RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!

Gorth

hopefully people who got cut can find new jobs, having blizzard on your resume probably will help.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Rumor: Sony ditching Cell for PS4, moving to AMD

Sup' Sony. First spending years of R&D and $400 million on developing the Cell, and now you're abandoning it. What a ****ing stupid move. Not only will this machine be basically identical to the next Xbox, they're also abandoning potential PS3 backward compatibity, not to mention most of these factories they bought for so much money are becoming obsolete.

I'm pretty sure people in charge of all business decisions in Sony aren't complete retards, and this move will save them money in the long run.

or they're sabotaging the whole thing

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm pretty sure people in charge of all business decisions in Sony aren't complete retards, and this move will save them money in the long run.

or they're sabotaging the whole thing

How's that supposed to save them money? The Cell already exists, not to mention all successor forms. Improving it would cost them less than actually contracting out AMD to design a CPU/GPU Fusion based die, not to mention this is gonna be based on x86 tech? I don't see how this could work well on a console, at least Nintendo and MS still use IBM PowerPC (ARM based) CPUs.

But again, this is only a rumor. Perhaps it's only the GPU, or perhaps there's indeed a benefit behind that move. Who knows. We won't find out the full details about the full specs before 2013 (E3? Or earlier).

More importantly though for a successful launch are the actual launch games.

Also, MS and Sony could do something really nasty with the input devices, like doing stuff you can't do with Mouse/KB, thus rendering PC ports useless. God hope developers are continuing making AAA PC games.

I recall the story that's been floating around some years that nVidia made enemies of both Sony and Microsoft over the contracts for the respective consoles - something like them being stuck with the original contract from the time the consoles were originally designed and being unwilling to renegotiate or something. Can't just change vendors mid-cycle of course but naturally, but it's not surprising that because of the lingering emnity that they'd switch camps to AMD (which have been supplying Nintendo since the Gamecube I believe).

So in all likelihood, all three next-gen consoles will be AMD powered. A marketing coup no doubt (not sure if they can get their logo on the actual consoles though) - but apparently in terms of profit it isn't that big a deal which is why I imagine nVidia weren't too concerned about burning bridges and preferred milking the current contract.

Actually I think the real advantage maybe AMD getting a leg up in terms of ported game performance if the architecture of the mooted console graphics are anything similar to their desktop chips, given that developers will presumably optimise for those platforms first and foremost.

As for the Blizzard staff cuts, reducing customer support staff (a lot of them in-game "Game Masters" I think?) might make sense in the context that they've lost ~15% of WoW customer base over the last year. Think it was something like 10m down from 12m. I suppose then the actual development staff cuts would be the more interesting news - chopping about 60 developers sounds like a bigger deal than the headline 600 general staff number.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I actually like the idea of playing a native American and

the US founders are Templar scum according to AC bat**** insane lore

, but I have to echo sentiments that have already been expressed all over the internet when the setting was first rumored: how does the climbing work? There weren't a lot of tall buildings that I know.

Assassins Creed 3 setting leaked.

Not really surprising.

So we really have gone from climbing cathedrals to jumping from huts. How the mighty have fallen, they really stretch a series into mediocrity

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I actually like the idea of playing a native American and

the US founders are Templar scum according to AC bat**** insane lore

, but I have to echo sentiments that have already been expressed all over the internet when the setting was first rumored: how does the climbing work? There weren't a lot of tall buildings that I know.

I was under the impression that reverse was true

assassins establishing democracy to protect the common people from templars.

And I wouldn't worry about architecture.

The series was never bothered with historical accuracy so I imagine devs will simply make things up.

I'm just disappointed that given ubisoft love of trilogies French revolution and Napoleonic wars are next in line for revision.

http://www.eurogamer...-3-cancellation

Game will not be stocking Mass Effect 3 at any of its stores.

Looks like it doesn't include Game Aus, given they are still pimping it.

WOW!!!! Now that stinks. That's a huge blow in many ways. I wonder what the sides of both sides are and why they couldn't reach an agreement. That's pretty short notice to gamers. The game comes out in less then a week!

I was under the impression that reverse was true

assassins establishing democracy to protect the common people from templars.

And I wouldn't worry about architecture.

The series was never bothered with historical accuracy so I imagine devs will simply make things up.

I'm just disappointed that given ubisoft love of trilogies French revolution and Napoleonic wars are next in line for revision.

I dunno about

Assassins establishing democracy, but I'm fairly sure at least George Washington is a Templar.

Dunno, either way, the Assassin's Creed lore is dumb in all kinds of ways so if they even decide to retcon I can't say I'll care much.

As for historical accuracy, I don't know much of the architecture of the time in AC1 and other minor details, though most of the plot was pretty much changed because "well, history has been manipulated by the Templars", and AC2 had some hilarious Italian accents for someone that actually lives here, but the cities were, I think, fairly accurate? Don't know about Brotherhood though I've heard that the art director wanted to ramp up on the baroque in Rome just to differentiate it from Florence in AC2. So, yeah, AC has always been an intentionally historically inaccurate franchise, but they have put at least some amount of research into it.

Vessel released on Steam today. For the guys who like indie platform/puzzle games. Been really looking forward to it, personally. I'll try to remember to render an opinion in the what are you playing now thread today or tomorrow.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Now that looks utterly spiffing Sorophx, one assumes they're trudging through the Fimbul winter before Surtr's flames consume Midgard; and that the narrator with the head ornamentation is some manner of half troll or jotun. I was always a little intrigued by the old norse enchantment with banners, of all the treasures the hard ruler brought back from far Miklgard, it is said that he valued the landwaster standard above them all.

The enemies (the large chaps in the black plate) look a mite pony however.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

im excited about the american revolution being the setting, i love the time period.

mostly though, im excited at the chance we'll be going to paris for AC3.2 during the french revolution, that has been by far my favorite idea for a time and place for this series to go to.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I've always wanted them to go to Russia. I want to assassinate a Tzar.

(he defeated the Swedish army in Poltava..)

Ah, Swedish Army, the French of the North.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif