Movies you have seen recently

SteveThaiBinh

Managed to sit down and watch Iron Man yesterday.

Pros and cons:

+Armor looked very cool.

-Although it felt too high-tech at times (just how many layers does it really need in order to be assembled?).

+I read somewhere a good portion of the dialogues were left to the cast to develop. If this is true, they did a good job. Downey Jr. seems to be back in shape again, which is always a plus. Jeff Bridges was cool, too.

-Aside from the main characters, all others were pretty passable.

+Fight scenes between Stark and Stane really had that comic book feel, even moreso than some recent Marvel flicks (although I've yet to see the Hulk sequel).

-Fight scenes between Stark and Stane was pretty much the only highlight of the movie in terms of clobbering time.

+The Iron Man origin is pretty faithful (to the one I know of at least which occured during Vietnam), and stands to show you don't need to change things a whole lot in order to make an impact on the audience. The story arc with Stane was one of the pivotal aspects of character development during Iron Man's character evolution, and it's nice seeing it here (even if it's not exactly the same, it does the job well).

-Story was competent but kinda moved way too fast. It's not meant to be a comic book with lots of issues setting up the story and characters, but it's a bit disappointing seeing Stane go from power hungry company man to giant exoskeleton expert. Also, Rhodes seemed to embrace Stark's antics too quickly for my tastes.

I liked how it had an "Armor War" vibe to it, which was a recurring theme of certain Iron Man stories - basically, Stark found out how the technology of his armor was stolen and duplicated by certain groups and agencies, from goverment to super-powered villains. In the movie, this translates into him facing the danger of his own creations right at the start (

notice the loose Stark Industries rocket that detonates near him and forces him to create the miniwatchamacallit to keep the shrapnel away from his heart

). I always thought Stane would start selling the armor tech to terrorists and Stark would confront him on that, but then again, that might have been pushing it for a first movie and besides, selling Stark Industries tech to terrorists is already featured, so it's no big deal.

Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel. There's lots of ground to cover, from his years of alcohol abuse to War Machine (which the movie seems to hint at as well with Rhodes). Also, SHIELD.

Anyone seen ''Get Smart''?

Yeah, we saw that not too long ago.

It has a few almost-belly laughs, and is overall a cute movie, but it's not as funny as one might hope. But it's silly-entertaining.

Yeah it was amusing; I enjoyed it but haven't really felt like seeing it again either

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

i liked iron man enough to get the blu-ray version. got transformers, too, but that was more for my son since he seems to like the movie. heck, we got a dozen or so movies for xmas this year due to some gift cards and stuff from amazon/barnes and noble.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Today I watched "Deliverance" while wrapping presents for two hours. It wasn't the most festive movie, but I had never seen it before. Definitely an interesting flick. They did seem to make a lot of bad decisions though.

After Burt killed the one guy, they should have just taken off and left the body where it was. They probably would have gotten out of there before the redneck's buddie could get in position, and it would have been pretty easy to explain to the police.

I've seen BenX yesterday. :thumbsup::p:thumbsup: and sad. It was innovative and funny how they used these little MMORPG elements to describe situations. It was depressing to see these **** of school-"colleagues" mobbing the protagonist to death, it reminded me of school.

As a completely irrelevant sidenote: Flemish is a funny language.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WmAIxkAc2k...feature=related

T4 might actually turn out to be a good film

Mechs, there's mechs. I like it already. I just hope they don't get ludicrously tangled up with the space-time continuum, that was always a weak point of the cannon.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

LotR The Two Towers. It looks so much better on a large wide screen tv.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

This Is England

The film centers around a 12 year old English boy whose father had died in the Falkland Wars and is also bullied at school. On his way home from school he finds friendship with a group of skinheads* and for a time his life is great. That is until the "leader" of the gang is released from prison and he tries to shed his nationalist agenda upon them. It causes a rift throughout the group but the 12 year old decides to stay leaving behind the person who really took him in.

As a whole the movie was pretty good. The music was great, the acting, characters, and premise were above competent and I don't really have any complaints besides a 12 year old making out with like a 15-16 year old even if she was a bit of a harlot. The ending I was pleased with becuase I hate when movies kill off good folk and they didn't this time.

I shall give This Is England 9 guys who carry machetes in their back pockets and who own a leather vest can never be trusted under any circumstances out of 10.

*This is probably much better understood in the UK which why they kind of glossed right over it but in America skinheads are synonymous with nazis but really true skinheads (as well as in the movie) are the result of punk, reggae, and ska music and they aren't nazi scum. Well that's how it used to be anyway. Nowadays you can't really tell.

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

broken

heather graham and jeremy sisto as a couple of heroin addicts. very strange, though i missed the first half hour so i might have missed some crucial plot elements. the movie jumps back and forth in time (flashbacks) a bunch and at the end i wasn't sure if it was flashbacks, or just possible scenarios playing out for heather's character.

bender's game

the newest futurama movie. hilarious. it has a D&D mixed with LoTR theme, btw. best of the 3 movies released this year, IMO. only one more to go. hopefully comedy central gets the contract renewed for new episodes.

horton hears a who

the CG one with jim carrey as horton. it was pretty funny, worth watching. of course, we got it for john and he refused to watch it (playing his new DS game). my son is a pill.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The Dark Knight - Even better the second time around.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The Spirit- Memorable only for the line "I'm gonna kill you all sorts of dead" and

the epic frag 'nade/nuke thing at the end

The Day the Earth Stood Still- Pretty good. They made a good choice in picking Keanu Reeves for a role that required that absolutely no emotion be shown. :lol: Fell apart at the end though.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Depressing as all hell. Actually, it was really just a poor choice for me. My grandmother passed away last night. It was expected, she had been close for awhile, but the movie really is all about getting old and dying, and it was very hard to watch in certain parts. On one hand I can say it was a great movie, and on another I can say it was the most depressing movie I have ever seen.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Depressing as all hell.

Heard it was a Forest Gump rip-off. True?

The same guy wrote both screen plays

Not in any way.

Now that you mention it, the narrative style is the same, but the story is dramatically different. Gump is heartwarming, Buttons is heartrending.