What are you playing now - the plays the thing

LadyCrimson

ZOE 2 HD

Played and beat the first one rather quickly. Apparently I don't remember this game very well at all. I thought Viola was an ex-love of Dingo's or something.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

In the Deep Roads in Dragon Age Origins. Playing as a mage.

Zevran, at this point in my game, is a horrible rogue for what I need him to do for my party. He can't even open the easiest of locks at this point (I just recruited him and haven't had a chance to level him up on my own). I'm thinking about backtracking and bringing along Leliana simply to ensure I have at least one competent lock picker in my party.

My current party of Sten, Zevran and Shale have very little in the way of party banter, as well.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In the first game I had to kill a Templar officer in the middle of a fort. I managed to get to him unseen, then after killing him the entire fort was alerted and I counterattacked about a hundred men to death.

What happened to "Stay hidden or lose synchronization" introduced in the second game?

i have had one mission require me to stay hidden so far, but most of them leave you very open to handle things as you choose.

and most of the time i find it most satisfying to play like this:

sneak around, scouting the area

quick burst of action, slaughter the key targets with my tomahawk

escape into the woods and disappear before being overwhelmed

it does feel rather last of the mohicans at times

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The slowdown in the Anubis fights in ZOE 2 HD are pretty bad. Kills their pacing and any excitement they could have.

I'm playing kingdoms of Amalur right now and I find it awesome for an action RPG, the combat feels very satisfying. Playing for the first time on hard really makes this for me

I had such high hopes for the company behind this, but how would support work if the developers have gone bust?

I still really want to play this game

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm playing kingdoms of Amalur right now and I find it awesome for an action RPG, the combat feels very satisfying. Playing for the first time on hard really makes this for me

I enjoyed it at the start, but it got kind of stale as I played farther in. I think mainly it was because a lot of the characters were kind of dull. The world itself was pretty interesting, and yes, the combat is fun. But the story and the NPCs, IMO, were kind of lacking depth.

Speaking of which, finished off the carta for Bhelan and now am about to enter the Deep Roads once more in search of Branka. I switched Leliana for Zevran because Zevran's inability to even open the easiest lock was annoying me to no end.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I had such high hopes for the company behind this, but how would support work if the developers have gone bust?

I still really want to play this game

The Dead Khel DLC was great.

The game itself is far better than a lot of people give it credit. Some of the side story arcs are very well written. The main quest isn't bad (I have seen far far worse that got a lot of praise from people ;) ), though personally I was put off by one of the npcs forced on you. The game tries to not force you along too much, but the world, while never giving the impression of being too tiny with just the bare necessities like a Bioware RPG, doesn't give the vast open world feeling of a Bethesda game either.

The main problem of the game is that once you have combat figured out, it is damn easy.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

The slowdown in the Anubis fights in ZOE 2 HD are pretty bad. Kills their pacing and any excitement they could have.

Weird, I don't recall any slowdowns on the PS2. Its sad if they screwed up a simple upgrade

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Despite the fact that they got a well known fantasy author to create the world, I found the lore and the world of KoA to be utterly dull and boring. That didn't stop the game from being fun, though. I definitely enjoyed the game... all of it except the ward dispelling mini-game. The ward dispelling mini-game in KoA may well be the worst thing ever programmed. Luckily, it can be pretty much ignored.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Despite the fact that they got a well known fantasy author to create the world, I found the lore and the world of KoA to be utterly dull and boring. That didn't stop the game from being fun, though. I definitely enjoyed the game... all of it except the ward dispelling mini-game. The ward dispelling mini-game in KoA may well be the worst thing ever programmed. Luckily, it can be pretty much ignored.

I really enjoyed the fae part of the story: the house of Ballads and the house of Sorrows story arcs that is. Everything to do with the Darkelves erm I mean Dorkalfar I found rather boring. Though it is my opinion that it is exactly because of a certain well known author that the world became so dull. He is known for writting about dark elves and most of what he did in KoA was ... write about dark elves.

