Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

Shoot em up.

An action movie that kinda makes fun of action movies. The plot is nil, the action starts within 2 minutes and doesn't stop for 90 minutes. Also, two people died by getting stabbed by carrots.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The Final Destination (3D). That was a hella odd movie. Definitely not for the faint or the weak-stomached. 7/10.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I watched The Beyond.

Is it just me or does Lucio Fulci have a bit of an obsession with eye-injuries and throat ripping?

Its a good film if you buy into the total dream logic plotting (which is greater here than typical in Italian Horror Films, IMO).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Howl's Moving Castle. (Eng. dubbed version)

....I don't usually like anime style animation, but it wasn't bizarrely pronounced in this film, if that makes sense. And the movie itself? I liked it a lot. Charming fantasy. A little weird, but still awesome.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

saw the last half of breach tonight. it's the story of robert hanssen, the FBI spy busted in 2001. good acting, and obviously the story followed actual events rather closely so i can't dig it for that. it was a little slow, but more to the story than i had originally known. turns out that eric o'neill, the guy responsible for bringing hanssen down, was a theta xi from auburn. :aiee:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

....I don't usually like anime style animation, but it wasn't bizarrely pronounced in this film, if that makes sense. And the movie itself? I liked it a lot. Charming fantasy. A little weird, but still awesome.

That's because it's Miyazaki. Miyazaki is the anime equivelant of Pixar - there's something for everyone to enjoy.

That's because it's Miyazaki. Miyazaki is the anime equivelant of Pixar - there's something for everyone to enjoy.

Pixar is awesome and all, but they really aren't in the same league as Miyazaki. And John Lasseter agrees with me.

Howl's Moving Castle is not the best Miyazaki movie by a long shot but it's still better than pretty much any animated feature not by Miyazaki from the past 10 years.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think that it is pretty much established that Miyazaki is in his own league when it comes to animation movies.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

My Neighbor Totoro and Princess Mononoke are probably the best ones, and simply essential.

If you're into animation, then you should see all of them and throw in Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies for good measure.

I'll be seeing Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea later today.

Heja Sverige!!

I saw Spirited Away a few years ago and thought it was brilliant. I really should see Mononoke, though.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Pixar is awesome and all, but they really aren't in the same league as Miyazaki. And John Lasseter agrees with me.

Howl's Moving Castle is not the best Miyazaki movie by a long shot but it's still better than pretty much any animated feature not by Miyazaki from the past 10 years.

See, quality is not at all the comparison I tried to make. I meant as in both their animated movies are almost universally well-liked because everyone can find something enjoyable in them. (Although I have to say that yes, while Miyazaki is usually way out of Pixar's league, Pixar has it's moments of triumph. For example, the first segment of Up goes toe to toe with anything Miyazaki has to offer IMO).

I have to admit though, Princess Mononoke is my favourite animated feature of all time.

(Also, I agree with Pidesco, including the part about Grave of the Fireflies. Be warned though, that film has brought many a grown man to outright weeping!)

See, quality is not at all the comparison I tried to make. I meant as in both their animated movies are almost universally well-liked because everyone can find something enjoyable in them. (Although I have to say that yes, while Miyazaki is usually way out of Pixar's league, Pixar has it's moments of triumph. For example, the first segment of Up goes toe to toe with anything Miyazaki has to offer IMO).

I have to admit though, Princess Mononoke is my favourite animated feature of all time.

(Also, I agree with Pidesco, including the part about Grave of the Fireflies. Be warned though, that film has brought many a grown man to outright weeping!)

I definitely agree about Up. The introductory segment about Carl's life was quite simply magical. Up is just a bit disappointing after it turns into action adventure mode. A similar thing happened with Wall-e. Anyway, Pixar's animation skills are nothing short of awesome. The bird in Up, for example, was incredible.

I am not ashamed to say that Grave of the Fireflies had me crying like a little girl.

Heja Sverige!!

Changeling (2008) - Good flick

As far as Miyazaki is concerned, never heard of him or seen as films. Whats a good one to start with?

First, "My neighbour Totoro", then "Princess Mononoke". And as always, always, always watch it in the original dub(japansese). The english ones are usually "ok", but that's about it. Watching a movie in its original language, with subtitles of course, should be mandatory. After those two movies, you will automatically and franticly watch every Miyazaki movie that there is.

Honerable mentions include: Nausic

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No love for Spirited Away? Another genius piece of work, definately up there with Totoro and Mononoke.

I definitely agree about Up. The introductory segment about Carl's life was quite simply magical. Up is just a bit disappointing after it turns into action adventure mode. A similar thing happened with Wall-e.

Yeah I agree. The first part of Wall-E is incredible, but after they get on the ship and the humans get introduced it goes a little downhill and gets a little heavy handed. Maybe I just prefer the artsy parts.

Personally I think Spirited Away is better than Princess Mononoke.

And Porco Rosso I'd personally rank ahead of Mononoke as well.

I have (but haven't watched yet) Totoro, but I'm guessing it'll leap frog pretty high in the list of my enjoyment of Miyazaki films.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

No love for Spirited Away? Another genius piece of work, definately up there with Totoro and Mononoke.

I definitely agree about Up. The introductory segment about Carl's life was quite simply magical. Up is just a bit disappointing after it turns into action adventure mode. A similar thing happened with Wall-e.

Yeah I agree. The first part of Wall-E is incredible, but after they get on the ship and the humans get introduced it goes a little downhill and gets a little heavy handed. Maybe I just prefer the artsy parts.

Spirit Away is good, but i wouldn't consider that as the first Miyazaki movie to see for those that are used to Disney and Pixar :( Simply too much is happening in every frame for the viewer to keep up, IMO.

While i do not cry, Totoro gave that lump in your throat due to its beauty and brilliance. It is simply a movie that celebrates everything that's good with childhood. Grave of the Fireflies give you that very same lump for different reasons which would be spoilerific.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Inglorious Basterds

Simply a fantastic movie. Mentioning why would be considered as spoilerific from my part, other than Christoph Waltz deserves an Oscar for his performance.

Watch it, enjoy it.

Great movie.

Brad Pitt was hilarious.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

I cried too when I saw Grave of Fireflies. I don

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Just watched a Spanish horror movie called [Rec] (an american remake was released though I hear it's crap).

I'd really like to recommend this one, best film I've seen in quite a while. It's a "zombie" film, and it's filmed in shaky cam style. I'm normally not a fan of that, but they really handled it well here. One or two scenes really scared the crap out of me.

Very, very good stuff.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0