Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

You Only Live Twice....which has to be one of the worst yet funniest Bond movies ever. Who was the decision-maker who thought it was even remotely believable to pass Sean Connery off as Japanese? :lol:

It's from the book, and it works unlike the film. Hard to hide a 6' 3" "brit" in a Japanese fishing village. The first film in the series to through out the Fleming story and it's not an improvement.

Oh, that's what he was supposed to be! I spent quite a bit of that movie wondering why Sean Connery was undercover as Spock!

lmao...that's almost exactly what I said to hubby whilst watching. :lol:

@Kelverin - yeah, I can see it working in a book/novel just fine, where a chr. is written for a role or you don't have visual info to get in the way of suspension of disbelief.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I picked up the miniseries version of Terry Pratchett's "The Colour of Magic" for 3 bucks. So pretty sure I'll get my money's worth. :/ Just don't know if it'll be any good.

Its good, but not as good as the Hogfather. Sean Astin does a fan nod and orders "po-tay-toes" in a tavern.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. I had very low expectations going into this movie but My God I think my IQ went down after seeing this. :)

Can anyone else understand what he's saying? All I read is a series of grunts and wuffling sounds.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

GI JOE: RISE OF COBRA is a stupid film, but not necessarily an unentertaining stupid film

Which segways nicely into that I saw The Final Destination 3D over the weekend. An awful horror film, a bad film in general and yet an entertainingly over-the-top ghoulish comedy.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^Did you actually see it in its full 3D glory?

Yup. 3D use was okay, ranging from a couple of really good sequences

some of the race footage when the tire blows was awesome

and some good use of depth of field. Some of the gory bits really worked as well.

There were some other cliche "things poking out at the audience" typical 3D stuff and some things were I think let down a bit in the editing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Into The Wild

Great. Perhaps the best travel movie I've seen. Sean Penn really turned into an accomplished director.

Also, I really enjoyed Jena Malone as the narrator.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Conspiracy with Val Kilmer.

I think this review on IMDB summed it up perfectly. I only wished I had read this before spending the time and bandwidth on this monstrosity. :wacko:

This movie sucked. I mean... wow. I surely didn't expect a masterpiece. But the actual level of suckitude left me speechless and almost breathless, as if my body was trying to rescue itself into sweet unconsciousness. It reminded me, and heavily at that, of Steven Seagal. But not the Seagal of "Under Siege" or "On Deadly Ground", who we all came to love. No, I mean the Steven Seagal who brought us straight-to-video suckfests like "Black Dawn".

Val Kilmer, like Seagal, is just a blimp, floating through the foggy remains of a story, while it rains wooden puppets. Who of course are the other actors in my weird little analogy.

Every little thing in this movie is bad and sucks in ways where there are no more words to articulate a warning. So let me just say this: DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE! Thank you for your attention.

Race to Witch Mountain.

As someone who grew up w/the cheesy original Disney films (and who liked them, because, hey, I was a kid) I wasn't expecting a lot from this one. And I was mostly right. "The Rock," however, saved the movie from being too boring with his odd charisma and delivery of sarcastic wit. I also liked the cameo's of the original films kids.

Despite the cheesiness of the originals, they were still better films than this re-boot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...went ta see Rob Zombie's Hallowe'en 2 last night...now I luvs me slasher flicks, an' the Hallowe'en series be almost sacred ground fer the genre, but what a repulsive pile o' shyte this was...Rob Zombie took the original slasher film boogeyman an' turned 'im inta a nutbar mama's boy...sad indeed... :down:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

granma's boy

it had it's moments, but not as funny as i'd been told

it's getting kinda old seeing the same old "parents accidentally ingest marijuana - hilarity ensues"

it seems to occurring in more and more movies

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

****! I just rented a movie called Tunnel Rats about the Vietnam war heroes who would go down tunnels to flush out the enemy with nothing but a Colt .45 and a huge pair of brass balls. Then I realize that it was made by none other than Uwe ****ing Boll. I had no idea he had branched out to war movies. Should I even bother to watch this steaming pile in hopes of unintended comedy? :down:

This makes me so mad! I keep hoping this director will go out of business and here I go and support him... on accident! ARG!

You probably should periodically print out his IMDB page just to make sure what to avoid.

I ended up returning it without watching it. I'd call a huge breakthrough for Boll getting a rating of over a 5 on IMDB. I wouldn't be surprised if some people just vote his movies down without seeing them, but after watching Dungeon Siege I'm sure he deserves every negative rating he gets. Is he some sort of private eye on the side with dirty photos of every actor in Hollywood for bribery? How does he keep nabbing big name stars? I think Boll is the only remaining mystery on Earth. :(

i think you'll note that the big names he gets are always past big names, not really headliners any longer. sure, some of them have resurgences after boll flicks, but not because of boll flicks.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I'm just watching the 1962 version of Carnival of Souls. On the surface it's Mystery Science Theatre fodder with clunky actors, strange dubbing, and cooky plot. Deeper it's actually pretty good, with some neatly executed Lynch-esque weirdness and imagery.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

District 9.

Fantastic film; 9/10; Could have been slightly longer. Plenty of action, and an intense well communicated backdrop of racial tension.

-Elwood Blues

Inglorious Basterds

Simply a fantastic movie. Mentioning why would be considered as spoilerific from my part, other than Christoph Waltz deserves an Oscar for his performance.

Watch it, enjoy it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy