Star Wars Episode 7 Thread

Bokishi

Yeah, I got it wrong, but that pilot is from the original trilogy. I'm sure of it.

According to reports, the pilot is up-and-coming actor Oscar Isaac.

Oh. Right. I guess all the pilots from the original trilogy would look much older than that guy. *cough*

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Why does the lightsaber look more like a wielding torch? It's wavering more than the flames on my gas cooktop. And yes the hilt is stupid. I suppose it's so the wielder can brag about his dexterity at avoiding injuring himself with it.

Start of trailer makes me think it's a comedy, end of the trailer reminds me of Game of Thrones ads. I did like the brief glimpse of what I assume is a Tatooine homestead (bit with girl on bike). Don't care about a new gimmicky "because we can" rollerball-droid. Anyway...I have no great expectations for this film. The prequels killed most of my interest in the franchise. But who knows...maybe Disney will pull it off. But (for me at least)...I doubt it.

Although almost anything would at least be a bit better than those prequels.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I expect this to suck.

Sorry, it had to be said.

As do I.

The only thing the movie has going for it is the original cast and Kasdan. I was hopeful they could overcome the cheese that is J.J., but after seeing the trailer... it's clear that's not going to happen and bad cheese is what we're going to get. I've never before seen a trailer for Star Wars that I thought sucked until today. Even the prequels had at least decent trailers, some of them actually being good.

I don't know what people are expecting at this point. I expect the new films will be better than the prequels I-III but the SW saga itself can't really be what it was back when it was made, neither in the mundane things such as special effect nor in the childish whimsy of the original now that its burdened with the task of being all things to all people. And JJAbrams goes out of his way to copy Spielberg and Lucas but he's not the visionary or the talent they were.

I think they'll be passable throwaway blockbusters.  

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I kind of like that expectations are so low. When people expected greatness; we get the prequels. When they expected crap; we got the originals.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I've been wondering about the physics of light sabers and I propose that a certain minimum of pressure has to be applied before it will cut/burn anything. So you could rest the 'blade' on your hand, but if you put the tiniest ammount of force into the motion you would cut off your own hand. The guard would kinda have to be made out of lightsaberish material or it wouldn't be able to block other lightsabers. 

Also the guard is often used offensively in sword figthing. What's wrong with it is that there is no provision for stopping your hand from moving/slipping towards the dangerous guard while using the weapon. There is also not a continuous barrier of lightsaberish material which would mean that the sword would break the first time someone used the guard to block and the deflected blow landed in the cross section.

As far as the overall shape goes, if you can shape light into a basic tube shaped sword, a fancy European style longsword is surely not that far off. 

• Like 1

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I expect them to be very enjoyable, but light on subtext. But overall I expect them to be a win. JJ Abrams knocked me for six with Fringe.

The only thing I really don't like is the way people are complaining about a black stormtrooper in the teaser trailer. WTF is wrong with people? Stormtroopers wear helmets all the goddamn time. To quote Bill Hicks they could be bright green, have nine ***s and an elephant's trunk for all we know. The only thing we actually know about them is they can't shoot for ****.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I expect them to be very enjoyable, but light on subtext. But overall I expect them to be a win. JJ Abrams knocked me for six with Fringe.

The only thing I really don't like is the way people are complaining about a black stormtrooper in the teaser trailer. WTF is wrong with people? Stormtroopers wear helmets all the goddamn time. To quote Bill Hicks they could be bright green, have nine ***s and an elephant's trunk for all we know. The only thing we actually know about them is they can't shoot for ****.

I guess they expected him to be a clone of Jango Fett.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I'd say that's more Bruckheimer than Disney.

I suppose the whole Clone Troopers =/= Stormtroopers thing was never really explained inside the movie universe. Attack of the Clones makes it seem like Stormtroopers were clones all along.

Star Wars is never going to be what we want it to be. Disney owns it. It's going to be Pirates of the Caribbean. 

What do we want it to be? I'm pretty sure SW fans couldn't describe what they wanted of a star wars film at this point.

They tend to view it as this grand sweeping epic that's going somewhere, but all I ever saw was a fairy tale for the space age generation. It was well written, at times well directed and the special effects were great at the time. By the third film most of these elements were worn down. 

We're now at the seventh film of a multi-million dollar franchise, probably the thousandth book, comic and who knows how many metric tons of merchandise. Cool ideas, like Vader's helmet or stormtrooper armor are now made into everything from flash drives to ashtrays, printed on T-shirts you can see people wearing all over town.

Expecting to be wowed by anything SW at this point is simply mad. This is why I don't get the nitpicking about the trailer and the negativity. Its Star Wars, an anything goes universe, being Star Wars and people are arguing the merits of lightsaber crossguard while not wondering why in an age of space bombers and lasers is anyone using a sword in the first place.

I mean, you're either going to accept that its a fairy tale about knights, rogues and princesses or you're going to drive yourself nuts staying "true" to an imaginary fantasy universe.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

This is the only reason why I reacted, when I saw it I actually blinked twice. We know that Stormtroopers are supposed to be clones, but they might've abandoned that after the end of Ep VI or they've retconned it.

I really, really think that lightsabre hilt is stupid though. Not just any stupid, but a proper Jeremy Clarkson "sssstUpid".

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Point being that things can never get really interesting because you have to be able to bring your 8 year old daughter. (I have an imaginary 8 year old daughter now, how about that)

That is a pretty important point to make though, the real target for these movies is a new generation of children, not a bunch of grumpy old folks.  

• Like 1

Biggest takeaway for me was that the trailer gave me chills.

Good enough of a litmus test for me anyway.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What was chill inducing about it ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Those X-Wings flying near the water gave me a momentary glimpse from that childhood magic. Then it was gone, pity.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Watched all six films around last Christmas with my little lad, I have to fairly much agree with his summation, two good films in Star Wars (or whatever they're calling it now) and Empire Strikes Back, and the rest were dreadful to mediocre.

Edit: Noticed that in the latest cut of Star Wars that Han shot last and Leia didn't kiss Luke when swinging over the bridge in the Death Star, very amusing.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

How is that lightsaber any worse then this lightsaber?

double.jpg

Because the "hilt" will break if it ever serves its purpose.

Assuming it is really meant to be a hilt, and not some kind of bizarre small side-daggers. Who knows?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"