What are you playing now?

I was thinking of an early PC game today.. it was a flight simulator and you were flying in old biplanes - but it was also a strategy game where your mobile base was a giant blimp/airship and you had to conquer areas by attacking the enemy's air base.. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Also, still playing FO:NV.

Crimson Skies maybe

Free games updated 3/4/21

Baldur's Gate 1. Having finished Fallout 2. It's great fun, notwithstanding the problems I'm having with the aftereffects of installing Tutu.

In my opinion Tutu is nothing but a pain in the arse. But I'm a purist.

EDIT: I mean no offence to the chaps who obviously put a lot of work into Tutu. I just think that the project got carried beyond a simple interface change and into game balance, which IMO they got wrong.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

But if I don't use Tutu, then I can't play a Wild Mage!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was thinking of an early PC game today.. it was a flight simulator and you were flying in old biplanes - but it was also a strategy game where your mobile base was a giant blimp/airship and you had to conquer areas by attacking the enemy's air base.. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

Crimson Skies maybe

Or maybe Air Power: Battle For the Skies by Rowan (1995)?

Kinda hard to place where early PC games should be...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm half-way through Chapter 3 of the Witcher, again trudging through the swamps which are now not only crawling with bloedzuigers, drowners and drowned dead, but also kikimores.

Importing an endgame save to the sequel better be worth it.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I have a feeling you won't think it is.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Crimson Skies maybe

Or maybe Air Power: Battle For the Skies by Rowan (1995)?

Kinda hard to place where early PC games should be...

That was it! Thanks.. I thought it was older to be honest (91-93'ish). Crimson Skies seems interesting.

Fortune favors the bald.

I bought Crimson Skies on the Xbox for 3$. Still the most fun I've ever had with a a game.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Been playing nothing. 18 hour power outage.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Been playing nothing. 18 hour power outage.

Sounds like you have to go back to living a live, sorry for you mate :lol:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I got Homefront on a whim. I was shocked by how good it is! :lol: I dont know about the story because Ive only played an hour but the gameplay is solid, it looks really good and it runs really smooth. It seems one critic must have had an axe to grind and then everyone else just followed suit.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I got Homefront on a whim. I was shocked by how good it is! :o I dont know about the story because Ive only played an hour but the gameplay is solid, it looks really good and it runs really smooth. It seems one critic must have had an axe to grind and then everyone else just followed suit.

Most of what I've heard comes down to "It's SHORT and doesn't give the game a chance to really show off".

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I got Homefront on a whim. I was shocked by how good it is! :lol: I dont know about the story because Ive only played an hour but the gameplay is solid, it looks really good and it runs really smooth. It seems one critic must have had an axe to grind and then everyone else just followed suit.

Yes, as a first person shooter only the mechanics are solid. The trouble is. the single player lasts about 4 hours.

And the way they'd pushed some of the pr and advertising for it had suggesting there'd be a bit more to it then just a linear "point a to point b" shoot em up.

They'd made a point about going on about how there would be consequences to your actions, and wotnot.. which (to my mind at least) suggests you'd be able to actually make some choices in it such as in Freedom Fighters where you could select which missions you did in what order and that would change what you might face.

As it is, 4-5 hours of no choice, just run forward following a companion and shooting people.. and then the whole "we're going to tell the rest of the story in dlc you pay for and sequel games."

I don't mind stories being told in continuation like that.. but when they're that flipping short in a single game, it cheeses me off a bit.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh crap, I hate it when games dont end and wrap up properly. DLC and episodic content scams are the devils handywork.

..I dont mind the linearity though. It would have been a completely different and much better game if it had been like STALKER, but an old-school shooting spree is good enough. It helps make each encounter/scene/stage feel more unique wheras freeroaming games often get confused and off-pace

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

PC: Super Meat Boy. One of the best and most challenging platformers I have ever played. I am not good at games in this genre, but it was very cheap during the Steam Christmas sale. I've reached hell and completed half of the levels there, done a few retro stages and completed a few Dark World levels.

When the challenge is driving me crazy, I go to the PS3 and play Demon's Souls. Killed 4 bosses and killed some mini bosses. I'm getting a better grip of the game and dying a little less than I did in the beginning.

Oh crap, I hate it when games dont end and wrap up properly. DLC and episodic content scams are the devils handywork.

..I dont mind the linearity though. It would have been a completely different and much better game if it had been like STALKER, but an old-school shooting spree is good enough. It helps make each encounter/scene/stage feel more unique wheras freeroaming games often get confused and off-pace

Don't get me wrong, the basic story is fairly well done for what's there. And the background events can really push the mood of it all. The mass grave incident can hit a few buttons.

But what you're left with is this short story of

"you get pulled into the resistance because you're a pilot, you take part in hijacking some fuel tankers, get them across country, and use them to fuel remnant army vehicles to re-take san francisco and have a mass battle on the golden gate bridge."

And then it ends on a partial cliffhanger kind of note.

A lot of the complaints I hear about Homefront sound like they could have been used on Modern Warfare 2. Is the actual shooting as good or better? At least the story couldn't be any dumber... right?

Once you get past the series of events that allows North Korea to take over most of Asia and North America..:(

The story makes sense once you get going. But it's just a snapshot of the resistance rather than anything more.

If you were expecting to play the game of "Red Dawn" you'd be disapointed :lol:

If you were expecting to play the game of "Red Dawn" you'd be disapointed :lol:

I was expecting that and Im not disapointed.

Finished Syberia, ending was a bit too convenient but eh. I did like the opera bit. Now onto Syberia II.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra