What are you playing now?

Gorth

Finished Resistance 3. Didn't particularly like it. The very last area was pretty good. But most of the game was about popping out for a second to take potshots at long range. Doesn't really excite me in a game.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

(I'm also hampered by the fact that the game's opening quiz made me a Mage, which is probably the class most dependent on the learning and micro-managing of the rather involved magic system. Who knew that "Honesty" meant "Wizard"?!)

I ended up with "Sacrifice" which is apparently "Tinker."

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Got the GoG version of Ultima IV too. Brings back some memories. I wonder if the music is as good as the C64 version though?

A curse upon the Demon that lives of socks in drawers and old game boxes, I miss my old Ultima IV box. It came with a printed map and a plastic Ankh >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've read parts of a bunch of Ultima LPs and to be honest, they don't seem worth it if not for nostalgia. Before 4 they seem pretty raw and undeveloped (kind of like Final Fantasy before 4), 4/5/6 look interesting but not that fun to play due to the UI and the not so great combat system. I did have fun with 7, but partly only because the combat was so broken you could completely ignore all the battles. :D

Nostalgia definitely plays a part. It was only the second time I remember a comprehensive world with a consistent "internal logic". I.e. it's own laws of morality, physics, causality etc. You felt like you were walking around on the continent of Britannia, exploring and discovering, seizing ships for transport over water etc. I tried one of the later ones (either V or VI, don't remember which one) and didn't like it. The isometric, colourful jumbo sized graphics took up too much screen real estate at the cost of the sense of "exploring".

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I tried to play a bit of Ultima IV and it's rough going. The earliest RPG I have played is Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire (1990) and the SVGA version of Quest for Glory I. This came out in 1985 and boy does it show.

It's difficult for me to play with graphics like these.

Ultima4.gif

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I tried to play a bit of Ultima IV and it's rough going. The earliest RPG I have played is Quest for Glory 2: Trial by Fire (1990) and the SVGA version of Quest for Glory I. This came out in 1985 and boy does it show.
I tried to play Dungeons of Dagorrath, but had no manual and kept dying... I set it aside until I can find out how to play.

**Ah... Here it is on Youtube. >_<

A good RPG to try (from the late 80's and early 90's) would be any of the Gold Box SSI games (precursors to Baldur's Gate).

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gold-box-series

(Neverwinter Nights is on that list too :bat: )

** Realms of Arkania 1, 2, & 3 also...

Edited by Gizmo

Whats wrong with the graphics? >_

It even has colours! :bat:

Ultima4.gif

No fear, we have a patch!

1161__500x313_U4EGA01.png

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

Finished Resistance 3. Didn't particularly like it. The very last area was pretty good. But most of the game was about popping out for a second to take potshots at long range. Doesn't really excite me in a game.

So, does humanity in the end triumph over da bed alienz?

So, does humanity in the end triumph over da bed alienz?

I think so. They had a vaccine from Hale, so no new Chimera are being created. And they destroyed a wormhole to wherever the Chimera home is, so they couldn't get reinforcements. The end. I guess it's supposed to be just mop up operations after that, but I don't see how they have the numbers to genuinely win.

Sadly, they also went back on what the first game implied. That the Chimera were here all along and were just awakening.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

i've been playing radiant historia on my DS, its actually pretty good so far. It doesn't have the same quality of atmosphere and aesthetics that older jrpg's had, but its probably the best new jrpg since... i dunno, golden sun or dragon quest 8 maybe

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Still Darkstone. Thanks to a blog article on the topic, I was able to get it to run on the Win7 pc, which is nice. Had to use WinXP compatibility, not Win98, to make the TCP/IP play work tho (for solo, not actual mp-lan - it's good for muling, haha). Been long enough I guess that it's been fun trying to get all 4 chr. classes to into Legend difficulty. The first couple difficulties are fast/not hard to achieve, but it'll be a while before I have the 4 anywhere like I had them years ago. Can't wait to have my Thief running around invisible in Legend, trying to steal things off of all the monsters that can kill me in 1 hit. Good times. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know what sucks? When you've had a game on pre-order for probably a year and it finally arrives, but you've promised your co-op partner to not play it until he comes back and the idiot goes on vacation in Spain for three weeks.

Dead Island, I will soon come and spank your undead plague.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You know what sucks? When you've had a game on pre-order for probably a year and it finally arrives, but you've promised your co-op partner to not play it until he comes back and the idiot goes on vacation in Spain for three weeks.

You should go on without him, the game its really good. Level design in particular.

I was actually on the fence about it and even when I got it I couldn't get excited over it. But 2 hours of killing zombies can change anyone's mind :) It still has some faults but its so damn fun that I don't mind.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Still on Fallout 3. Level 15 I think. Debating if I want to visit The Pitt yet.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

You should go on without him, the game its really good. Level design in particular.

I was actually on the fence about it and even when I got it I couldn't get excited over it. But 2 hours of killing zombies can change anyone's mind :( It still has some faults but its so damn fun that I don't mind.

I have to agree, level design is really great so far and I'm only in Act II still. I've put about 16 hours in and I still have fun when coming across a random zombie. The game does have some flaws, but like Orgun01 said, it's still damn fun and the devs seem to be patching everything else out. Honestly, it's really a good game to explore the world and see what's out there. I say go have fun.

Daggerfall.

Are you using DOSBOX? Or something else?

I tried to get dagger.exe running in DOSBOX some years ago but it was hopeless. I would love to play the game again if I could get it running.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Daggerfall.

Are you using DOSBOX? Or something else?

I tried to get dagger.exe running in DOSBOX some years ago but it was hopeless. I would love to play the game again if I could get it running.

Get the Ready-to-play version and additional content from the wiki. You also need to tweak DOSBox a bit.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.