Totaly agree about the dispelling mini game and mentioned it in our Alpha Protocol discussion before. I am certain that from now on, whenever faced with a mini-game I will say "Could be worse - at least its not the dispelling from KoA" :)

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Despite the fact that they got a well known fantasy author to create the world, I found the lore and the world of KoA to be utterly dull and boring.

That was one of the reasons I was convinced the game would be successful, the auspicious people involved in the game were amazing. R A Salvatore, has written books we all love. But the game just didn't sell well enough

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Still pushing along in GK2. FMV goofiness aside, is a fun story to go through.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Despite the fact that they got a well known fantasy author to create the world, I found the lore and the world of KoA to be utterly dull and boring.

That was one of the reasons I was convinced the game would be successful, the auspicious people involved in the game were amazing. R A Salvatore, has written books we all love. But the game just didn't sell well enough

The game sold fine, though not blockbuster numbers. Their problem was continued funding for the other game.

The game sold fine, though not blockbuster numbers. Their problem was continued funding for the other game.

I don't believe that is correct ?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/73968/kingdoms-of-amalur-needed-3-million-sales-to-break-even

John Milton 

Although seeing Kingdoms of Amalur at a price of around £7 I'm tempted to stretch my budget this month and pick it up on the cheap.. ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

http://www.shacknews...s-to-break-even

Said the Rhode Island Governor...

Rhode Island loaned money towards Copernicus, not Reckoning. He was probably talking about how much it would need to sell to pay back the Copernicus loan.

Reckoning was developed by Big Huge Games in Maryland. Not 38 Studios in Rhode Island.

Although seeing Kingdoms of Amalur at a price of around £7 I'm tempted to stretch my budget this month and pick it up on the cheap.. ;)

Where did you see it that cheap? I would also like to purchase it at that price :)

John Milton 

King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame

Hope you enjoy it.

Loved the game. Gives a lot of choices. And it sure isn't easy.

Let us know how your game turns out.

King Arthur 2 is good as well, though they streamlined a lot making it easy and turning it more theme-parky.

Where did you see it that cheap? I would also like to purchase it at that price :)

Amazon UK actually...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

NWN2: MotB

Learned what Safiya is. Can't say I saw that coming. I kept wondering who the Founder was.

I've really been enjoying the expansion. At the start I was asking myself what all the fuss was about, but it was only the start of the game that was like that. Maybe I should have known, because most Obsidian games have a slow start. I really want to have all characters with me at all times, but I'll complete it the way it is supposed to be played for now. I'll look for mods for a future playthrough. There is one thing that I like: You do get loot that gradually improve your character, but it doesn't drop from enemies right and left. What you get is mostly what you need and the crafting is much more user friendly than the OC. I didn't touch crafting in the main game because of how tedious it was. The writing is top notch like we can expect, and I have really come to like the characters, even if Kaelyn can be a real goodie two shoes. Safiya is very well written, but my favourites are Okku and Gann. The music is excellent, and it beats the music in both NWN and NWN2. The overall mood and themes of the game shows that you can still do something different even if you're working on a licensed product.

I've asked myself while playing this why it took me this long to play it, but then I remember the launch of NWN2 and how I did not enjoy it, especially the camera was a burden. This time, I enjoyed the original campaign too. After MotB is complete, SoZ will have to wait. I need to go back to Dishonored and I haven't even touched Darksiders II yet.

Have to admit that when I played MOTB I cheated to give myself the full party roster due to not wanting to miss anything, and it is only one character extra.

http://www.shacknews...s-to-break-even

EA said that the game sold above expectations, which is probably the closest you can get to an informed opinion on its objective success. I think the estimate from the governor was probably accurate in terms of how many they needed to sell to get through to the MMO's release and keep the company alive, rather than being a realistic expectation of actual sales.