RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I was always much more of a spelunker than a builder in Minecraft. I'd build a basic home base on surface level, then start digging downward with my limited amount of torches. Then when I see a big labyrinthine cave open up in front of me with dangerous drops everywhere and monster noises coming from nearby, I am having the most fun.

I'd love a scarier Minecraft that concentrated on stuff like that. Which is odd because I don't like horror games, although it might be because I massively prefer being scared by non-scripted stuff.

That looks amazing and terrifying...but I'm not sure I would play that game stoned :aiee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That looks amazing and terrifying...but I'm not sure I would play that game stoned :aiee:

Resident evil finally going back to its roots? I played some recent one and it was more action game than horror one

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Resident evil finally going back to its roots? I played some recent one and it was more action game than horror one

The first Revelations was a return to the series slower paced, atmospheric, claustrophobic roots, this looks to be more of the same, except they're trading in a ship for a prison and Jill and Chris for Claire and Moira (Barry Burton's daughter).  It seems like the "core" numbered series has gone down the action shooter path to stay while the "offshoot" Revelations series will provide the old-school Resi experience.  I'm fine with that as long as they keep making the Revelations series.  

Also, I'm super excited to get a game where you play as Claire again.  It's been a really really long time.  What was the last game she starred in?  Code Veronica?  Hopefully they have her Resi 2 and Code Veronica outfits unlockable, as well as her Browning Hi-Power, assuming she doesn't start with that as default.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Hm, did anyone link this in a couple of months back?

IGN got Romero to play Doom with them and give a general chatty interview on the history and how-to and why-for of Doom..

http://youtu.be/b86PwuzyxlY

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

In honour of the release of Destiny, Tom Chick writes a piece on Halo: Combat Evolved espousing his belief that "The Library" was one of the greatest FPS levels of all time... which I actually think is bang on:

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2014/09/09/defense-halos-library/

For me, I actually really enjoyed the level since playing it co-op, it was the experience of playing Left 4 Dead an entire seven years before Left 4 Dead came out, and Chick hit the nail on the head about the shotgun.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

In honour of the release of Destiny, Tom Chick writes a piece on Halo: Combat Evolved espousing his belief that "The Library" was one of the greatest FPS levels of all time... which I actually think is bang on:

For me, I actually really enjoyed the level since playing it co-op, it was the experience of playing Left 4 Dead an entire seven years before Left 4 Dead came out, and Chick hit the nail on the head about the shotgun.

The Library is about plunging into the inscrutable guts of a massive alien structure. If it seems big and tedious, that’s the point.

Oohkay, here I was thinking games are supposed to be fun. Well, where artistically inclined see all kinds of things from feelings to references in a surrealist painting, I see only weird meaningless mess. The repetitive levels ruined Halo for me, like the level designers often just made a small part of a level and then copy pasted it ten times in a row.

The Library is about plunging into the inscrutable guts of a massive alien structure. If it seems big and tedious, that’s the point.

Oohkay, here I was thinking games are supposed to be fun. Well, where artistically inclined see all kinds of things from feelings to references in a surrealist painting, I see only weird meaningless mess. The repetitive levels ruined Halo for me, like the level designers often just made a small part of a level and then copy pasted it ten times in a row.

I was never a fan of the campaigns in Halo. I'll stick with Halo 3 multiplayer and ignore everything else.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

The first Revelations was a return to the series slower paced, atmospheric, claustrophobic roots, this looks to be more of the same, except they're trading in a ship for a prison and Jill and Chris for Claire and Moira (Barry Burton's daughter).  It seems like the "core" numbered series has gone down the action shooter path to stay while the "offshoot" Revelations series will provide the old-school Resi experience.  I'm fine with that as long as they keep making the Revelations series.  

Also, I'm super excited to get a game where you play as Claire again.  It's been a really really long time.  What was the last game she starred in?  Code Veronica?  Hopefully they have her Resi 2 and Code Veronica outfits unlockable, as well as her Browning Hi-Power, assuming she doesn't start with that as default.

I *really* enjoyed the setting on the ship, I thought it was just awesome. But I wouldn't have considered it a "scary" game per-se, certainly not in the sense that F.E.A.R. (1) or Dead Space (1) were scary to me (I actually had to take the first Dead Space in chapter sized chunks and similar for F.E.A.R.).

I do hope the controls will be better optimized for PC this time around (not that they did such a bad job with Revelations, but being able to look up/down when not aiming would be rather nice to have for starters) and that the boss fights will be less obnoxious (at least on the lower difficulties)

It's been a very long time since it's last happened but it appears I'm actually looking forwards to an AAA game again!

Nope, greatest level is the Fuel Station from Jedi Knight.

Rockstar Games is proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto V will arrive on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 18, 2014 with the PC version to follow January 27, 2015.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52308/grand-theft-auto-v-release-dates-and-exclusive-content
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I will buy the PC version and play it on my tv with controller. Will look better than the console version and I probably won't have to pay 60€ on the game. :>

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Rockstar Games is proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto V will arrive on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on November 18, 2014 with the PC version to follow January 27, 2015.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52308/grand-theft-auto-v-release-dates-and-exclusive-content

Hopefully it won't require 3 Titan Blacks in SLI to get a decent framerate.  :shifty:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I will buy the PC version and play it on my tv with controller. Will look better than the console version and I probably won't have to pay 60€ on the game. :>

I'm really excited about GTAV on PC and I'll also use a controller for the game :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Was that the level they decided to show off in the demo? Because it scared me off from actual game proper due to how insane it was. It'd probably have been better appreciated if they had another demo level before that to acclimatise the player to the game before throwing them in the deep end.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Nope, greatest level is the Fuel Station from Jedi

Nah. Not even the best level in a Star Wars game. That would have to be The Battle of Hoth from Shadows of the Empire. Snow Speeders vs. Imperial Walkers!!

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So Hex... Bought a beta key for 2 euros off a polish homeless guy who's going to eat for a week for that money.

Damn it's good. Like MTG circa 2005 or so, with fewer cards. It's not MTG just yet, but it's definitely getting there. And the graphics.... godlike compared to MTG. Why can't MTG pour some cash into making a new graphical engine? Morons.

Hearthstone is so primitive and childish compared to a kickstarted funded game. Just wow, it's incredible how much Blizz sucks nowadays.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link