Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Excellent/favorite minor NPC's

npc characters setting immersion ambience

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Ingress, who accidentally stepped through a portal on her homeplane in Torment and unwittingly ended up in Sigil. Her story really moved me, especially her paranoia about not wanting to go under *any* arc in fear of it being a portal to another plane.

Really touching for some reason, felt really happy when I found out that you could help her.

Someone mentioned Bloodlines above and I have to agree. They really nailed it there with the characters. Grout's voiceactor on the tapes was fantastic for example.

• Ieo and PrimeJunta like this

Thuringwethil

Thuringwethil

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Torment was indeed filled with excellent NPCs - Fall-From-Grace, being a recruitable companion, probably doesn't count as 'minor' but I was especially moved by her promise to search the Lower Planes for the Nameless One's soul in the 'best' ending of that game. (Excellent setup, I thought, for a potential sequel centered around her finding out what happened to Nameless and why, and attempting some manner of rescue even if the best that can be done for Nameless' soul is total oblivion... but alas, there isn't much market for games starring a fully dressed, chaste succubus.)

A more recent (so new I haven't played all the way through the game yet) freeware NPC who deserves some love: The starting city in Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok includes a little boy named Heime who is usually seen practicing with his wooden sword (I spotted him 'dueling' a snowman in the street once, even) and often talks about how he wants to grow up to be a great warrior... and if you happen to be playing a warrior, he'll talk about being strong and brave like you.  Heroes deserve a little hero-idolizing now and then, don't they? :blush:

• barakav and Reever like this

motorizer

motorizer

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Fallout

Harold, Butch Harris, Set..

I could go on....

had to add this :-)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CJwu8evy9NU

Edited by motorizer, 18 January 2014 - 03:26 AM.

Monte Carlo

Monte Carlo

Vorpal Panzerfaust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 6720 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:MonteCarlo
  • Kickstarter Backer

BG!: Melincamp and the chicken saga. The self-destructing ogre. The sexist evil fighter chick.

Reever

Reever

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Torment was indeed filled with excellent NPCs - Fall-From-Grace, being a recruitable companion, probably doesn't count as 'minor' but I was especially moved by her promise to search the Lower Planes for the Nameless One's soul in the 'best' ending of that game. (Excellent setup, I thought, for a potential sequel centered around her finding out what happened to Nameless and why, and attempting some manner of rescue even if the best that can be done for Nameless' soul is total oblivion... but alas, there isn't much market for games starring a fully dressed, chaste succubus.)

A more recent (so new I haven't played all the way through the game yet) freeware NPC who deserves some love: The starting city in Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok includes a little boy named Heime who is usually seen practicing with his wooden sword (I spotted him 'dueling' a snowman in the street once, even) and often talks about how he wants to grow up to be a great warrior... and if you happen to be playing a warrior, he'll talk about being strong and brave like you.  Heroes deserve a little hero-idolizing now and then, don't they? :blush:

Yeah, I like all of the Torment companions very much, but especially Morte, Anna, Fall-From-Grace and Dak'kon. Nordom was funny too, although I didn't take him along. And the first three's bickering was just great throughout the game! =)

I'm also happy we could help Ingress!

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Aria T'Loak, from Mass Effects 2 and 3. Really good voice acting, and she did a pretty damned good job of being "bad" without being "evil."

Not a minor NPC by any definition. She was played by Carrie-Anne Moss and had an entire DLC devoted to letting players, as Shepard, try to bone her.

Edited by AGX-17, 18 January 2014 - 01:03 PM.

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

the drugged Volos in Mass Effect 2

BIONIC GOD!

i hate drugs with a passion, but that scene is just priceless

the Gothic series had a few very memorable characters too

• barakav likes this

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Krug from Dungeon Siege III :D

Swift Thomas from IWD 2, quite handy too ;)

That tough woman (Shadowrunner with gangster boyfriend) from Shadowrun Returns as well as the Shaman girl and Sam, if he counts as minor. Really well written game, even if I really forgot all the names...

Hrothgar in IWD, maybe thanks to his voice actor. Could quote the intro from that game at least until the heroes emerge after the pass to Kuldahar. Loving it. Also the mage shopkeeper in Kuldahar, and Larrel (?) with his astrolabe and... ah, too many good, atmospheric things about this game :)

Mage with fleshgolem in High Hedge in BG1. Was a pretty location for that game.

The guy disguised as a zombie in PS:T's mortuary, and "the post", and Louis at the brothel.

That damn pet headcrab in Half Life 2 that likes hiding in important machinery.

Edited by samm, 18 January 2014 - 04:12 PM.

lolaldanee

lolaldanee

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
and Larrel (?) with his astrolabe and...

now that you mention him...

EVAYNE!

Larrels daugther

how could i not think of her?

one of the most memorable NPCs in my gaming career, although you do not even meet her once

i absolutely love that whole part of icewind dale around the severed hand

Edited by lolaldanee, 18 January 2014 - 05:04 PM.

