What are you playing now?

Rosbjerg

More Banner Saga.

Doing decently so far. I've had a couple of more people die on me, but I guess it is worth replaying the game to see what I have to do to save them. Atmosphere is pretty good and the writing is okay. It's a shame that battlefields are completely plain and there are no obstacles (so far). Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.

Been playing a lot of Skyrim, and I must say that I don't understand why you guys complain about the bad writing.

I would agree if someone had ever said "the writing ranges from mediocre to excellent" because that is what I see. I have not yet seen any really bad writing, only writing that's not remarkable in any way or writing that makes me take notice (that's what I call good to excellent writing).

I was out wandering the wilderness the other day and happened upon yet another random dungeon. I walked in, ready to fill up on loot when I saw a ghost at the entrance looking in. When I got closer, the ghost started talking to me, telling me to turn around and go away. The ghosts name was Katria and I told her I wanted to press on regardless. She reluctantly agreed and asked if she could tag along. I thought it would be fun to have a pet cloud hovering behind me so I said yes (I usually never take companions.. ever).

So I'm sneaking around this really cool place (awesome architecture), not much fighting going on, and this ghost/cloud girl keeps whispering little details about the place as I explore. I ask her how she died and she said she fell. A while later we happen upon her body and she explains that if only she had fallen one foot to the left, she would have ended up in the water and survived, but alas, it was not to be.

Together we traverse the dungeon (it's a vertical kind of maze-like structure) and at the end we solve a puzzle. Turns out the prize is a lot bigger than that one dungeon though. In fact, on her cold body there was a journal that describes three other dungeons that I have to raid to get everything that is needed to make her happy. Two of them I've already raided, but we agree to meet up later when I have all the pieces of a key (I think it was).

A few hours later I end up at the final dungeon with all the pieces needed and sure enough, there she is. So we open the final dungeon and fight/chat our way through to the end (some really cool set-pieces here). The prize is a choice of several different types of items I have to forge myself. When that is done, she is free to step into the light and she happily does, disappearing from the game forever.

When she disappeared, I actually felt a sting of sadness. It was just a random dungeon I stepped into, but it turned out to be a little adventure together with cloud girl. I must say I appreciated that little story/piece of writing. Not bad at all.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I can't seem to change my character's reputation in Mars: War Logs.  I'm playing as a goodie-goodie, but I'm near the end of Chapter 2 and still neutral despite being a damn nice person.

On my next play through I'm just going to be a jerk and extract serum from everyone I beat.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Been playing a lot of Skyrim, and I must say that I don't understand why you guys complain about the bad writing.

I would agree if someone had ever said "the writing ranges from mediocre to excellent" because that is what I see. I have not yet seen any really bad writing, only writing that's not remarkable in any way or writing that makes me take notice (that's what I call good to excellent writing).

I was out wandering the wilderness the other day and happened upon yet another random dungeon. I walked in, ready to fill up on loot when I saw a ghost at the entrance looking in. When I got closer, the ghost started talking to me, telling me to turn around and go away. The ghosts name was Katria and I told her I wanted to press on regardless. She reluctantly agreed and asked if she could tag along. I thought it would be fun to have a pet cloud hovering behind me so I said yes (I usually never take companions.. ever).

So I'm sneaking around this really cool place (awesome architecture), not much fighting going on, and this ghost/cloud girl keeps whispering little details about the place as I explore. I ask her how she died and she said she fell. A while later we happen upon her body and she explains that if only she had fallen one foot to the left, she would have ended up in the water and survived, but alas, it was not to be.

Together we traverse the dungeon (it's a vertical kind of maze-like structure) and at the end we solve a puzzle. Turns out the prize is a lot bigger than that one dungeon though. In fact, on her cold body there was a journal that describes three other dungeons that I have to raid to get everything that is needed to make her happy. Two of them I've already raided, but we agree to meet up later when I have all the pieces of a key (I think it was).

A few hours later I end up at the final dungeon with all the pieces needed and sure enough, there she is. So we open the final dungeon and fight/chat our way through to the end (some really cool set-pieces here). The prize is a choice of several different types of items I have to forge myself. When that is done, she is free to step into the light and she happily does, disappearing from the game forever.

When she disappeared, I actually felt a sting of sadness. It was just a random dungeon I stepped into, but it turned out to be a little adventure together with cloud girl. I must say I appreciated that little story/piece of writing. Not bad at all.

Yeah I often argue against the idea that Skyrim's writing is bad, it's worst sin is that it's rarely inspired.  After 400+ hours of Skyrim I've never seen that dungeon or even heard about it, I only finished up a play through last month and I already want to go back, OCD crack that game is  :dancing:

The guild-related quests are probably consistently the worst parts of Skyrim's writing. I'm told the Dark Brotherhood one might be an exception, but I wouldn't know because I murdered all of them (I was playing a strictly independent assassin) - and it's sad and lazy that the mass murder option isn't an option with the other guilds, since they proved that they could do that kind of proper choice when they can be bothered.

The big quest in Markarth is also oft-mentioned as a badly written one, but I've never done it myself. In the end though, maybe the biggest praise of Skyrim's writing that can be is that it's not as idiotic as Fallout 3's, although probably a result of being relentlessly more generic.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I can't seem to change my character's reputation in Mars: War Logs.  I'm playing as a goodie-goodie, but I'm near the end of Chapter 2 and still neutral despite being a damn nice person.

On my next play through I'm just going to be a jerk and extract serum from everyone I beat.

You get significant bonuses when your reputation changes from neutral, that's why it takes so long. Don't remember it being at the end of Chapter 2 though, for me it was closer to beginning/middle.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

After 400+ hours of Skyrim I've never seen that dungeon or even heard about it

I haven't either. The ghost's name isn't listed in the hard-cover appendix--er, at least that's what my, uh, friend told me, who owns the book--but that doesn't mean much. Can you tell us about where you found this dungeon ...

Edit: Oh, but the internets have told me Katria haunts the beginning of Arkngthamz, near Dushnikh Yal southeast of Markarth. I have no idea how I could possibly miss her.

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

People are mostly angry at the thieve's guild quest line. You can't really uncheck yourself from it and it doesn't really give you a lot of choices. 

But mostly the story was just...uninspiring. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

While it could be a difference of scale, I think it's also just an example of how people are pretty prone to hyperbole. I mean, a game that gets, say, 6/10 for a review is a game that "sucks" when I'd consider it "okay."

I just stopped playing Gran Turismo 6 entirely after I found out my favorite car in the game -which is very expensive, I had to grind countless hours for it-  doesn't support H-pattern shifting and the clutch - for whatever silly reason. As if having to mindlessly grind credits, silly tuning bugs AND dealing with the dumb-as-a-rock AI wasn't enough, they also ruined my favorite car. 

I'm done with it. If the people who made this joke of a game weren't so damn far away I would totally pay them a visit and give them back their stupid game....through their rectum. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

You get significant bonuses when your reputation changes from neutral, that's why it takes so long. Don't remember it being at the end of Chapter 2 though, for me it was closer to beginning/middle.

I must have missed out on one of the "jumps" in reputation.  I'm into Chapter 3 now and I've only gone up to "good" reputation.  If I do actually reach max reputation at this point, it won't be until the end of the game when it probably won't matter.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Just kill everyone. It's just self-defense and easy money.

Besides Devotion likes tough guys.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

How do you like the game? I've been watching some videos and am kinda drawn to the aesthetics and the premise. But combat looks unbelievably clunky and obviously there's no way to judge the storytelling from a bunch of YT clips. I'm finding it harder and harder to drag myself to try new games so I'd rather not waste the effort if it's not very good...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Combat is clunky, but not nearly as bad as Witcher 2.

Plus melee can be avoided entirely by specializing your character in guns and/or lightning magic.

I think this is the first time I saw you call it Witcher and not Twitcher!

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Most Skyrim quests are pretty bland. The one you talk about here (part of the last DLC iirc) is easily one of the best, if not the best, quest in the game. It's also the only quest I remember where I actually gave a damn about any of the NPCs (RIP Katria).

Now don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed Skyrim and put many many hours into the game and while I'll disagree that the writing was bad per se I wouldn't call most of the writing "engaging", at least not in a way that "sticks" (if that makes any sense)

Though the fact that their character writing (Serana was pretty good for a Bethesda character as well) was becoming better near the end does give me hope for the next Elder Scrolls game.

Well, that's another thing Bethesda does really well: DLC. I had no idea it was DLC as it's so embedded within the game that I totally didn't notice (I bought the game with all expansions already applied in a Steam sale).

Remembered I got Torchlight off GOG a while ago (free too) so been playing that.  Sure wish my Vanquisher wore pants though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, that's another thing Bethesda does really well: DLC. I had no idea it was DLC as it's so embedded within the game that I totally didn't notice (I bought the game with all expansions already applied in a Steam sale).

True that. They generally provide plenty of hours for their price, especially compared to the stuff many of their competitors dare charge you for. Otoh one could hold them responsible for introducing that idea as well *cough* horse armor *cough*

I've picked up Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning during the sale this weekend. I remembered not being particularly impressed by the demo. I also remembered people saying the demo was kinda bad compared to the full game.

