RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Meier is in an ideal situation, he can develop anything he wants with Firaxis at this point.  He's already remade Pirates, Civilization keeps humming along, and he got to modernize a classic franchise in Xcom.  Not quite sure what anyone else wants.  If he wanted a new Alpha Centaurie he'd probably just do it.  

Why would a company owned by a publisher need to resort to kickstarter in the first place?

Publishers could let a subsidiary company go on Kickstarter to "check if there is interest", while in reality to inject less money in a project that they would have highlighted anyway.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Meier is in an ideal situation, he can develop anything he wants with Firaxis at this point.  He's already remade Pirates, Civilization keeps humming along, and he got to modernize a classic franchise in Xcom.  Not quite sure what anyone else wants.  If he wanted a new Alpha Centaurie he'd probably just do it.  

Was it really Sid Meier who was the driving force behind AC at Firaxis? I think it was this other guy... Oh yeah, Brian Reynolds was his name.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Don't know how hands on Sid Meier is with anything any more, only thing I've heard him being directly involved in was the recent mobile game whose name escapes me. Certainly other names have been primarily associated with the design of Firaxis's recent games, even if he is 'Creative Director' on all of them.

Was it really Sid Meier who was the driving force behind AC at Firaxis? I think it was this other guy... Oh yeah, Brian Reynolds was his name.

His career's gone places.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why would a company owned by a publisher need to resort to kickstarter in the first place?

Publishers could let a subsidiary company go on Kickstarter to "check if there is interest", while in reality to inject less money in a project that they would have highlighted anyway.

That is why they have a Marketing Department.

Weird. From what I know of dev teams in Serbia and Poland, their working conditions are fine. I don't know why the situation is so bad in Ukraine.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

GT 6 announced for....

PS3 O.o

surprised but happy :p

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/gran-turismo-6-announced-for-ps3/

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Weird. From what I know of dev teams in Serbia and Poland, their working conditions are fine. I don't know why the situation is so bad in Ukraine.

There's a lot of QA sweatshops around, so the conditions can vary depending on the position in the food chain, as well.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There's a lot of QA sweatshops around, so the conditions can vary depending on the position in the food chain, as well.

Well... No good product today is made in decadent working conditions where everyone has space and without child labor.

"The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Well... No good product today is made in decadent working conditions where everyone has space and without child labor.

"The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

This quest for enlightenment is just another false god. To which I have to ask:

"Will we next create false gods to rule over us?"

Sister Miriam Godwinson, "We Must Dissent"

Ok, that's stretching it a bit in relevance, but I wanted to show off my ability to quote AC as well ;)

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Get off my land you peacekeeping son-of-a....

"I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that, I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five-hundred would be pretty nice."

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan, MorganLink 3DVision Interview

EDIT: Well I just picked the most humorous quote I could remember from memory, but the more more apt for game development would be:

"My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker, or Genejack. Specially designed for labor, the Genejack’s muscles and nerves are ideal for his task, and the cerebral cortex has been atrophied so that he can desire nothing except to perform his duties. Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot feel pain?"

- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, Essays on Mind and Matter

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So you all want a cookie now, or what?

:biggrin:

"What do I care for your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of

the input and you shall become master of the output."

-- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Essays on Mind and Matter"

Probably what the manager there told them.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why is no one talking about Rome II Total War? The game is coming out soon and looks nice:

An obscenely expensive collectors edition is also going to be released:

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/19/618x465/gaming-total-war-rome-2-collectors-edition.jpg

"I shall not confront Drowsy Emperor as an enemy, but welcome his cookies as gifts to be cherished."

-Gaian acolyte prayer

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I like the box for RTW2.

Because just like every TW game for the last ten years it will be pretty much the same game with the same promises and the same gamebreaking flaws, and once again we'll all love it for a week then realise it's still broken, and then find out it's even less moddable than the last. 

Arguably it still provides enough fun to be worth the money, but it certainly isn't much to be excited about.

• Like 1

Because just like every TW game for the last ten years it will be pretty much the same game with the same promises and the same gamebreaking flaws, and once again we'll all love it for a week then realise it's still broken, and then find out it's even less moddable than the last. 

Arguably it still provides enough fun to be worth the money, but it certainly isn't much to be excited about.

Gamebreaking flaws?

Why is no one talking about Rome II Total War? The game is coming out soon and looks nice:

An obscenely expensive collectors edition is also going to be released:

http://i2.cdnds.net/13/19/618x465/gaming-total-war-rome-2-collectors-edition.jpg

Looks very good. Will buy it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

* audible gasp *

You... you've changed.

sonsofgygax.JPG

"I shall not confront Drowsy Emperor as an enemy, but welcome his cookies as gifts to be cherished."

-Gaian acolyte prayer

...do not trust Geeks bearing gifts.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Can't really remember any game breaking bugs in Shogun 2, I can remember being a little pissed at the DLC though. Blood as DLC..........

Empire was pretty bad from what I can remember though. Didn't play it much though, since I don't find that time period/setting interesting.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif