Dragon Age 2

"Noober in Baldurs Gate"

This be funny but I did not exist on the internet when BG was released. In fact, you can blame BG for me posting on the internet.

And you were all about the dwarves when you first started posting anyhow.

Go Dwarves, go!

:teehee:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i would love a turn based mass effect

me too :teehee:

But some girls i know maintain actively playing and actively playing and purchasing all of the DLC as well as the books. Can't comprehend why.

for teh seks of course 9at least the ones I know do). same goes for ME, all they care about is the who slept with whom :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Are you insane? The ME fanbase would have a collective heart attack.

You speak of this as it would be something bad, why is that?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You speak of this as it would be something bad, why is that?

:teehee: Don't mess around, man. The Bioware fanbase are pretty humorless folk.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

gah. they should just release a turn based dragon age and turn based mass effect and label them something other than sequels. metal gear had the Ac!d series, why can't we have nice things for our rpg franchises :(

i wouldnt care if the graphics were poo even. infinity engine or better would be good enough for me.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"The Bioware fanbase are pretty humorless folk. "

That's true. The major butthurt over everything BIO does shwos this. Just mention that DA is better than Bg and you'll see the BIO fanbase crying tears of murder.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

i like realtimewithpause too, but I think that there should still be a few turn based games coming out.

there are a billion on the handheld systems, but they lack rpg depth usually.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i like realtimewithpause too, but I think that there should still be a few turn based games coming out.

The thing is that adding super nice graphics to a turn based games just makes the ridiculousness of "you hit me - I hit you" so much more obvious. Which is probably part of the reason why they have gone on to handhelds and the scary void of indie PC rpgs.

Since no one has really managed to make a turn based game "exciting" without losing the turn-basedness, we won't probably be seeing any AAA releases in that category, unless it's some weird card or puzzle game.

i think doing as something as simple as making the ground look like a board game grid could really overcome the "you hit me i hit you" aspect, people are used to board games being turn based. chess without taking turns would just become a boxing match.

people are willing to accept turn based games, you just have to make it "feel" right, ie dont make it feel clunky and slow.

I don't think anyone wants to pause their epic Mass Effect or Dragon Age experience every 15 minutes to play a game of chess. Which is kind of the problem.

To make it not clunky or slow, you would at least have to do something like the Final Fantasy turn-meter. Also being turn-based would be worthless without additional tactical options, which in turn would slow everything down even more.

Edited by Purkake

oh come on, a sci-fi turn-based game with micro-management in-between missions? I'll take two! mostly because no developer could repeat the wonder x-com was (and still is for me). turn-based games stand strong still. plus, I've read somewhere that the average gamer keeps getting older with each year. I think grown-up working type guys would appreciate a good TB game a lot more than a horrible tunnel-crawler, even with a pause.

I liked the idea about making more RPGs like Shadow of Colossus, I'd love to see the new x-com or jagged alliance game with thousands of lines of dialogue, different possible endings and a solid base system similar to SPECIAL.

The last non-indie turn based RPG I can remember was ToEE.

huh? what does ToEE stand for?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah man, sorophx gets what I'm talkin about. A sweet rpg, but with badass turn based combat built on a solid character system. you would have less fighting in it than in dragon age or mass effect, but the battles would be more epic, like shadow of collossus. god that could be so awesome. when I make my millions I'll come back to this idea and show the world...

oh, right, Troika's? gotta check it out

Walsingham said:

i think doing as something as simple as making the ground look like a board game grid could really overcome the "you hit me i hit you" aspect, people are used to board games being turn based. chess without taking turns would just become a boxing match.

people are willing to accept turn based games, you just have to make it "feel" right, ie dont make it feel clunky and slow.

Oh come on, even Chess Boxing is turn based ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The thing is that adding super nice graphics to a turn based games just makes the ridiculousness of "you hit me - I hit you" so much more obvious. Which is probably part of the reason why they have gone on to handhelds and the scary void of indie PC rpgs.

Since no one has really managed to make a turn based game "exciting" without losing the turn-basedness, we won't probably be seeing any AAA releases in that category, unless it's some weird card or puzzle game.

I wonder if it would help if it was "flaired" up a bit. That is, while our turns our still played out individually, have extra ambient "attacks" that don't actually do anything simply for fluff? KOTOR "sorta" did this by having extra shots on top of the one that "counted" but maybe the idea could be refined a bit more?

Actually turn-based RPGs ARE being made for a console, the PS3. However the current trend with turn based RPG's is to have each character have a turn, and then have them either have action points or take actions over a specific time with the turn. Resonance of Fate was one I played recently that was pretty good in this aspect. I didn't quite like Trinity Universe, but that was another one of these types of games. Resonance of Fate had pretty good graphics as far as I'm concerned.

Why? I like turn based games.

(I actually think there would be less useless fervor over DA2 if it had been called "Dragon Age: The Champion of Kirkwall". To many people got hung up on the idea (at least in my opinion) that DA2 should be a direct continuation of DA1 with nothing at all about the game changed other than a new/more story)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

(I actually think there would be less useless fervor over DA2 if it had been called "Dragon Age: The Champion of Kirkwall". To many people got hung up on the idea (at least in my opinion) that DA2 should be a direct continuation of DA1 with nothing at all about the game changed other than a new/more story)
Almost funny how nowadays you can't call something a sequel because it has changes! :x

Considering the RAGE they are experiencing over something as trivial as the game being ported onto PS3, I would suggest that they'd spontaneously combust instead. :x

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif