If Obsidian kickstarts a space opera RPG, would you back it?

Arcoss

Would you back it?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back it?

• Yes
    • Maybe, I'll want some details first
    • Not sure
    • Certainly not
    • Other(comment)

"Not as much 3D engine stuff generally means less bugs. Not always, but still."

You obviously don't have much experience playing old pre 3D engine stuff games if you actually believe that nonsense.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A harder sci-fi space opera would be good to differentiate from ME series.

Harder like, no FTL travel or something. I wonder how humanity will fare without FTL, cryogenics?

Digitalization.

Can't do it in fiction since audience will get hopelessly confused about existence without the fleshy bits but that's what makes most sense right now.

It also kills the potential for romances.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

Its not like FTL is entirely impossible.

Actually most likely it is.

Some people simply milk 'Hollywood imagination' and make money trying to sell the impossible.

And even if their math-bending proves realistic you still need to keep in mind that this FTL system will have planet destroying potential.

Blowing up your source and destination wold make for a pretty poor traveling experience.

Yes, I'd back them.

But I am afraid South Park will be a buggy mess, and if Project Eternity isn't spotless I might not feel like supporting them anymore. We'll see.

South Park has the best chances to not be buggy, so you shouldn't be afraid about that. I'd worry about eternity way more in that department.

In my experience, games that have had release dates postponed, been in development a long time and switched publishers have a high chance of failure.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

Yes, I'd back them.

But I am afraid South Park will be a buggy mess, and if Project Eternity isn't spotless I might not feel like supporting them anymore. We'll see.

South Park has the best chances to not be buggy, so you shouldn't be afraid about that. I'd worry about eternity way more in that department.

In my experience, games that have had release dates postponed, been in development a long time and switched publishers have a high chance of failure.

Depends entirly on the development process. From what i've followed there is a really low chance of this being buggy. It had a higher one back at THQ.

Also South Park hasn't been in actual development for a long time. Unless you count 2 years as long in video game development as long.

Edited by C2B

A harder sci-fi space opera would be good to differentiate from ME series.

Harder like, no FTL travel or something. I wonder how humanity will fare without FTL, cryogenics?

Digitalization.

Can't do it in fiction since audience will get hopelessly confused about existence without the fleshy bits but that's what makes most sense right now.

It also kills the potential for romances.

Oooh? A brain-in-a-jar future?

Or random human bits interacting with each other in computer cloud?

If Obsidian kickstarts a cyberpunk rpg would you back it?

I'd back it, and consider selling a kidney. If there's one genre that's lacking games, it's cyberpunk. I'm considering buying that Syndicate horros, ffs!
  • Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I'd probably back an Obsidian kickstarter for any genre. How much though depends on the details of the setting.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'd probably back an Obsidian kickstarter for any genre. How much though depends on the details of the setting.

I would sell one of Nep's kidneys and put the proceeds towards that High School RPG MCA is always talking about.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would sell one of Nep's kidneys and put the proceeds towards that High School RPG MCA is always talking about.

They had to compromise. Elementary School RPG. http://www.obsidian.net/games/spsot

Didn't need Kickstarter for that.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Hm... cyberpunk, space opera, and hard sci-fi...

Y'know, a solar system settled in the same manner as Cowboy Bebop might make an interesting setting. It would naturally limit the number of locations you could visit and the drain on resources and time of moving between planetary bodies would keep you from hopping around willy nilly.

• Like 1

If Obsidian were to make a grimdark RPG set, hmm... say 38000 years into the future, with some magic and sci-fi themes were one plays as a human and investigate mysteries that goes on in the shadows of a vast galaxy spannign human Imperium, beset by unimaginable horrors and xenos, controlled by a dogmatic theocratic dictatorship ripe with xenophobia and fear of sedition, then I'd sell my car to back it.

On a more serious note, it would depend alot on the pitch and the details of the game. I would'nt be much interested in a FPRPG for instance, then they'd really have to impress me with the other details.

• Like 7

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I would also sell Azdeus' car to back that project.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I would, provided they stay away from that boring time travel nonsense.  Time travel is the worst narrative device ever.

I would argue that amnesia is a worse narrative device.  And this is coming from someone who loves both Amnesia: The Dark Descent (haven't played the new one yet) and The Witcher series.

I think I can agree with you that amnesia is a pretty awful plot device, too.  Very often it is pressed into service to rescue lazy writing and plotting.  But for me, time travel is just the worst.  It is so boring, and it always devolves into an incoherent mess.

Edited by decado

I would, provided they stay away from that boring time travel nonsense.  Time travel is the worst narrative device ever.

I would argue that amnesia is a worse narrative device.  And this is coming from someone who loves both Amnesia: The Dark Descent (haven't played the new one yet) and The Witcher series.

I think I can agree with you that amnesia is a pretty awful plot device, too.  Very often it is pressed into service to rescue lazy writing and plotting.  But for me, time travel is just the worst.  It is so boring, and it always devolves into an incoherent mess.

I can prove you wrong in just four words.

Back

To

The

Future!

• Like 2

I would, provided they stay away from that boring time travel nonsense. Time travel is the worst narrative device ever.

I would argue that amnesia is a worse narrative device. And this is coming from someone who loves both Amnesia: The Dark Descent (haven't played the new one yet) and The Witcher series.

I think I can agree with you that amnesia is a pretty awful plot device, too. Very often it is pressed into service to rescue lazy writing and plotting. But for me, time travel is just the worst. It is so boring, and it always devolves into an incoherent mess.

I can prove you wrong in just four words.

Back

To

The

Future!

If altering the past creates an alternate divergent timeline, as explained by Emmet Brown, the changes creaed by Marty's actions in BTTF 1 would have created a 2nd Marty, one who grew up in that timeline. As the Marty we know only remembered his own timeline, there should be two Martys, him and the one who existed in the alternate time. BTTF2 shows this is true when they talk about Marty being in Europe in the dystopian 80s. So our Marty is just hanging around in someone elses life waiting to encounter this other Marty.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg