests.

All of the weaknesess and none of the strengths of either genre ?

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Unless that tree is Baldur's Gate 2.

Yes, BG2 was exceptional in many ways. And I suppose at least part of it was luck - Muzyka and Zeschuk managed to assemble a great team even before the success of BG made them famous. Much of what is now considered the decline of BioWare is simply inflated expectations born of the initial success that cannot be reproduced anymore. Those unique circumstances that made BG2 possible are gone and no-one knows when BioWare will have a development team of the same quality again. Maybe never.

So it's not just 2D vs. 3D. If they tried to make another IE game today it almost certainly wouldn't be as good as BG/BG2.

Edited by prodigydancer

New spoiler going around, worth the price of admission alone for the game. I'm sold.

Hawke can die.

Tale I knew it was inevitable that you would end up excited about DA:I, welcome :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's how it turned out, yes.

I still think they have potential but are stuck too far into the risk minimizing business side of things. If you're not going to lead in terms of design, ideas etc. then you're going to follow. Which is why you can see more external influence in Bioware games than Bioware shaping the RPG scene. Following MMO's, AAA games of the day like AssCreed sounds more like trying to stay afloat than anything else.

Hawke can die.

Considering how Hawke was only nominally the protagonist in DA2 repeatedly sidelined by other members of the team I fail to see how his (or her) death changes anything.

His death comes as the result of a choice you can make in Inquisition. It's not that he just dies, but you choose for him to die. It's a little bit of vengeance for Kirkwall as I see it.

• Like 2

I have to applaud the animators at Bioware, her facial expressions perfectly align to drugged up dialogue and mostly: Look at mr. Inquisitioners face, that is the only normal reaction to those kind of lines.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Animation is definitely kind of disappointing. It's all the Bioware stock again. They try so hard to be cinematic, but so much animation is directly from the can.

Ow, my freaking ears eyes!

Seriously though, most characters in DA:I are so ugly it hurts. I think I'll wait for something like Project Beauty. Call me shallow but I do care about graphics. At least I care enough to feel completely turned off by this level of unsightly.

Swords full helms for everyone!

Edited by prodigydancer

Hawke can die.

Considering how Hawke was only nominally the protagonist in DA2 repeatedly sidelined by other members of the team I fail to see how his (or her) death changes anything.

His death comes as the result of a choice you can make in Inquisition. It's not that he just dies, but you choose for him to die. It's a little bit of vengeance for Kirkwall as I see it.

1416040689908.gif

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

How very inconsiderate of my friend to have his birthday on Tuesday ... "Hey, come out to the brew pub and celebrate ..." he says, like someone who isn't playing Dragon Age or watching Agents of SHIELD. Acknowledge our relationship, he says, implicitly. Put the controller down, leave the TV cold, step out of the house, he says, with no regard. Have fun with alcohol, females, and something called Taco Tuesday, he says. Damned real life friends ... what are they good for.   

• Like 4

All Stop. On Screen.