Dragon Age 2

"And sorry Volourn but you cannot deny that Dragon Age seems inspired by The Witcher."

Yes, i can.

1. Dragon Age started development at the same time or even before The Witcher.

2. BIO made it clear what previous works infleunced (aka what they ripped off) DA. None of which was TW. One example was Fire & Ice.

3. The Witcher is not original in any way. It is a rip off of other works so why bother ripping off the rip off. It's like the tools who claim that Elminster is a rip off of that Stupid LOTOR wizard when that stupid LOTOR wizard is a rip off of Merlin.

"I don't know if that is intentional, but the resemblence beetween Witchers & Great Wardens is pretty big.

Both are ancient Order that fights with monsters, and no one takes them seriously anymore, despite their past glory."

This is common in many fantasy stories. D&D has tons of groups that resemble this.

"Also ghettos for the elves and general intolerance toward the different races, grey moral decisions (The one with Dalish Elves and Werewolves felt almost exactly like it was taken from The Witcher, though in DA, you actually could make the good decision, unlike in The Witcher, where you are always choosing the lesser evil)."

Again, this is done in D&D. This is not original to TW.

"And now in the newest trailer the Hawke is doing almost exactly the same things that were in The Witcher's outro."

*yawn* Many game shave intros like this. Heck, it's basically the NWN intro fight between a certain lord of Neverwinter and a minotaur except magic is thrown in. Not new.

Bottom line is TW is an overrated piece of crap that is one of the most unoriginal, horribly written, horrioble developed, piece of crap. TW is a dumbed down rip off of multiple D&D products let alone general fantasy.

Plain, and simple garbage that only trolls would bring up in a DA thread to besmirch actual good games.

P.S. It should be pointed out that while people will shout to the high heavens that DA is a 'rip off' of TW, others will cry that it's a 'rip off' of LOTOR, and others will whine that it's a 'rip off' of BG.

*shrug*

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Such excitement... Take a deep breath and relax Volourn ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Dragon Age started development at the same time or even before The Witcher.

not like it actually proves your point. but are you sure about that? I mean teh witcher was a NWN total conversion at first, not a standalone game. the development started right when the aurora tools came out.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Dragon Age started development at the same time or even before The Witcher.

not like it actually proves your point. but are you sure about that? I mean teh witcher was a NWN total conversion at first, not a standalone game. the development started right when the aurora tools came out.

That's because the Witcher uses the Aurora tools ;) It's a vicious cycle!

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm surprised BioWare hasn't put a Volourn NPC in one of their games yet.

Noober in Baldurs Gate ;)

My reaction was going to be the same thing. There's a lot of coincidentalities to other games (witcher, AP) that make one think how coincidental they are. Of course, other devs pull stuff from bio games, so I can't really blame them for doing the same... which, again, might be a coincidence. :)

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"And sorry Volourn but you cannot deny that Dragon Age seems inspired by The Witcher."

Yes, i can.

1. Dragon Age started development at the same time or even before The Witcher.

2. BIO made it clear what previous works infleunced (aka what they ripped off) DA. None of which was TW. One example was Fire & Ice.

3. The Witcher is not original in any way. It is a rip off of other works so why bother ripping off the rip off. It's like the tools who claim that Elminster is a rip off of that Stupid LOTOR wizard when that stupid LOTOR wizard is a rip off of Merlin.

"I don't know if that is intentional, but the resemblence beetween Witchers & Great Wardens is pretty big.

Both are ancient Order that fights with monsters, and no one takes them seriously anymore, despite their past glory."

This is common in many fantasy stories. D&D has tons of groups that resemble this.

"Also ghettos for the elves and general intolerance toward the different races, grey moral decisions (The one with Dalish Elves and Werewolves felt almost exactly like it was taken from The Witcher, though in DA, you actually could make the good decision, unlike in The Witcher, where you are always choosing the lesser evil)."

Again, this is done in D&D. This is not original to TW.

"And now in the newest trailer the Hawke is doing almost exactly the same things that were in The Witcher's outro."

*yawn* Many game shave intros like this. Heck, it's basically the NWN intro fight between a certain lord of Neverwinter and a minotaur except magic is thrown in. Not new.

