Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

Someone else's (game nerd math) speculation:

If the Light no Fire planet is truely earth sized, that implies a diameter 80x the largest planet in NMS (if you calculated NMS planets with the same math) and a surface area of 6,400 times larger. With a surface area of ~197 Million sq Miles a million players would still have 197 sq miles to explore each.

...I'm a little dubious that LNF's "Earth" will truly be of that size ratio, but if that's the scale they're trying for, or even close to it, 80x the largest NMS planet would definitely be .... huge. :o  Heck even 25x NMS largest....the problem, on those scales, is trying to fill it all with something interesting or somehow intriguing. Those super simple POI copy pasta would not cut it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I heard there was a new Kojima game upcoming. Some kind of horror where  “It is a game, don’t get me wrong, but it’s at the same time a movie and at the same time a new form of media.”
"..."

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Kojima gon Kojima.

I'm not even going to attempt to speculate on whatever the **** that was.:shrugz:

I have to admit, as a casual observer with no stake in this, I am curious to see how deep the madness takes him now that there's (seemingly) no one left to tell him no.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Boy was that GTA VI trailer sh*t! Half the trailer it's women shaking their oversized butts...isn't that something from 10 years ago?! 

...and @Lexx is right, the combat is BOUND to be crap. These folks could never get the gunplay/gunsound right in any of the GTA games. 

• Like 4
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Couple things from Game Awards trailer roundup that caught my attention:

Arcane is working on Blade game. Hopefully it will turn out better than their last Vampire game. I could be hopeful about this one: I don't know much about the IP, but I can imagine it being used to build a more traditional Arcane immersive sim experience with wider appeal due to Marvel. At the same time, I am very, very weary of Arcane at the moment after what I see as two major misfires.

No Rest for the Wicked - a grim dark town down fantasy action (hack&slash?) from the folks who did Ori. I dig the art of the trailer a lot.

Prince of Persia - I still quite like the look of this one. This trialer seems to suggest some Dark Souls influences? Not really something I want in POP game. Not that I don't enjoy a good 2d DS Metroidvania, but why can't we just stay true to the roots of the IP?

• Thanks 1

Re: Blade (Arkane)

In some ways, this is even more of a departure for Arkane than Redfall was. 3rd person, Martial Arts, likely also pretty cinematic action... (anything cinematic being the counter thesis to Immersive Simisms, which tries to create a Virtual Reality Space, not a Cinematic Game Space). Plus, it still clearly looks like a project that had never happened had Arkane's money men not been so unsure after the performance of Prey and Dishonored 2.

But with Dana Nightingale in a key position, could turn out to be interesting. She's the (co-) founder of the Looking Glass community at ttlg.com, former Thief fan mission designer extraordinaire and now arguably best level designer in the entire business wholesale. 

Re: Exodus (Archetype)

Imagine Baldur's Gate's lead designer leaving Bioware-- only to form a new studio doing what appears pretty much the exact same thing Bioware's been doing since. And inevitably also directly competing with it to boot...

Despite BG hardly being a super hardcore RPG to begin with, there's been conflict at Bioware even way back, of course. About whether D&D and D&D-like systems would be too complex for a mass audience. Whether any kind of form of tactical combat would be too crunchy. Where table-top-style storytelling would still fit into this. After all, DA Origins was initially pitched as a "back to the roots" project... barely half a decade after the first copies of BG1 had been sold FFS. But yeah. Still, this this looks like Mass Effect 2.0 so far.

Swen Vincke likes this.

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sven_ said:

Re: Blade (Arkane)

In some ways, this is even more of a departure for Arkane than Redfall was. 3rd person, Martial Arts, likely also pretty cinematic action... (anything cinematic being the counter thesis to Immersive Simisms, which tries to create a Virtual Reality Space, not a Cinematic Game Space). Plus, it still clearly looks like a project that had never happened had Arkane's money men not been so unsure after the performance of Prey and Dishonored 2.

A yes, I did miss the trailer commentary (didnt' watch the actual show). Does sound un-Arcaney.

Re: that Kojima teaser - I did see one comment that said the sentences they are repeating comes from an ophthalmologist (vision) test of some kind. I have no idea what such a test is testing for, but that was interesting. The reflections in the eyeballs are probably hints too. Not that any of it gives any clue to the actual gameplay.

Gotta hand it to him tho - it is on the one hand an utterly terrible teaser/trailer for a game. But on the other hand it is memorable/makes you (well, me) go "wha?" where I'd at least like to see a longer trailer. Heh.

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

But on the other hand it is memorable/makes you (well, me) go "wha?" where I'd at least like to see a longer trailer. Heh.

I feel like that only applies because it's Kojima and he has a built-in cult following. If some random developer put... Whatever that was out we'd look at it weird then forget about it 20 minutes later.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 12/8/2023 at 10:32 PM, Katphood said:

Boy was that GTA VI trailer sh*t! Half the trailer it's women shaking their oversized butts...isn't that something from 10 years ago?! 

...and @Lexx is right, the combat is BOUND to be crap. These folks could never get the gunplay/gunsound right in any of the GTA games. 

:grin:  its just an early video and it highlights some of the  themes but the twerking is just  a small  part  of the game like stripclubs ( saying all that I do hope for a Megan Thee Stallion cameo  appearance )

Here is another example of an early GTAV    trailer,  its more about broad concepts.  If you played GTAV you will  see that only one main character is in this video and this trailer had very little  to do  with  the actual game 

Here  are the views from a former Rockstar animator who worked on GTAV  about this latest trailer. Its very positive but its more about the  animations and graphics and how brilliant they look

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think I know less about OD than before I saw the teaser but that only increases the appeal for me.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 12/8/2023 at 12:32 PM, Katphood said:

Have you been on social media? Have you been to Miami? I am pretty sure it is mostly just butt shaking.

GTA has always been a parody of American excess, so I'd say they nailed the feel of Florida in that trailer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, majestic said:

Udo Kier

Thanks. I knew that I knew his face but I didn't know his name to look him up. Bears a bit of resemblance to older Armand Assante.

Blade ... that's probably what I was thinking of. Not sure if I've seen any of his other bigger roles, although I'm sure I've seen him in other small roles here and there.

28 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Blade ... that's probably what I was thinking of. Not sure if I've seen any of his other bigger roles, although I'm sure I've seen him in other small roles here and there.

yuri.png

:yes:

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 hours ago, majestic said:

yuri.png

:yes:

His greatest role.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/notes-from-the-tribes-3-rivals-playtest-its-fun-but-is-it-tribes

Well, at least there's a 12v12 mode.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 12/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I heard there was a new Kojima game upcoming. Some kind of horror where  “It is a game, don’t get me wrong, but it’s at the same time a movie and at the same time a new form of media.”
"..."

Udo Kier. One of Lars von Trier's regulars.

Here he is, as "little brother" a spirit born into our realm in the shape of a man sized baby.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I watched that OD trailer again and it dawned on me the names were given in it. Doh. They didn't register as actor names in my brain, just as part of the weird trailer or something.

Par for the cognizance/memory course these days. The other day I shuffled up and down the hallway five times because every time I couldn't recall what I'd walked the hall for and would walk back, then remember, then repeat, until hubby finally asked me what I was doing. lol.