RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Who is it that's beating off to nude Ellen Page pictures?

David Cage.

I had a horrible nightmare about Ellen Page today, no joke.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

^As with the others ports, i'll wait for the community mods and patches to fix it.

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

^As with the others ports, i'll wait for the community mods and patches to fix it.

Spoken like a true veteran of the interminable " console to pc port wars"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBb2BIVrV7M&list=UUy1Ms_5qBTawC-k7PVjHXKQ

Too long; didn't watch: Not an excellent game, but good and fun nevertheless. PC version suffers from the usual less than great port symptoms such as bad performance, item popping and menus that have been designed for controller.

I mostly agree with The Cynical Brit.  As far as this game being "The First True Next Gen Experience", that's a load of rubbish.  The game certainly doesn't look bad, and it does have some nice effects, but Sleeping Dogs (a game I'm also currently playing so it's very easy for me to compare the two) is decidedly a Last Gen game and it looks as good as Watch Dogs, if not better, not to mention, it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better optimized.  The optimization, as mentioned by Mr. Biscuit, leaves a lot to be desired.  The game runs, but not nearly as well as it should.  The menus being clearly designed with a controller in mind doesn't bother me one bit since I play the game with a controller except when I pull my gun out.  Thankfully, the game switches from controller and m&kb control seamlessly on the fly and even instantly changes on-screen prompts.  More and more games do that these days, as they should.  I'll also give the game props for being stable.  No real bugs encountered so far.

The game is far from groundbreaking, but it is fun.  Driving is too arcadey for my taste, the cars all feel like they weigh less than an ounce, but it's okay.  Chasing down criminals is fun.  Hacking stuff and making stuff explode is fun.  Gunplay is fine.  It's a fun game.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In this case, it looks like PC ports are taking an extra hit for AMD drivers. The fact that AMD was essentially locked out of development by NVidia has resulted in a game where a $300 NVidia card is trading blows with a $500 AMD card due solely to the single-target optimization.

Ultimately its Ubisoft's product, someone made the choice to go with Nvidia so it falls on their shoulders.

I like Nvidia's concept of creating graphic libraries for game developers but they could be less blatant about trying to monopolize the market.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

All I see in Watch Dogs, once again, is an initially flashy game that I kind of would like to try out, but know I'll get bored in a couple of hours because all the busywork it is filled with gets repetive and pointless very, very fast and the story doesn't seem like anything to write home about; and would've then wasted my money. This happens with 95+% of the games out there.

I wish I was 14 again...

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 3

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

In this case, it looks like PC ports are taking an extra hit for AMD drivers. The fact that AMD was essentially locked out of development by NVidia has resulted in a game where a $300 NVidia card is trading blows with a $500 AMD card due solely to the single-target optimization.

Too many ads, didn't read. 

Doesn't make sense on the face of it, since new console versions are AMD GCN neo-classical architecture. 

New beta Radeon drivers released today anyway, first line-item is Watch Dogs improvements. I don't see the problem for the "entire PC-gaming eco-system." 

Edit: And anyway, it appears the 290X is a smooth-running bystander while the 780Ti chokes on texture loading. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

I was just going to add.. I'm running everything maxxed out at 2560x1440 on my R9 290X and I can't see how this game is badly optimized. But maybe my card is brute-forcing its way through this code?

Did I mention that I love my 290X? :)

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/27/watch-dogs-on-pc-beset-by-uplay-troubles-ubisoft-is-working-on-it/

Ah Uplay.

Also the NVIDIA v AMD stuff - http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/05/27/watch_dogs_amd_nvidia_gpu_performance_preview

Does look like an interesting game, maybe I'll play it in 2-3 years.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I suspect the game is very vRAM intensive, much like GTA IV was, and this is where the 290X's extra GB of vRAM is beating out the 780Ti.  It's too bad that even with it chewing up that much vRAM, the game still has the massive pop in issues.  The draw distance on the buildings is fantastic, but the cars on the road annoyingly pop in at an alarmingly short distance.  This isn't an issue if you're driving like a sane person, but when you're ripping through Chicago at 120 mph, it's a serious problem.  I wish they would sacrifice some draw distance on the buildings to free up that memory to draw cars out to a greater distance.  Better yet, I wish they would put in sliders to let the player control both those aspects.  Hopefully someone finds an ini tweak for just that soon.

Edit:  If this is a case of the game being very vRAM hungry, this game would mark one of the very few cases where there is a case for the Titan Black over the 780Ti.  Probably not $300 price difference worth of case, mind you, but at least, in theory, the Titan Black should significantly outperform the 780Ti in this game.

I was lucky enough that the Uplay troubles didn't affect me.  I had already downloaded and installed the game by the time the volume of players on at the same time took Uplay down, and Uplay was kind enough to let me play in offline mode without a problem.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Battlefield Hardline video

That sounds awesome, and great fun, I'd have paid money for it if it was'nt for the fact that it'd come loaded with online DRM; Origin or Steam.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

That sounds awesome, and great fun, I'd have paid money for it if it was'nt for the fact that it'd come loaded with online DRM; Origin or Steam.

I am quite ok with Steam, at least they sell all games, but closed platform like Oriign is no go for me

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am quite ok with Steam, at least they sell all games, but closed platform like Oriign is no go for me

They're all equal to me, it's an hassle that I don't want to put up with, because it will end up annoying you. I would not have minded them if they were just vendors, but since they actually control your games and patches I don't want anything to do with them. I'd rather stop gaming.

I do completely agree that Origin is worse for that reason, closed off platforms are even worse.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

What do you mean?  Origin has non-EA games.  You can even add all your non-EA games to your library with a bit of work.  

They don't get as many games as Steam, but that has nothing to do with EA.  

It may have something to do with EA, since we don't know what their sales or submission terms are- assuming they're equivalent it has nothing to do with EA, certainly.

Open/ closed seems to be one of those things like drm/ drm free where if you like the platform it's open and drm free, even if it isn't, whereas if you don't like the platform it's closed and riddled with drm. I still remember seeing people say that Origin was drm even for titles you could download and then never open Origin again for, while Steam doing exactly the same thing was drm free- while insisting there was no logical disconnect there. The only practical difference being that they liked steam and disliked Origin.

Steam is not an open system. Anyone who believes it ever will be is deluding themselves.

• Like 3

Yeah I get preferring Steam, since they have a better selection and much better sales, but I've never understood trying to argue one is worse than the other in terms of DRM.  

In reality, Origin is less of a resource hog and the offline mode seems to run smoother.