Mass Effect 3

BioWare: "Multiplayer makes RPGs better"

:ermm:

Bioware truly got fully infiltrated by that EA filth now.

Sorry, BioWare, but I don't want to tie my facebook account to my Mass Effect character. That's just about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I play video games to get away from real life.

And what the **** is a "core social gamer?"

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Facebook users?

When life sucks, live your life online instead :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

When life sucks, live your life online instead :ermm:

And what do you call someone who does that alone too...?

(like, well, me 0_0)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

BioWare: "Multiplayer makes RPGs better"

:p

Bioware truly got fully infiltrated by that EA filth now.

Sorry, BioWare, but I don't want to tie my facebook account to my Mass Effect character. That's just about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. I play video games to get away from real life.

A fancy name for the CoD crowd

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm pretty sure the CoD crowd aren't dying to broadcast their game progress to their facebook accounts either.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

When you try to imagine these things getting actioned, it helps to picture a boardroom full of senior staff who have no clue whatsoever what is being said, and a bunch of junior staff who don't know why they're saying it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So because I'm not a huge fan of internet multiplayer, not only will I pay for large component I won't use, my single player experience will be lesser as well (not getting those extra areas that you can unlock). That just irks me. I most likely will be getting ME3 regardless, just to see the story finished, but this type of thinking certainly isn't for me.

"broadcast their game progress over facebook". NEEEEERRRRRDDDDSSSS

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I'm pretty sure the CoD crowd aren't dying to broadcast their game progress to their facebook accounts either.

If you only went to the BW Social site, this would seem like the appropriate next step. You can display your virtual "achievements" on a bunch of gaming sites, so why not Facebook?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

If you only went to the BW Social site, this would seem like the appropriate next step. You can display your virtual "achievements" on a bunch of gaming sites, so why not Facebook?

You can, nobody cares though. You've been able to do it on Steam Community ever since Steam Community came into existence, too. But it's not why people use Steam.

They think it will draw in the "core social gamer." You think that's the CoD crowd. I ask you not to explain why Bioware is doing it, but what makes you think the CoD crowd is that group and cares about this particular feature.

I'm with Oblarg. I'm not sure it's a real group, maybe it's MMO gamers. And that social integration features aren't going to draw anyone.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So...they can share which NPC they've romanced or quest completed ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

i feel like i should post that revenge of the nerds clip a few more times.

why the hell would i want to broadcast over facebook which fictional teenage elf girl my awesome fictional stud man seduced today.

it's bad enough knowing that i did that at all, let alone telling my real life friends and family about it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i feel like i should post that revenge of the nerds clip a few more times.

why the hell would i want to broadcast over facebook which fictional teenage elf girl my awesome fictional stud man seduced today.

it's bad enough knowing that i did that at all, let alone telling my real life friends and family about it.

Tell us how you really feel.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

They think it will draw in the "core social gamer." You think that's the CoD crowd. I ask you not to explain why Bioware is doing it, but what makes you think the CoD crowd is that group and cares about this particular feature.

I'm with Oblarg. I'm not sure it's a real group, maybe it's MMO gamers. And that social integration features aren't going to draw anyone.

I'm just using that term as an allusion to their shift in target demographic, back when they said that they wanted the CoD crowd. In reality both MMOs and CoD have a social aspect in common, because CoD has become mostly about the multiplayer.

Although I'm beginning to suspect that the core social gamer is right next to the mythical unicorn and BW is chasing a pipe dream.

village_idiot.gif

There's nothing really social about playing online games, unless you're doing it in the same room with friends or family. Even then its not really a social activity because you're interacting primarily with the game, which requires the greatest part of your concentration and not with other people. Sad but true.

In shooters especially, where players are no more than slightly more sophisticated bots.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

that's a very narrow definition of "social" you're painting there

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

i disagree, people will always want to play other people, and when the ai gets smarter than people it won't be worth playing the ai because "why practice for competition against an ai that will be doing things your opponents won't"

i disagree, people will always want to play other people, and when the ai gets smarter than people it won't be worth playing the ai because "why practice for competition against an ai that will be doing things your opponents won't"

Exactly. In fact I'd even go as far as saying that single player games will keep their AI dumb just to accommodate losers like me. I want stuff that is easy to kill and makes me feel awesome.

Exactly. In fact I'd even go as far as saying that single player games will keep their AI dumb just to accommodate losers like me. I want stuff that is easy to kill and makes me feel awesome.

Having dabbled a bit with AI during my university years, I suspect it might also be because of serious technical challenges. Not only how to model the game in way AI can deal with problems, but AI algorithms are often very resource intensive. No point in a great AI if it brings your system to a grinding halt. That's why they occasionally rely on cheats and shortcuts for computer opponents (imho).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's nothing really social about playing online games, unless you're doing it in the same room with friends or family. Even then its not really a social activity because you're interacting primarily with the game, which requires the greatest part of your concentration and not with other people. Sad but true.

Dunno. There was some heavy chatting back when I was playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

So there was definitely a social element there...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

It's funny how people take everything I say at face-value. >_<

Competitive AI is maybe not the hardest thing to do with the right processing power (though if the AI is too good, you start loosing and thus negate the whole point of having a fun game), but implementing creative and unpredictable AI that can emulate human behaviour, linked with a procedural animation and voice system would be one terrifying leap forward. But useful AI is a very hard field, so we're gonna continue to play with our dumb XBL buddies for the foreseeable future. I hope I could put some fears to rest.

Dunno. There was some heavy chatting back when I was playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

So there was definitely a social element there...

Last I spent two hours sitting in GW chatting with a friend. That's not a social activity. At all. >.>