RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Resident evil finally going back to its roots? I played some recent one and it was more action game than horror one

The first Revelations was a return to the series slower paced, atmospheric, claustrophobic roots, this looks to be more of the same, except they're trading in a ship for a prison and Jill and Chris for Claire and Moira (Barry Burton's daughter).  It seems like the "core" numbered series has gone down the action shooter path to stay while the "offshoot" Revelations series will provide the old-school Resi experience.  I'm fine with that as long as they keep making the Revelations series.  

Also, I'm super excited to get a game where you play as Claire again.  It's been a really really long time.  What was the last game she starred in?  Code Veronica?  Hopefully they have her Resi 2 and Code Veronica outfits unlockable, as well as her Browning Hi-Power, assuming she doesn't start with that as default.

I liked Revelations for that very reason.  It was kind of the best of both worlds, for me.  Combined RE's oldschool type horror/atmosphere, but with the newer games' shooting features (which I actually like.  I hated aiming in the old games).  Plus, I'm a Jill Valentine fanboy, so that was good.

This one looks cool, too.  Hopefully it's a bit longer.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Now is it the setting you're excited about? Because I found Champions Online was pretty much City of Heroes, with an additional sense of accomplishment due to the instanced maps reflecting whether you defeated bosses and such.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'd sold it as well. Especially for that money. Just think about it... How bad do you need to handle your money in order to run out of that amount again... Can hardly imagine it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Bizarre fact:

Here are a number of countries that have lower yearly revenues than what Microsoft bought Mojang/Minecraft for:

-Uganda

-Madagascar

-Nicaragua

-Cambodia

-Kosovo

-Monaco

-Afghanistan

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'd sold it as well. Especially for that money. Just think about it... How bad do you need to handle your money in order to run out of that amount again... Can hardly imagine it.

Be Tim Schafer.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Microsoft is optimistic and predicts it will recoup these 2.5B by June 2015, so yeah, for them it's a perceived win/win 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I know Minecraft is popular (I've never played it personally) but is it REALLY worth 2.5billion? That's more than what LA/SW was bought for. LMAO

I thought that was $4 billion

or maybe I'm thinking of something different with those initials

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

It's confirmed! Microsoft has bought Mojang (Minecraft) for 2.5 billion dollars. The founders of Mojang, including Notch, are leaving the company. Wow! They'll sure get even richer.

They purchased a one-hit-wonder company that already has their game on Xbox? Whhhhyyyy?

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Microsoft is optimistic and predicts it will recoup these 2.5B by June 2015, so yeah, for them it's a perceived win/win 

Doesn't mean that they will be able to turn it for a profit but we'll see.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Madness - Project Nexus 2 Kickstarter has a week to go with $10,000 left remaining for its goal.

http://youtu.be/JNrpICfj4BA

For those unfamiliar with the Madness series:

http://youtu.be/hkYRmCKMCLo

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Doesn't mean that they will be able to turn it for a profit but we'll see.
If minecraft 2 sells half as well as Minecraft did, it will probably have been worth it.

And that's not counting merchandise.

Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Seriously, Minecraft is a huge property driven by an entire generation of young people.  They aren't going to care that Notch is not involved, and they are going to convince their parents to buy it on every device they can.  Plus the merchandise is huge.  

I'm sure the Minecraft Animated Series is dropping any day now.

It would've been more relevant to print an autopsist's take on "the last of us" so he could give the cause of death of console video games.

Who cares what a photographer thinks about a fake bad movie. Jeez.

I'd think the opinion of a guy that ends up in similar situations (eg. wars) on a regular basis is at least somewhat relevant to a game that pretends to attempt to create an immersive experience in a similar setting.

A War photographer's take on The Last of Us:

http://lightbox.time.com/2014/09/15/war-photographer-video-game/#1

I guess a lack of distress about the situations they find themselves in is a fairly typical thing in video games.

In a suprising twist, it's the comments that actually make more sense than the article IMO.

I mean at one point the guy is lamenting that he couldn't make a "refugee-in-bus-window-at-border-crossing image", despite the target being a: not a real person, therefore having scripted expressions b: not a refugee. She's been a survivor for most of her life c: if she didn't have what it takes to survive in that world, she wouldn't be alive at that point (and d: there's no borders either). So he's complaining about something being not there that he expects to be because it messes up his photo fantasy. Talk about being desentisized.

Also, pseudo-sexual neck bite? What?

It would've been more relevant to print an autopsist's take on "the last of us" so he could give the cause of death of console video games.

Who cares what a photographer thinks about a fake bad movie. Jeez.

I'd think the opinion of a guy that ends up in similar situations (eg. wars) on a regular basis is at least somewhat relevant to a game that pretends to attempt to create an immersive experience in a similar setting.

Take it from the guy (me) who ends up in these situations (eg. reading bad articles) on a regular basis, cause the article pretends to attempt to create a genuine article experience, but only gives me some random dude's opinion on how making screenshots in video games is different from taking pictures. Video game opinion? Nonexistent and would've been irrelevant either way.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link