What are you playing now?

Gorth

I presume you've never seen a copy of The Lost and the Damned or Slaves to Darkness?

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.com/2011/06/b...s-of-chaos.html

No I didn't. And I wouldn't have wanted either.

Cannot unsee!

A couple friends have recently started playing Borderlands for the first time so I jumped in with a new character to go through with them. Never used Brick before, but I have to say I'm starting to like rocket launchers more than I used to. Brick has been an absolute monster so far. Just running into the middle of large groups of enemies, soaking all the damage and then getting 4-5 second winds whenever he goes down because of the insane damage a triple rocket launcher will put out.

Ooh Borderlands is awesome :thumbsup:

I began playing that again recently.

Dead Space 2.

Thin line between scary/challenging and annoying. Dead Space 2 is annoying. Maybe it's my new humongous screen but the view-bob is making me dizzy. Also with all the so called immersion and realism it's really tiresome to die because you were defeated by a crate blocking the path.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I presume you've never seen a copy of The Lost and the Damned or Slaves to Darkness?

http://wargamestuff.blogspot.com/2011/06/b...s-of-chaos.html

No I didn't. And I wouldn't have wanted either.

Cannot unsee!

Please stand by to receive Inquisition agents. :ermm:

Dark, crazy stuff. But as that article points out, it's all to do with the pervasive influence of that darkness.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I see that Gamersgate has Mysteries of Westgate for NWN2 for $9.95. Anybody here ever played it or did everybody get tired of waiting for Atari to get their act together?

If anyone played it, is it any good (for somebody who liked NWN2)?

Yes I have, in my opinion it was short but very enjoyable. It's more like an afternoon D&D session rather than the multi-part campaign that NWN2 & Mask would be.

As I remember it the mod tried very hard to make use of all the skills in conversations. The story was entertaining (if a bit cliche) and the three companions were well written, interact with each other a fair bit and they and their side-stories and interwoven with the main plot (and each other) rather nicely. The combat was challenging, I seem to remember people complaining it was unfairly balanced if you weren't playing certain couple of classes but I cannont remember how much of that is fact and how much of it is people complaining for the sake of it. The areas were nicely put together, I remember liking waterdeep a lot although you will get a sense that you're in another part of Neverwinter from time-to-time.

Very little voice acting in the mod unfortunatley, companions receive the worst of it because some of their important lines are voiced but most aren't, which is a shame because the lady rogue had a lovely voice. I don't know if this would constitute a spoiler but the mod ends setting up a sequel which (thanks to Atari being **** about their DRM testing) will never happen.

I think if you want to stretch out the NWN2 engine for a bit longer then MoW is worth

Decided to start up a new season of NHL11 using Pittsburgh. Despite the fact Crosby's got better ratings, I seem to have so much more success with Malkin. He's an absolute beast with that reach. It's early, but through 5 games Crosby has a respectable 6 points, but Malkin's tearing the league a new one with 13 points, including 9 goals. Just seems like every time Malkin shoots the puck, it goes in.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Usually most games I'd be interested in on GoG are ones that still work for me on the XP machine. But saw DK2 was on GoG & became almost excited, since my old CD of that game seems to be busted (or Xp-sp3 doesn't like it, or something, dunno). Then I read all the reviews/gog's forum about how broken their DK2 port to Win7 was. Guess I'll wait a bit. Maybe I can get the CD to work again...

In the meantime, I occasionally feed my virtual cat. But going through a box of all the nice paper book game manuals I have in storage (remember those?) made me install a few oldies tho, so think tonight I'm going to fire up some Darkstone. I don't know why I liked that terrible-graphics Diablo-clone so much, but I did (the Monk & Wizard were such an awesome duo).

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think if you want to stretch out the NWN2 engine for a bit longer then MoW is worth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dead Island. The rapper character's single is actually in the game files and clearly cost about ten times as much as the QA budget. It's pretty much Arcanum all over again - a big ball of terrible design with even worse QA that is fun in spite of itself. Terrible character design, terrible skill design, sluggish analog combat gimmick, unstoppable VOIP, a wonderful panoply of game-breaking bugs (slip-n-slide staircases! Random, inexplicable saxophone music playing over voice chat!)

I rented Resistance 3. After hating Resistance 2, I decided I wouldn't buy 3, but still would like to know how this ends.

Also, I fear my computer graphics card may be dying. Today and yesterday I got an issue while playing Space Marine where my character model would get frozen in a position (a bit more complicated than that, but that's it generally). And my menus turned all black. Hoping that's just a software bug, not hardware errors.

The fact that it doesn't continue after exiting the current match leaves me some hope. Dusted the inside of the machine just to be sure.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Still Fallout 3. Just finished Operation Anchorage.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm playing TES I: Arena which I last played about 15 years ago.

It's an amazingly fun dungeon crawler, and interestingly it uses an experience based system and has a level cap of 20. Not to mention like in D&D there are weapon and armour limits for the various classes, e.g. a mage cannot wear any armour at all and only use daggers and staves. This is a stark contrast with the retarted learn-by-doing system introduced in Daggerfall, which essentially made your character invincible after 6 levels (if you knew what you were doing).

I really am wondering who in Bethesda came up with the learn-by-doing system... I'm thinking it was Todd Howard, considering he came in to work on Daggerfall.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

By the by if you're in Europe and are considering buying Dead Island retail, reconsider. Apparently the publisher shipped off an untold number of region-locked units without telling anyone (seriously). Get it digitally or else your copy may very well be bricked. I'm not hearing encouraging things about refunds either. That's on top of the Steam release initially being a QA bugfixing version, complete with (broken) cut content.

I wager we'll be at Dead Island 3 before anyone involved in the series gains a modicum of competence. Never change, Deep Silver.

There are also a lot of community bugfixes but most of them run the risk of pissing off VAC and getting you kicked from Steam (both for DI and possibly TF2 as well). Check the Steam forum if you need to.

Edited by Pop

By the by if you're in Europe and are considering buying Dead Island retail, reconsider. Apparently the publisher shipped off an untold number of region-locked units without telling anyone (seriously). Get it digitally or else your copy may very well be bricked. I'm not hearing encouraging things about refunds either. That's on top of the Steam release initially being a QA bugfixing version, complete with (broken) cut content.

I wager we'll be at Dead Island 3 before anyone involved in the series gains a modicum of competence. Never change, Deep Silver.

There are also a lot of community bugfixes but most of them run the risk of pissing off VAC and getting you kicked from Steam (both for DI and possibly TF2 as well). Check the Steam forum if you need to.

Wow...wow...wow.

That stinks. I'm glad you gave a heads up.

Will play the Hard Reset demo, anticipate disappointment.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ehh, I guess it can be fun. Granted I was a dummy and didn't use the exploding barrels and electrical boxes as much as I should have. Steam sale worthy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Dead Island. The rapper character's single is actually in the game files and clearly cost about ten times as much as the QA budget. It's pretty much Arcanum all over again - a big ball of terrible design with even worse QA that is fun in spite of itself. Terrible character design, terrible skill design, sluggish analog combat gimmick, unstoppable VOIP, a wonderful panoply of game-breaking bugs (slip-n-slide staircases! Random, inexplicable saxophone music playing over voice chat!)

Not quite sure I agree with over 3/4 of this. Although there were some bugs, I can't agree with a comparison to Arcanum due to the devs patching a lot of bugs out already. I've put in about 12 hours so far and really don't agree with your problems of character design, skill design, game-breaking bugs, etc, but everyone has their opinion.

Because it was (and, as far as I know, still is) free on GOG, and because it pre-dated my interest in games that pushed boundaries, I'm taking a shot at Ultima 4. I doubt I have the time or patience to really take on an 80s-style CRPG, but so far it's worth a dip to get the general flavor of the game. (I'm also hampered by the fact that the game's opening quiz made me a Mage, which is probably the class most dependent on the learning and micro-managing of the rather involved magic system. Who knew that "Honesty" meant "Wizard"?!)

If you do get the free GOG version, be warned: The materials on GOG do not include the reference card, for some reason. I had to go to the internet to get the list of commands that the game recognizes.

Now that I finished DX:HR, I realized that first time in months there aren't any new games about to get released in near future that interest me. Only one I can think of is Mass Effect 3 and it's not going to get released in some time. Looks like a good time to replay some older games!

I been itching to play Baldur's Gate again since I watched let's play of Eschalon Book 2.. Or Planescape Torment.. or System Shock 2.. There's too many good old games dammit!

Now that I finished DX:HR, I realized that first time in months there aren't any new games about to get released in near future that interest me. Only one I can think of is Mass Effect 3 and it's not going to get released in some time. Looks like a good time to replay some older games!

Yeah, similar situation. Looking forward to completing another playthrough of DXHR, as well as getting the DLC, but very little coming in the next few months that interests me. Not that I'm really complaining, I'm not going to be able to do any gaming before mid-October, unless miracles happen. Cruunch tiiime!

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I am hesitantly interested in Skyrim and the next Heroes of Might and Magic (now titled Might and Magic: Heroes).

Because it was (and, as far as I know, still is) free on GOG, and because it pre-dated my interest in games that pushed boundaries, I'm taking a shot at Ultima 4. I doubt I have the time or patience to really take on an 80s-style CRPG, but so far it's worth a dip to get the general flavor of the game. (I'm also hampered by the fact that the game's opening quiz made me a Mage, which is probably the class most dependent on the learning and micro-managing of the rather involved magic system. Who knew that "Honesty" meant "Wizard"?!)

If you do get the free GOG version, be warned: The materials on GOG do not include the reference card, for some reason. I had to go to the internet to get the list of commands that the game recognizes.

Ohhh. Thank you for saying this. I had no idea it was available for free. I've never played an Ultima game before.

Edit: So I made my GOG account, noticed that Ultima 4, 5, and 6 were available for 5.99.

Edit 2: For those looking for the reference card for Ultima 4 - Ref Guide

Edit 3: And the magic guide is missing page 8, the full scan is available here - Magic Guide

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.