Movies you have seen recently

SteveThaiBinh

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Depressing as all hell.

Heard it was a Forest Gump rip-off. True?

The same guy wrote both screen plays

Not in any way.

Now that you mention it, the narrative style is the same, but the story is dramatically different. Gump is heartwarming, Buttons is heartrending.

Got this from another site, just wanted to see how accurate it was.

"Not as lampooned directly as GUMP was, but BUTTON is narrated in similar fashion as to the key moments of Button's life. Add to this the fact that Button is in love with a girl from his childhood who grows to **** on him but then ultimately love him (giving him a child) -- like "Jenny" in GUMP --- AND --- that both Button and Gump encounter the fortunate events that enable them both to be millionaires. Button also has a less than memorable tag line. Gump's was "life is like a box of chocolates" while Button's is something more generic (but so silly I forget the actual line). Both Gump and Button are "innocent" in their approach to life, never letting anything get them down and everything is a first time experience for them. Both Gump and Button had remarkedly insightful mothers who were anchors for both characters until their deaths act as spring boards to new heights for both characters. Finally, Gump's tale is littered with memorable larger-than-life characters like Bubba and Lt Dan - so to is Buttons - like the tattooed Captain of the tug boat and Button's mother's boyfriend (who recites Shakespear)."

Sorry to hear about grammy Hurlshot.

Got to see a bunch of movies over the holiday:

TDK: Meh, it was alright. The Joker stole the show but it could have been shorter and I was getting tired of Batman's 5-pack-a-day smokers voice. Too bad they

killed Dent

, he was one of the most interesting characters IMO.

Hellboy II: Oh how they bent over one of my beloved movies. I loved Hellboy, could watch it over and over. This one? Not so much. I cant put my finger on what I didnt like but all the charm of the first installment was gone for me in this one. Way too campy or something. Oh, and creature from the black lagoon guy falling in love with the elven princess in like .004 seconds? What? Stupid.

Tropic Thunder: Rented the "directors cut" and I think that was a mistake. Solid movie with some truly hilarious stuff (seeing him run out of the village at the end with the kid on his back stabbing him had me rolling) but overall a little to long.

The Happening: Just when I thought M. Night Shamalamadingdong couldnt go any lower then The Village, he drops this turd. Dont bother.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon always has problems in love, just like King Kong.

I heard Benjamin Buttons is based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald story, and that fits. The setting and tone are there, along with the fact that all wealthy and successful people suffer from depression.

Not to say Kelverin's post isn't somewhat accurate, but it really just has an entirely different tone to it. Buttons is also a flawed character, unlike Gump. They are both fantastic films to say the least.

War of the Worlds the newer version. Ok but it doesn't rate up the with the original version.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

TDK: Meh, it was alright. The Joker stole the show but it could have been shorter and I was getting tired of Batman's 5-pack-a-day smokers voice. Too bad they

killed Dent

you're right, his voice was waaaay over-acted. drove me nuts. did they really kill that guy, or is there an expectation for that character to appear in the future? i'm not up on current comic trivia so i don't know how it all plays out. personally, i hated the way they ended it, at least, the "twist" that could have easily been explained in a thousand other, much more obvious, ways than it was. of course, comics are about on the same level as soap operas in terms of the intelligence that goes into their stories (you really have to try hard to suspend your disbelief) so i can't complain.

i enjoyed the movie, however. we rented it last night, btw. i won't be getting it on blu-ray. saving to get the matrix trilogy, hehe (well, it's only $64 through amazon). :)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Next - Decent flick, did not care for the way it ended. Jessica Biel's ass gets a solid 10 from me.

i was split 50-50 on the ending... on one hand it left the movie sort of hanging, on the other i could see a cool sequel that started with the ending of the first (like a 10-minute deal) followed by a new story that could be pretty gripping if done right. unfortunately, chricton wrote the original book... :)

jessica has the best ass in the business. mmmm...

taks

killed Dent

you're right, his voice was waaaay over-acted. drove me nuts. did they really kill that guy, or is there an expectation for that character to appear in the future? i'm not up on current comic trivia so i don't know how it all plays out. personally, i hated the way they ended it, at least, the "twist" that could have easily been explained in a thousand other, much more obvious, ways than it was. of course, comics are about on the same level as soap operas in terms of the intelligence that goes into their stories (you really have to try hard to suspend your disbelief) so i can't complain.

i enjoyed the movie, however. we rented it last night, btw. i won't be getting it on blu-ray. saving to get the matrix trilogy, hehe (well, it's only $64 through amazon). :)

taks

I just watched Batman begins, and you can tell he is really trying hard and failing to adopt a sufficiently coarse and cool voice, it just sounds silly. It sortof makes sense that Batman would use a voice modulator, in any case it's bad, but an improvement none the less.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Buttons is also a flawed character, unlike Gump.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but Gump seemed flawed to me, he was not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Gump was a saint, despite being a simpleton. His intentions were always good. He saw only the positive. He was capable of amazing feats.

Buttons has a strong sense of right and wrong, and like Gump he is good natured, but he's also a playboy and he commits a few acts that are clearly wrong. He's a much more complex character.

Dark Knight - except for Ledger's riveting performance, I thought it was rather "meh." Not bad or anything, just "meh."

Of the two, I liked Batman Begins a lot more.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watched A.I. What an underrated movie. The movie is is a fine example of a 'dark movie' that doesn't involve lots of action. And, what bittersweet ending. Great acting by all espciially the young actor.

I also have started watching Xena season 5. ;)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not a movie but I watched the season ender of Nip/Tuck again to refresh my memory.

New season's 1st episode tonight...yay.

The show has gone from over-the-top soap drama to way way way beyond that, but for some reason I still love to watch it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ghost image

it was on TMC or showtime last night, er, this morning. interesting flick though a bit flawed. elizabeth rohm (law and order blonde) played the main character and she did a fairly good job overall, but a few scenes seemed over done. a common problem with this film, as other films, are the glaring plot devices/holes that drive me nuts. she gets attacked while her camera is on, and they make a point of showing the attack on the video screen, but when questioned by the police chick nobody bothers to check the obvious camera sitting on the table and they act as if she's lying. later on, at the end of the movie, they do use the same camera to bust the evil bad person. um... there are some other silly law issues that bugged me of a similar nature, too. the "twist" that ends the movie is a bit retarded as well, and one of the major plot lines through the whole movie (the one that sets her mental state) is left unresolved.

anywho...

the real reason i mention this so-so flick is that it was filmed entirely in st. louis, directed by a native of st. louis (jack snyder). they really put the city in a good light showing a lot of beautiful downtown areas. the bars they used in the movie are real locations, too, one of which burned down this year (apparently being remodeled). it was sort of cool seeing my hometown on the tube since movies are rarely set there (white palace with susan sarandon and david spader was another).

taks

Australia.

Nice enough movie. Part drama, part humour, a little bit of action, all good.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Wrestler. Mickey Rourke is perfectly cast as a down and out washed up wrestler. Pierced nipples and all Marissa Tomei is still smoking hawt at 44. She's up there with Rene Russo in the Thomas Crown Affair level. Raawwwrrrrrrrr.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I think Extras is much better than The Office.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Namedropping: I mentioned I spent boxing day with Steven Merchant? :lol:

One of a client's employees nearly reduced to tears today when she was informed she had failed to grasp properly the nature of an analytical technique I invented and have been teaching to them. She's been trying to get it now for over three months. Any possible sympathy erased when she was guardedly anti-semitic about ten minutes later.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I believe you've confused this thread with another Wals. :)

I too have done the same. :'(

Btw did you strike her? Someone should have.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Return of the King. Now I have seen all three movies on my wide screen tv.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I'm watching The Day After Tomorrow. It's hilariously atrocious, from the plot, to the science, to the dialogs. It's a comedy.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Marley & Me. Watched it because it was a dog movie...and I love dogs...but now I regret it, because it has effectively shown what will happen to my dog in the near-future, :(

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.