I'm level 11 or so now (arrived in Didenhill), game's not too bad, though so far I'd only give it like a 6/10 or so. Pretty average on all counts. It often feels just like an offline MMO, in the way the quests are delivered and how they play out, how combat works and how the world "feels".

One of the major problems with the Amalur demo is that it is a bug ridden mess. They should have put it up with a huge flashing disclaimer "See all these bugs? We fixed them in the final product."

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

How do you like the game? I've been watching some videos and am kinda drawn to the aesthetics and the premise. But combat looks unbelievably clunky and obviously there's no way to judge the storytelling from a bunch of YT clips. I'm finding it harder and harder to drag myself to try new games so I'd rather not waste the effort if it's not very good...

It's obviously a budget title, so you can see it lacks that extra polish.  And some of the voice acting looks like they just got some of the game designers read the lines in their spare time.  But it's actually a pretty good game.  Good atmosphere, the story's good (so far -- haven't finished yet, so it could lay an egg at the end), and while the combat is kind of clunky, it's no worse than your typical RPG game take on real time combat, similar to what you'd find in the Witcher or Arisen 2 (two recent RPGs that had real time combat).

For me, especially given the cheap price, it's a game I'd recommend.  You're basically paying DLC price for a full game that's on par with most recent decent RPGs you pay full price for.

• Like 1

Most Skyrim quests are pretty bland. The one you talk about here (part of the last DLC iirc) is easily one of the best, if not the best, quest in the game. It's also the only quest I remember where I actually gave a damn about any of the NPCs (RIP Katria).

Now don't get me wrong, I greatly enjoyed Skyrim and put many many hours into the game and while I'll disagree that the writing was bad per se I wouldn't call most of the writing "engaging", at least not in a way that "sticks" (if that makes any sense)

Though the fact that their character writing (Serana was pretty good for a Bethesda character as well) was becoming better near the end does give me hope for the next Elder Scrolls game.

It's from Dawnguard, the first.

I don't think any reasonable person can make a valid argument that Bethesda's writing and quest design, overall, is good. There are occasional rare gems but overall it's mediocre with more terrible (anything with the label "Thieves' Guild" attached in Skyrim is almost certainly going to give you a headache,) than fantastic exceptions. Same went for Fallout 3. I have a special place in my mind reserved for a festering hatred for the abysmally awful writing of the quest "THOSE!"

I've picked up Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning during the sale this weekend. I remembered not being particularly impressed by the demo. I also remembered people saying the demo was kinda bad compared to the full game.

I'm level 11 or so now (arrived in Didenhill), game's not too bad, though so far I'd only give it like a 6/10 or so. Pretty average on all counts. It often feels just like an offline MMO, in the way the quests are delivered and how they play out, how combat works and how the world "feels".

It's incredibly grindy and the world just lacks... something. It's generally bland and unmemorable on most accounts, which shouldn't be any surprise since a guy who was a major designer of Oblivion helmed the world creation. And yeah, it definitely feels like an offline MMO, the visuals especially look like WoW if it were done a generation later than its original release.

Edited by AGX-17

I don't think any reasonable person can make a valid argument that Bethesda's writing and quest design, overall, is good. 

I can actually.

The writing doesn't stand out much (as most of us agree), but that goes both ways. Not bad, not very good. Serviceable. And then there are some gems. It really is good enough for me. Not every quest, every line of dialogue must be a pearl of wisdom to cherish in your dreams and write sweaty fanfic about. Remember, it's such a vast game compared to something like Planescape: Torment: The Corridor Simulator: The Novel Wannabe. There will be highs and lows. Overall I've had a very positive vibe from this game.

The quest design. Well, I have never played any game with such a varied set of quests. I've gotten quests from eavesdropping on people, from reading random notes in the wilderness, from reading books in bookshelves, from picking up innocuous swords, from sleeping in the wrong inn, from killing the right person.. I even got a quest because I picked up a red, annoying flower! I LOVE THAT!! I love that anything can evolve into a quest! I picked a random safe in some random building in some random village, and lo and behold, one of the items triggered a quest. Fantastic! 

I've helped a weirdo fix his wagon, I've hunted trophy animals for a crazed hunter, I've competed in an archery contest with some girl on a mountain top, I've explored sunken ships for stranded captains, I've fought the demons inside a mad god's mind, I've stolen goats from giants, I've invaded castles together with an army, I've competed in a drinking contest with a cheat (and I might have ended up married, not sure), I've helped a dog return to his immortal master, I've joined up with a ghost girl to reclaim some honor and some treasure, I've hunted down bandits, vampires, werewolves, assassin's, you name it. I've so far done over 300 quests and sure, some of them were not worth the time it took to complete them, but man.. I've had a lot of fun with this game.

• Like 2