Dragon Age 2

I think I may hate Bioware's point system. Why does it even exist? Decided to finally catch up on the Dragon Age DLC. I total up the amount for the DLC I want, including some left over points so I can be ready to purchase Witch Hunt. $29. There is no way of getting that equivalent of points without going over and without making four seperate purchases (10, 7x2, 5). How stupid does one have to be to think that's a good system? You can't even add multiple to a single purchase, you get one choice and checkout.

I thought maybe I could go ahead and prepare for the ME2 DLC I'll eventually get, maybe it'll end up rounded that way. That totals it up to $53. That is not any easier.

I hope they overhaul that nonsense by Dragon Age 2's release.

Dear Obsidian, if one of your publishers ever thinks about using a point system for one of your games' DLC without being forced to by microsoft (or other third party holding the keys to the distribution system), somebody say something.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think I may hate Bioware's point system. Why does it even exist? Decided to finally catch up on the Dragon Age DLC. I total up the amount for the DLC I want, including some left over points so I can be ready to purchase Witch Hunt. $29. There is no way of getting that equivalent of points without going over and without making four seperate purchases (10, 7x2, 5). How stupid does one have to be to think that's a good system? You can't even add multiple to a single purchase, you get one choice and checkout.

I thought maybe I could go ahead and prepare for the ME2 DLC I'll eventually get, maybe it'll end up rounded that way. That totals it up to $53. That is not any easier.

Dear Obsidian, if one of your publishers ever thinks about using a point system for one of your games' DLC without being forced to by microsoft (or other third party holding the keys to the distribution system), somebody say something.

This is why I do not buy DLC.

**** DLC. **** the entire concept. Put what you want to be in the game into the game at release. If you have more ideas for that game later on, make a sequel.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

**** DLC. **** the entire concept. Put what you want to be in the game into the game at release. If you have more ideas for that game later on, make a sequel.

That won't make such a nice and tidy profit though. The entire idea is to get people to pay a lot more for the game, just distributing the expense for the customer over time. MMO Lite if you want :ermm:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

That won't make such a nice and tidy profit though. The entire idea is to get people to pay a lot more for the game, just distributing the expense for the customer over time. MMO Lite if you want :ermm:

Which is why I don't buy it.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I'm not sure of the rationale, but I assume it's somehow related to points/real money changes depending on the buyer's location... :ermm:

That said, I think it's an absolutely idiotic system (which I can somewhat understand on the console side, as they sell those 'point' cards to kiddies without credit cards) and vastly prefer Sony's more straightforward approach.

As idiotic as the 'you can only buy one package of points at a time' webstire is, Bio at least sells points in DLC cost equivalent units, unlike Microsoft... o:)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I called it a wasteland too. Likely been scorched due to the blight. It's not a flat desert with intense heat that's going to cause mirages though.

Even in a wasteland there is some meteorological effect, fog, dust, or at least something more than a clear yellow sky :brows: I'm okay with big open spaces but usually there is something to enrich them. Maybe it's not finished, i'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt but the screenshots do no favors to my already growing discontent with DA2.

There is a haze in the screenshots. The sky is most definitely not clear. You can see that the sun is hazed out in the background. The sky is a hazy blue, with clouds that have a hint of red in them due to the hazy sunrise. The yellow you see in the sky is definitely clouds. You can see the breaks behind them. They are yellow due to the sun being so low in the sky. Closer to the horizon is a blue haze, except towards the as the sun illuminates some of the haze itself.

Here's some actual real life photographs that I think are somewhat similar:

(I like this one because it even shows bluer sky below the yellower sky created by the clouds and haze.

Heck, after finding these pictures I'll rescind my previous statement that the DA2 screenshots probably aren't from a desert.

The sun in DA2 has no glare, it basically blends with the few clouds to form a yellow sky. Maybe is the angle at which the pictures where taken but there is also no distance blur. For a big open space it actually feels constricting.

Moving on to the character models; the darkspawn change is actually for the worst. I happened to love the way that the darkspawn looked on the first game, specially the Ogre.

Now they look like malformed crap, whomever thought it would be a good idea should be fired.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif