What are you playing now?

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

I've been playing a bit of Fallout 3 lately (since I bought the big box with all DLC's cheap). Things sort of went fine until I went to Point Lookout. Currently stuck with an unsolvable main quest, because the game CTD's every time I try to reenter Calverts Mansion after finishing the Sacred Bog quest and talking to the addle-brained guys at the Cathedral.

Not going to start over again. Bye bye Fallout 3... >_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

re: universal ammo

For me and my gameplay tastes, universal ammo is simply too abstract and simplfied to be interesting. Its the same as having one Universal Skill that governs every action or one Universal Gun that does everything.

To some degree it depends upon the design focus of the gameplay: a game that is less focused on combat can probably benefit from simplifing combat-releated aspects, so maybe universal ammo works.

The big problem for me in IW wasn't the simplification of universal ammo, rather it was the simplification of almost every aspect of the game, from the levels, to the biomods, to the skills etc. The ammo part was the least siginificant of those problems.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

re: universal ammo

For me and my gameplay tastes, universal ammo is simply too abstract and simplfied to be interesting. Its the same as having one Universal Skill that governs every action or one Universal Gun that does everything.

To some degree it depends upon the design focus of the gameplay: a game that is less focused on combat can probably benefit from simplifing combat-releated aspects, so maybe universal ammo works.

The big problem for me in IW wasn't the simplification of universal ammo, rather it was the simplification of almost every aspect of the game, from the levels, to the biomods, to the skills etc. The ammo part was the least siginificant of those problems.

You only need as much complexity as impacts gameplay. In the case of ammo, the guns still all work exactly the same whether they each had their own ammo or universal. In fact IW had one of the most interesting collection of guns I've seen. As for other gameplay, universal ammo actually enhances RPG aspects of scarcity and choice, as I said before.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Saves the developer's work I guess, not having to make sure a variety of ammo is available - I never really had a problem in DX unless I decided aiming was for fools. Making ammo need weight/inventory space or just fiddling with the availability (albeit a bit cheesier) is a bit better than having a sniper eat into his CQ weapon's ammo, for example.

Feel like playing a new adventure game, but not seeing one that catches my eye, so am going to replay Syberia.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Human Revolution. I should try out the Space Marine demo, tonight, before going back to

DATA EXPUNGED

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Eh skip it. Are you enjoying The Old Republic so far ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think voicing opinions would be an NDA violation. Maybe, maybe not, but I don't care to risk it.

Well, you gotta obey the rules.

I think voicing opinions would be an NDA violation. Maybe, maybe not, but I don't care to risk it.

*makes annoying chicken sound*

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

still playing Deus Ex HR. i think im almost at the end now, should finish it tonight.

probably going to do a replay right away. no more sneaking or hacking, im doing a balls out burn-the-world playthrough next time, just to see if that actually works and is very different than the cautious sneaky playthrough im almost finished with.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm in beta and enjoying my time with it. Will I be playing this at launch? Yes, in fact I've already cancelled my WoW and Lord of the Rings accounts.

Don't see how that is violating the NDA unless I go into specifics, which I'm not going to do. :)

I actually really really enjoyed the Space Marine demo. I'm going to have to seriously consider getting this.

cancelled my WoW

and so it begins...

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

TRYING to play Company of Heroes but it eats up so much of my ram it crashes when trying to load from level to level directly rather than through the menu.

Am going to try to get a Win 7 64bit from one of my hallmates through the bookstore to remedy this issue.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm in beta and enjoying my time with it. Will I be playing this at launch? Yes, in fact I've already cancelled my WoW and Lord of the Rings accounts.

Don't see how that is violating the NDA unless I go into specifics, which I'm not going to do. :lol:

I'm pretty close to cancelling LotRO. I already cancelled Rift. I know I'm going to get way into TOR when it finally comes out and I doubt it is going to be a short term appeal.

Don't see how that is violating the NDA unless I go into specifics, which I'm not going to do. :lol:

I'm pretty close to cancelling LotRO. I already cancelled Rift. I know I'm going to get way into TOR when it finally comes out and I doubt it is going to be a short term appeal.

Of the two, LotRO was probably the hardest for me to cancel. I enjoyed my time with that game much more than I did with WoW. Only reason I stuck with WoW as long as I did was because all my friends were playing it. Also, I pre-ordered Isengard a couple months back because I had no intentions of playing Old Republic....now I wish I hadn't. I've got to beta Isengard and there's going to be alot of disappointed players when this gets released later this month. That's all I'll say lol.

Deus Ex: HR

I guess this is what AP should have been like. Feels like I'm playing some Mass Effect / AP hybrid with improved everything.

:lol:

Well put.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Deus Ex: HR

I guess this is what AP should have been like. Feels like I'm playing some Mass Effect / AP hybrid with improved everything.

Not everything but I hope even most frigid members of Obsidian will see why AP was a commercial failure...I was amazed by some reasons from some designers about why they think AP was unpopular - They don't seem to have studied any of their competitors' works at all. I think they still have their strength in terms of conversation-based role-playing but the core-game plays were not optimized for today's format.

Finally got DXHR going, only had time to endure the intro and chat with that Pritchard guy.

Pretty unfair comparison to AP since Square Enix spend a million jillion dollars making HR, while Sega could obviously only afford a shoe string budget. Plus Obsidian had no prior experience making action/stealth games.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Theres something Im curious about in SWTOR. I was watching a recent 10 minute demo of a level 50 raid and at the beginning it showed the characters being briefed on the misssion and having the ability to reply to the NPC. In a raid, who controls the reply? It cant possibly be 10/25 individuals each answering so is it the raid leader that makes all responses?

Pretty unfair comparison to AP since Square Enix spend a million jillion dollars making HR, while Sega could obviously only afford a shoe string budget. Plus Obsidian had no prior experience making action/stealth games.
That's that but is that really only me who sees problems even in design philosophy? Also, if no Obsidian designers had seen any problem, why did Sawyer need to give a presentation like this even less than a month ago? I understand the psychology to blame publishers but Occam's razor tells me it's not the only reason. I'm not blaming anyone here. Simply put, it would be better for both designers and us if we are able to continue playing their games.