Dragon Age 2

I think there have been a few things mentioned that have made me think of Witcher, but then again, I haven't played it (yet). Maybe when the dissertation is done, I'll reward myself with that one.

to be honest I liked The Witcher a lot more than I did DA: O :ermm: and I guess I wasn't alone in this, judging by the developer's actions. but it won't save Bio from the humiliation that will certainly follow when The Witcher 2 hits the shelves.

Now let's not kid ourselves though, you may prefer The Witcher 2 to Dragon Age 2 but Dragon Age 2 will sell a tons more than The Witcher 2 and likely will have a better critical reception.

y'know... I've been thinking about dragon age a bit. The combat sucked pretty hard in that game. It might not have been noticeable had there been a 60% reduction in the amount of fights you have to engage in, but as it stood, with that many millions of mooks to slay, the combat became a chore by mid-game. I didnt feel that way the first time I played, but I recently tried replaying the game, made it past lothering, and then started remembering how many more of the same 2 darkspawn types I had to kill (seriously, wtf was up with the lack of enemy types in that game...) and gave up.

the combat in mass effect 2 was not a chore for me, it wasnt great, but I never got pissed off at all the fighting.

so if they have to scrap the combat from dragon age to avoid having a horribly repetitious experience again (presumably because they don't know how to make a game that doesnt have 1billion fights in it), then so be it.

The best parts of dragon age were the character interactions (ie your dog pestering everyone) and the moments where you felt like your decisions mattered. the worst parts were all the fights. There were a few cool fights, like the incredibly frustrating fight against ser cauthrien (who could have singlehandedly ended the blight...), but mostly they were just annoyances.

So yeah, I guess I'm now on board for the overhaul to the combat system even though i was against it before.

edit: I wonder also, how much better could a crpg be if the encounter system was modeled more after shadow of colossus (ie, there are only boss fights)? Imagine dragon age with only 15-25 fights in the whole game, but each one is an epic and mind wracking battle where you are forced to use lots of tactics and strategies and adapt your attack several times in the fight to adjust to new paramaters? (ie crumbling landscapes, reinforcements etc etc)

could be cool. could be a lot cooler than 1 million tunnel fights.

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

It was a montage or ridiculous facial expressions between some glowy sword fighting, yay.

Dragon Age's advertising has always been terrible. More melodramatic or NEW **** than the actual game turned out to be.

Not that Origins didn't at least try to be dark, edgy, and brooding. They were just smart enough to toss in three characters that were actually FUN to balance it out.

I only count 2, who's the third?

Ohgren, Shale, and Alistair. Though Alistair's kind of a part timer. So maybe 2 1/2.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Now let's not kid ourselves though, you may prefer The Witcher 2 to Dragon Age 2 but Dragon Age 2 will sell a tons more than The Witcher 2 and likely will have a better critical reception.

yeah, wishful thinking on my part, but a man can dream :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

yeah, wishful thinking on my part, but a man can dream :p

A broken man can no more dream than a caged bird can sing.

I'd like to think that I eat hope.

The snark comes naturally, though. I would probably make a good gawker writer or maybe a video blogger :p

I wanted to paint you in a better light man. :p

You know, eating misery means that there is less misery around the world. You were actually a good guy in disguise!

And now you ruined that and showed your true colors.

y'know... I've been thinking about dragon age a bit. The combat sucked pretty hard in that game.

I think it's pretty impossible to enjoy DAO if you hate its combat... unless you're one of those scary people that have been trained by the market to enjoy badly written self-indulgent Disney-romance-meets-fantasy-with-an-epic-complex. I mean, I thought the setting was pretty nice and there were a lot of things to do in the world, but ultimately for me it's a hearty fighting-in-tunnels affair. Which is why the possible removal of topdownview sucks so much.

Instead of controlling a n00b Grey Warden focused on extinguishing the Blight (basically like Armageddon, but with more Darkspawn and Archdemons), your new protagonist is an upcoming human champion named Hawke. While you can't choose your race (which is a major bummer) you can still pick your character's class, gender and can still customize how he or she looks.

Press Release + Awkward 'Cool' = Games Journalism! It's like real journalism but better because it's not stuffy.

From the IGN article:

If you were concerned that Dragon Age was being fed through the Mass Effect sausage grinder, you shouldn't be. Yes, they've adopted the conversation wheel and cinematic, fully-voiced speeches, but that's no cause for alarm

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

yeah that ign article was an absolute joke.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

"The trailer suggests Hawke is some sort of Geralt ripoff (fencer + some magic)."

LMAO You say that like Geralt is the original fighter/spellcaster type. Don't be silly. Geralt himself is one of the biggest ripoffs of fantasy. There's nothing original about that loser. Then aagin, TW is a crappy game, crappy book (though I didn't waste my time with the book thank god), crappy D&D rip off world, crappy rip off main character, crappy everything.

As for the video, it's alright, nothing new. That said, the bashing of it is hialrious ebcause pretty much everyone bashing it in this thread is gonna buy the game anyways. *shrug*

P.S. Nothing is funnier than claiming a game's marketing sucks then the claimant going out to buy/paly the game. LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

y'know... I've been thinking about dragon age a bit. The combat sucked pretty hard in that game.

I think it's pretty impossible to enjoy DAO if you hate its combat... unless you're one of those scary people that have been trained by the market to enjoy badly written self-indulgent Disney-romance-meets-fantasy-with-an-epic-complex. I mean, I thought the setting was pretty nice and there were a lot of things to do in the world, but ultimately for me it's a hearty fighting-in-tunnels affair. Which is why the possible removal of topdownview sucks so much.

Instead of controlling a n00b Grey Warden focused on extinguishing the Blight (basically like Armageddon, but with more Darkspawn and Archdemons), your new protagonist is an upcoming human champion named Hawke. While you can't choose your race (which is a major bummer) you can still pick your character's class, gender and can still customize how he or she looks.

Press Release + Awkward 'Cool' = Games Journalism! It's like real journalism but better because it's not stuffy.

I guess I must be trained by the market then. I did enjoy the combat however, but even without it I think I would have enjoyed the game overall.

I'm confused. Regarding PC version, aren't the combat mechanics going to be similar to Origins and it's the console versions that are going through a major revision? I'm getting different messages here.

As for the video. At least they stopped going for the "edgy hardkoar metal" theme. :p

Edited by Syraxis

Regarding PC version, aren't the combat mechanics going to be similar to Origins and it's the console versions that are going through a major revision?

I dug around on the Bioware forum and apparently this is true, which is great news.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/14...064634&lf=8

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/

Combat on the consoles is being streamlined to better utilize the controller interface. Combat on the PC should be largely the same. [GameInformer article]

Also thought this was pretty interesting;

Decisions made in DA:O will show up in future iterations of the DA universe. [Podcast - Episode 1]

"Our intent is to include information and decisions from Awakening as well as Origins into DA2." [Mike Laidlaw]

...the DLC from Origins will be tied to this game as well. You will see characters from that DLC in this game - Mike Laidlaw

Edited by Serrano

I guess I must be trained by the market then. I did enjoy the combat however, but even without it I think I would have enjoyed the game overall.

We're all trained by the market, don't beat yourself up. ;)

I'm just not sure what there is to enjoy in DAO if you don't like the combat, it'll probably still be a fair experience but with nothing that really excites.

LMAO You say that like Geralt is the original fighter/spellcaster type. Don't be silly. Geralt himself is one of the biggest ripoffs of fantasy.

There's nothing original about that loser. Then aagin, TW is a crappy game, crappy book (though I didn't waste my time with the book thank god), crappy D&D rip off world, crappy rip off main character, crappy everything.

Said the guy who is praising BIOWARE ideas all the time.

LMAO indeed.

And sorry Volourn but you cannot deny that Dragon Age seems inspired by The Witcher.

I don't know if that is intentional, but the resemblence beetween Witchers & Great Wardens is pretty big.

Both are ancient Order that fights with monsters, and no one takes them seriously anymore, despite their past glory.

Also ghettos for the elves and general intolerance toward the different races, grey moral decisions (The one with Dalish Elves and Werewolves felt almost exactly like it was taken from The Witcher, though in DA, you actually could make the good decision, unlike in The Witcher, where you are always choosing the lesser evil).

And now in the newest trailer the Hawke is doing almost exactly the same things that were in The Witcher's outro.