Movies you have seen recently

Gorth

In order to accommodate their fable's morality, the authors have glided over some of the more awkward technological issues using "future magic" technology like that for the "regenerative food buffet". Maybe you might feel better if you pretend that in seven hundred years' time man will be able to sculpt matter from refuse materials (say transmute lead into gold and water into wine, for example).

As well as being a love story, it is a morality tale, or fable, like Aesop used to tell, using "future animals": robots. The captain (who represents "authority" or our human government) demonstrates contrition and a comendable desire to clean up the mess and re-green the planet, showing a responsible nature. The film is shorthand for "humanity is banished from paradise, learns its lesson and returns to behave correctly," ergo they may return to the planet and all live happily ever after.

But see these are the two problems I have: one is that they can't be sculpting matter from refuse because the Wall-R's are dumping the refuse into space (leaving a trail behind the ship) which brings up problem two, namely that humanity doesn't learn its lesson - they're still polluting space! And if the captain is any indication they've forgotten that they even had a past to learn from, much less actually learned a lesson.

well, it's a cruise ship right? The original voyage was only supposed to last several weeks/months while the Earth was cleaned up. The amount of waste dumped into space would be comparatively small.

Actually it's still comparatively small given that space itself is huge.

/Douglas Adams.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

In order to accommodate their fable's morality, the authors have glided over some of the more awkward technological issues using "future magic" technology like that for the "regenerative food buffet". Maybe you might feel better if you pretend that in seven hundred years' time man will be able to sculpt matter from refuse materials (say transmute lead into gold and water into wine, for example).

As well as being a love story, it is a morality tale, or fable, like Aesop used to tell, using "future animals": robots. The captain (who represents "authority" or our human government) demonstrates contrition and a comendable desire to clean up the mess and re-green the planet, showing a responsible nature. The film is shorthand for "humanity is banished from paradise, learns its lesson and returns to behave correctly," ergo they may return to the planet and all live happily ever after.

But see these are the two problems I have: one is that they can't be sculpting matter from refuse because the Wall-R's are dumping the refuse into space (leaving a trail behind the ship) which brings up problem two, namely that humanity doesn't learn its lesson - they're still polluting space! And if the captain is any indication they've forgotten that they even had a past to learn from, much less actually learned a lesson.

well, it's a cruise ship right? The original voyage was only supposed to last several weeks/months while the Earth was cleaned up. The amount of waste dumped into space would be comparatively small.

/Douglas Adams.

Actually, the original voyage was supposed to last five years. The Axiom was the luxuary liner of all the Buy N Large cruise ships ("spend your five year cruise in luxury being waited on hand and foot by our fully automated staff"...-- or words to that effect).

But, you are right, they haven't learned a thing! They are still polluting space by dumping their garbage, even if it is a realitively small amount given that space is so huge! ;)

The future has not been written...

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves...

I wish that I could believe that...

I should feel safe, but I don't...

...So I live off the grid-- No phone, no address... No one and nothing can find me...

I've erased all connections to the past...

But as hard as I try, I can't erase my dreams... my nightmares...

I feel the weight of the future bearing down on me... a future I don't want...

So I keep running as fast as I can...

Anywhere... Nowhere...

I have to watch something called the baader meinhof complex for one of my art classes.

Has anybody seen it? Is it worth spending the time watching?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

/Douglas Adams.

Actually, the original voyage was supposed to last five years. The Axiom was the luxuary liner of all the Buy N Large cruise ships ("spend your five year cruise in luxury being waited on hand and foot by our fully automated staff"...-- or words to that effect).

But, you are right, they haven't learned a thing! They are still polluting space by dumping their garbage, even if it is a realitively small amount given that space is so huge! :lol:

Oops, my bad. I forgot the "five-year" part. Okay, well how much can one expect the human race to change in five years, particularly the small sample size who were picked to leave the earth? What gets me about it all is why the second or even third generation didn't realize something was very very wrong and do something about it then. Ah well they wey were being both pampered and inundated with Buy N Large brand consumerism the whole time, I guess.

Anyway, since the robots were taking care of everything the entire time, after 700+ years the humans didn't even realize they were doing anything wrong, and were barely capable of doing anything at all.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

The wierd bit about Wall-E's ship for me is that they originally planned for 5 years...

Then how the bloody heck did they have enough supplies to survive for as long as they needed to pop out those 7 generations?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

As to the supplies, well, I'm guessing there were massive gardens/farms/whatever, on the unseen decks of the ship. Of course, at the end, the humans drank 'milkshakes' that tasted like whatever they wished, and it's implied that milkshakes are all they ingested. Maybe it was a soylent green kind of thing?

I have to watch something called the baader meinhof complex for one of my art classes.

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. RAF is fascinating for a myriad of reasons. It's sort of the idealist's slow journey into radicalism and terrorism. I dunno what use it has in an art class, maybe for depicting a period of American cultural invasion, consumerism and 'hippiedom' both.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Every movie should have Keanu Reeves in it, thereby removing acting from movies and leaving action, which is what movies should consist of.

you haven't seen movies without action until you've seen Shoot em up, or the transporter series. Or Cranked.

Ah...the Transporter series. You know you have B-movies? Well this is like a C-movie. A C-movie package that's specially terrible, and terribly special at the same time. It's like that ugly chick that your diss in front of your friends to be Fonzie cool, but secretly take back to your room for your viewing pleasure. You're ashamed to admit it, because even though she's BUTT UGLY and looks like a transvestite (don't worry she's not...I, um, checked), there's still this UNDEFINABLE SEXY quality about the way she flaunts herself. Think Lady Gaga.

That's what Transporter is to me. :x --> :wowey: --> :) --> :* --> :woot: --> -_-

manthing2.jpg

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to. RAF is fascinating for a myriad of reasons. It's sort of the idealist's slow journey into radicalism and terrorism. I dunno what use it has in an art class, maybe for depicting a period of American cultural invasion, consumerism and 'hippiedom' both.

I'd rather not spend time watching a film for an art class either, but its an experiemental drawing class. Mostly it is based around drawing from and in response to the human figure but sometimes the instructor likes us to draw in response to other things. In this case he wants us to see the movie then draw a response(s).

Personally, I'd rather draw a response to Aliens, but eh, I freely admit my taste in movies is not very sophisticated.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Aliens may not be fine art but its got a ton of quotable lines!

That makes it all good right there.

The 1st Transporter was decent action-flick entertainment. Ridiculous of course, but entertaining. Liked the police chief guy too. The 2nd not as good...the rest I ignored.

I haven't watched any movies recently. Mostly catching the season premieres of TV series I like, this week.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Currently watching Evil Dead 2 for the first time. I started with that one because I heard number one disappoints a lot of people who only know it through it's status as cult champion.

I think that's a bad choice, you really need to watch the first one and then the second to get a glimpse into how Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell grow in their abilities. Then you watch Army of Darkness as the culmination of their growth. It's like a coming of age movie hidden in three films.

At least make sure you read Bruce Campbell's first book.

I dunno, I thougth Army of Darkness was a bit too standard fantasy fare in places. My favorite is Evil Dead 2, since it's basically #1 made with a bigger budget. If you haven't spent time going through 1980s and 1990s splatter and horror section at your local video store it's status as a classic probably doesn't make a lot of sense.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm agreeing with Gorgon on this subject. I'd rate 2 the best (its even better with the dvd commentary), followed by the first, with AOD last.

I watched Superman/Batman:Public Enemies. Great voice acting, notsomuch with the animation.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.