Frenetic Pony

Frenetic Pony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

"Tiax rules all!"

• Silent Winter and barakav like this

Silent Winter

Silent Winter

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1594 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Tiax rules all!"

How dare you associate Tiax with a thread on minor characters!  Clearly he was the central character of all stories on the Sword Coast.

Tiax will see you reduced in stature when he ascends :p

• milczyciel likes this

Endrosz

Endrosz

Silent Prospector of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Steam:endrosz

Oohh... the rush of memories. You sir, OP, done both great good and great evil by starting this thread. :)

Luis the Armoire from PS:T -- Best pervert in any videogame

Tarmas from NWN2 tutorial --  "Enjoying the Fair? Packs of feral children set loose to find trinkets, grown men braining one another with clubs... Do you know they're actually granting prizes for the fattest pig? As if the creatures needed encouragement. " Always cracks me up!

Hamous from Jagged Alliance 1/2 -- "Dog!" (when jaguar-like feline animals attack you in random encounters)

I'm sure there is more...

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

Gee, you sure are patient. I've run out of things to say.

There was an even more extreme version of this "click on me once more" NPC in Anachronox. The guy (you can find him on Democratus) had 50 unique lines first, then started a routine of acknowledging every 10th click, with the occasional unique line for every 50 or 100 clicks, up until... the 500th click. That's when he stole all of your money and disappeared!

I'm not kidding you. Best dev trolling ever.

Spoiler

Caerdon

Caerdon

Black Sheep of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 518 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The Shifty Looking Cow is the best character in any video game, ever.

• Leferd and Orogun01 like this

Leferd

Leferd

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2906 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Shifty Looking Cow is the best character in any video game, ever.

Definite classic.

mur'phon

mur'phon

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts

Any character in Alpha Protocol you see as minor (except Sis and Hong Shi), though especially the ice cream guy. I don't think I have ever been so scared/stressed in a game ever.

VtmB: again, most of them, special mention to the woman who remember you from before you turned, Grout, Heather (for creeping me out), and Jack.

Morrowind: falling from the sky dude.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

My favorite minor NPC in a CRPG doesn't even have a proper name.

Man, that tongue-lashing so early in the game... I was taken aback, confused, amused, and immediately fell in love with the cant. :)

Attached Files

• FlintlockJazz, Jobby and Endrosz like this

Jobby

Jobby

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer

I remember reading all that and thinking "wtf why is there all this unnecessary chat from characters that don't offer me quests!?!" The power of hindsight (and the loss of story driven cRPGS) has made me see the beauty and depth contained within that incredibly verbose game :)

Mr. Magniloquent

Mr. Magniloquent

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I was fond of Yakman. Lonely lonely Yakman running from the demons. The skeletal children and the wandering geezer at the bottom of the ocean were also great characters from Grim Fandango. Let's see...just about every character from Psychonaughts was great, minor or otherwise. Humor generally makes for a great minor NPC, as other characteristics generally need more development to give a character real memorability.

• Jarmo likes this

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1960 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

My favorite minor NPC in a CRPG doesn't even have a proper name.

Man, that tongue-lashing so early in the game... I was taken aback, confused, amused, and immediately fell in love with the cant. :)

I now wonder if there is indeed a portal to the 2817th plane of the Abyss.  And whether the Vorpal Hammer she mentions is there, seems too specific in it's name ot be made up...

EDIT:  Just realised, with the way the planes work her saying stuff like that could actually make them real anyway, so let's believe her and go get them!!! :D

Edited by FlintlockJazz, 20 January 2014 - 02:12 AM.

• Ieo likes this

Gorbag

Gorbag

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Just to name a few:

BG1 - Portalbendarwinden, Melinkamp, Albert and Ruffie, the kid with the drowned cat, and the chanters in Candlekeep garden (God, I can still hear them in my head), Silence from the shop of Silence ("Is ye friend or is ye dead?")...

BG2 - pretty much all citizens of Athkatla, from the street kids ("My mamma works in the Copper Coronet. What's a slattern?"), to the noblemen/women ("I don't usually speak to the likes of you, but hello"), to prostitutes ("Well if ye wants to go strapping with this nab, you'll first have to give up the socket-money."). Also Dradeel ("You have lots of time for reflection while waiting for the endless waves of bad-doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you're asleep."), the beholder from Shauagin city, the Lesser demonlord from the underdark ("It is most amusing, daughter darkling, the child of Bhaal has murdered you.").

IWD2 - the captain's mom (the way she talks... Ravel, is that you?), the two mercenaries in the pallisade boasting about their vermin extermination activities ("We made five gold!" PC: "I can pull five gold out of my stool."), Boghrob the giant ("They'se da ones wat smashed up the ice castle and they killed me brudda...").
PS:T - Dhall, the black abishai, the elderly hive dweller, Reekwind, Adahn, O, Ingress, the Starved dogs barking, the floating skull near the portal in Curst Gone (I also love Coaxmetal, but I don't think he counts as a minor character).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: npc, characters, setting, immersion, ambience

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users