Bottom line is TW is an overrated piece of crap that is one of the most unoriginal, horribly written, horrioble developed, piece of crap. TW is a dumbed down rip off of multiple D&D products let alone general fantasy.

Plain, and simple garbage that only trolls would bring up in a DA thread to besmirch actual good games.

P.S. It should be pointed out that while people will shout to the high heavens that DA is a 'rip off' of TW, others will cry that it's a 'rip off' of LOTOR, and others will whine that it's a 'rip off' of BG.

*shrug*

Dragon Age is a rip off of everything Generic Fantasy. It takes from so many sources you can tie it to anything. Even the name is probably random generated.

Unlike the Witcher which has a modicum of originality. Less so in terms of written fantasy, but definitely different when put alongside other PC RPG's. Some things are borrowed from it in DA, but DA is really just another repackaging of KOTOR, just like Mass Effect. Everything is the same except the flavor.

Fume on. It won't make no difference.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Dragon Age:Origins had a better combatsystem and ran more stable than The Witcher. However, The Witcher trampled and spat over Dragon Age in terms of atmosphere, art direction and soundtrack, even if they shared the same dark "themes".

Dragon Age 2, especially with the latest trailer looks less "grimdarky" than Dragon Age 1 and The Witcher. It looks more like a medieval anime instead. It might be good, but i reserve that opinion for later.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dragon Age:Origins had a better combatsystem

:lol:

The Witcher had a very good combat system, somewhat similar to Blade of Darkness. I hope DA2's combat is more action-oriented like in ME2. because this might force Bio to revamp the level design.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"Noober in Baldurs Gate"

This be funny but I did not exist on the internet when BG was released. In fact, you can blame BG for me posting on the internet.

"The Witcher had a very good combat system,"

Kiddin' right? TW's combat system makes such horrible systems like BL and KOTOR look awesome. That's how crappy it is - along with the rest of the unoriginal piece of garbage TW is.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

What was specifically crappy about TW's combat system ? Kind of hard to implement a swordsman's moves generally, but the stances and the combinations got the job done. Not better than DA's, as that's a different type of combat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What was specifically crappy about TW's combat system ? Kind of hard to implement a swordsman's moves generally, but the stances and the combinations got the job done. Not better than DA's, as that's a different type of combat.

Personally I mourned the lack of tactical choices in The Witcher for the most part. Still, it wasn't as bad as some imply. The fact that they're revamping it for the sequel is a good thing.

Dragon Age on the other hand.. its combat had balance issues and encounter design issues. We have no news about Bioware fixing them as of now.

I'd appreciate if we were given more direct control over the character's actions during combat. I'm getting tired of clicking on the enemy and watching my party swing their weapons.

Walsingham said:

Dragon Age:Origins had a better combatsystem

:o

The Witcher had a very good combat system, somewhat similar to Blade of Darkness. I hope DA2's combat is more action-oriented like in ME2. because this might force Bio to revamp the level design.

Aiieee!... Begone vile person! :blink:

Dragon Age was a mixed experience (imnsho), but the combat mechanics were actually quite decent. I didn't feel the same way about the set encounters and the horrible habit of scripting most encounters making things like sneaking worthless, but thats a different design issue. Now, if they could just improve the horrible corridor shooter mechanics in Mass Effect games to be more like Dragon Age 1 :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'd appreciate if we were given more direct control over the character's actions during combat. I'm getting tired of clicking on the enemy and watching my party swing their weapons once, then standing around like morons.

fixed

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Now, if they could just improve the horrible corridor shooter mechanics in Mass Effect games to be more like Dragon Age 1 :sorcerer:

they'd have to make ME3 turn-based :blink:

Walsingham said:

Regarding PC version, aren't the combat mechanics going to be similar to Origins and it's the console versions that are going through a major revision?

I dug around on the Bioware forum and apparently this is true, which is great news.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/14...064634&lf=8

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/

Combat on the consoles is being streamlined to better utilize the controller interface. Combat on the PC should be largely the same. [GameInformer article]

Except they're nerfing the top down view (it'll still be there, but won't go so far out), which has the potential to change how the PC version plays drastically (depending on how often you used the top down view. Personally I did it every fight).

i would love a turn based mass effect

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.