If Obsidian kickstarts a space opera RPG, would you back it?

Arcoss

Would you back it?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back it?

• Yes
    • Maybe, I'll want some details first
    • Not sure
    • Certainly not
    • Other(comment)

Nope. Done in so many other places already.

What if it is an actual opera in space?

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd like to see someone take a stab at an original Star Wars esque IP. Meaning spacefaring fantasy. Kings and nobles and wizards and peasants alongside starships and aliens and blasters and such.

Edit: extra points for using starship designs similar to Treasure Planet.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Does the pope **** in the woods?

If Obsidian kickstarts a cyberpunk rpg would you back it?

If Obsidian kickstarts a timetravel rpg would you back it?

If Obsidian kickstarts a parallel universe travel rpg would you back it?

If Obsidian kickstarts a cooking rpg would you back it?

If Obsidian kickstarts an rpg about trees and grass would you back it?

Let's not make threads about the obvious, ok? We'd all back any rpg from obsidian and whoever says they wouldn't, I really couldn't care less about those kind of people or their posts or thoughts or anything having to do with them for that matter. They don't deserve to play video games or to be literate or to even exist. They deserve to be torn apart by driders and then sent to the abyss for a few centuries of torture and mutilation.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I need proof that they can do a successful KS project. I'll wait until I see what they deliver with PE. So far, I\'ve spent $250 and have received nothing. Why would I spend more money on them until I see what happens with PE?

• Like 3

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

With Mass Effect's death by artistic integrity, There is no space opera game that interests me and so I thought: Why wouldn't Obsidian do it?

Because they haven't expressed any interest in doing so.

I'd like to see someone take a stab at an original Star Wars esque IP. Meaning spacefaring fantasy. Kings and nobles and wizards and peasants alongside starships and aliens and blasters and such.

That's essentially what Mass Effect was. It was space fantasy. Space wizards using space magic (under the woefully misused term "biotic") left and right. Besides which, I don't see how "someone should make a carbon copy of Star Wars without the Star Wars license but also with knights and damsels and dashing princes and horse-mounted blaster dueling combat in spaceships" is a positive thing.

Edited by AGX-17

With Mass Effect's death by artistic integrity, There is no space opera game that interests me and so I thought: Why wouldn't Obsidian do it?

Because they haven't expressed any interest in doing so.

That's essentially what Mass Effect was. It was space fantasy. Space wizards using space magic (under the woefully misused term "biotic") left and right. Besides which, I don't see how "someone should make a carbon copy of Star Wars without the Star Wars license but also with knights and damsels and dashing princes and horse-mounted blaster dueling combat in spaceships" is a positive thing.

Mass Effect tried to come up with some sort of psuedoscientic explaination for it though, to keep it sci-fi. Star Wars left the mystery, at least until midichlorians, but everyone agrees that was a bad idea and they should have kept it more mystical.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

@Oerwinde: something like Saga?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nope. Done in so many other places already.

What if it is an actual opera in space?

Then nobody will hear the fat lady sing before she explodes like a potato in the microwave...

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Hell yes, how I would love to :D However, I'd prefer it to be not fantasy-like (think Starwars or ME) and to have a lot of SPACE to enjoy - vast and deadly silent and black it should feel instead of colourful and populated

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

@Oerwinde: something like Saga?

A little less Tv headed people, but ghosts and telepathic cats and such would fit right in.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well yeah, I'd support it. I think either a Mass Effect like RPG or even a System Shock 3 type RPG by Obsidian would be pretty cool, albeit there's no practical chance of another kickstarter going by what has been said.

One game that I'd really like is a sort of combo of FTL and Privateer. Bit like Elite 3/ FFE with more RPGish combat rather than free flight, lots of missions, exploration, intrigue etc.

• Like 3

Pretty much sight unseen, barring some notable tragedy between now and the Kickstarter.

Obsidian has me in pretty hook, line, and sinker.

One game that I'd really like is a sort of combo of FTL and Privateer. Bit like Elite 3/ FFE with more RPGish combat rather than free flight, lots of missions, exploration, intrigue etc.

I cannot click "Like" enough for this game idea.  Hey Aaryn.....

Mass Effect tried to come up with some sort of psuedoscientic explaination for it though, to keep it sci-fi. Star Wars left the mystery, at least until midichlorians, but everyone agrees that was a bad idea and they should have kept it more mystical.

Mass Effect's explanation was that toxic waste "ELEMENT ZERO" (in elaborate sci-fi font,) causes space magic mutation, mystery solved! How does it work from there? Space magic.

Edited by AGX-17

If it looked like a gameplay-mechanic style+environment etc. that I'd be even remotely intrigued with, I'd buy it. But if I thought the chance of me even bothering to install it to look at it was about 0, then no.

Like South Park. I love you Obsidian and will always try to support you as much as possible/wish you success at all times, but sorry, not getting that one. :disguise:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Mass Effect's explanation was that toxic waste "ELEMENT ZERO" (in elaborate sci-fi font,) causes space magic mutation, mystery solved! How does it work from there? Space magic.

Element zero introduced in utero produces nodules that emit mass effect fields when bioelectric currents pass through them. Biotic amps can then be implanted to enhance and control these fields.

Its non-science, but not magic. Gameplay-wise its no different than magic, but lore-wise its science.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yes, I'd back them.

But I am afraid South Park will be a buggy mess, and if Project Eternity isn't spotless I might not feel like supporting them anymore. We'll see.

South Park has the best chances to not be buggy, so you shouldn't be afraid about that. I'd worry about eternity way more in that department. Edited by C2B