The TV and Streaming Thread: US Writers/Actors Strike Edition

Raithe

Whenever adaptions come up, I always think of Sir Alfred Hitchcock.  Threw out loads of stuff in his adaptions (Young and Innocent, for example, films the subplot of Josephine Tey's A Shilling for Candles not the actual plot of the novel), remade his own film, etc.

Adaptions/Remakes aren't (IMO) the problem, inherently.

I think King's problem with THE SHINING is that its a Kubrick film and not a King story.  I seem to recall reading that he thought the film was good, but it missed what he thought was the point of the book, which is why he thought the TV miniseries was a better adaption of the book.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, Raithe said:

The battles however are lacking, due to the budget issues.

Eh, just pretend that they're Rifles and special forces so aren't really used as assault troops. More handwavey than a semaphore class carried out in sign language when it comes to, say, storming Badajoz or having like six men defend La Haie Sainte (or was it the other one?) at Waterloo, admittedly.

(kind of funny, I hated the out of scale stuff in Rings of Power and Wheel of Time but would give it a pass in Sharpe because I liked the non battle parts of the series a lot more)

I remember seeing The Shining the first time. Jack was great being Jack, even if OTP. Found the kid and the wife acting annoying. And I became really really annoyed with what Kubrick did with the Overlook's cook (he survives Jack - barely - and helps them escape in the novel). Treated him like Freddy-dead-teen-movie fodder, when he was a pretty important character in the book.

I do get why one can look at The Shining film as a classic horror film on its own merits, but it didn't capture much of the book, really, imo.
I didn't like that mini-series all that much either, to be fair, but it try to stay closer to the theme/tone of the novel.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Man, even 10 years ago this would have excited me a fair bit. Now it's just "meh." Especially ... well, Netflix movie?
But it is definitely fantastic to see Axel, Rosewood and Taggart on the screen together again (very end of trailer). That trio was gold.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Man, even 10 years ago this would have excited me a fair bit. Now it's just "meh." Especially ... well, Netflix movie?
But it is definitely fantastic to see Axel, Rosewood and Taggart on the screen together again (very end of trailer). That trio was gold.

Sheesh. Axel F was soooo 80's I just can't it imagine it having any business, showing itself outside of that time period 😖

Edit: Adding the only thing I liked about the original....

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Bodies, Netflix series about what I thought would be a light sci-fi about good ol' time loop but actually was about four cops and their feelings. Still was pretty okay until the finale even if CGI cities looked jarringly fake, finale was not so surprisingly stupid. Like, would it bankrupt their Master Algorithm or something if they consulted a science fiction writer or two on how to resolve time travel paradox shenanigans? :getlost:

I also like how all TV and film dystopias make their "This is where rich people live" districts all pastel and beige and earthy as if they live in a giant IKEA or something. (Though TBH IKEA stores are dystopian and scary, especially in Christmas shopping spree time)

Yu Yu Hakusho, live-action, Netflix, 5 episode series

I guess this is based on a manga, then anime, unseen by me as usual, so from that perspective:

Since it's only about 5 hours, it was easy to breeze through. Characters and any plot arc felt super condensed, no depth there - the first episode was probably the best in that area, then it goes for largely action. It's filmed all right, and the main actors do fine with what they're given. Although there was one side chr. that was really annoying, fortunately he was onscreen very little.

The main reason I kept watching was the action/fight sequences. A decent combo of CGI and practical stunt/wire work or whatever, they were (mostly) entertaining to watch, with a couple standouts (purple-suit chr's solo fight was one). Definitely anime-ish, over the top, including that the fights sometimes go on a little too long. Lead chrs fashion sense a little questionable, haha. I liked it oodles better than that more recent Mortal Kombat movie. A better effort/result than most live adaptions, although again, I'd guess huge fans of the manga/anime will think it's awful, or at least a wish that it wasn't only 5 episodes (8 might've worked better).  :)

Edit: fight sequences: 7/10.  Everything else: 3.5/10

Late Edit: oh, forgot, while I could see more seasons, there is no cliffhanger nonsense - it feels "complete" in plot arc sense, which is good if Netflix doesn't make more, as is their rep these days.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Watched Sweet Home s1 and a bit of s2. Generally not bad, but oh boy is it slow. Jesus, can you speed it up a little bit.

Then I went into My Demon, because why not.. and same. God, it's so slow. Feels like 1 episode is actually 3 episodes.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Sweet Home is one of those in my watchlist for ages. I think I watched one episode and it didn't grab me immediately then never went back.

...there's several newer k-dramas (mostly of the romantic dramedy variety w/actors I'm familiar with) in my list but many of them still have episodes not aired. I don't watch until they're all available. (haven't watched any of 2nd season of Invincible for same reason)
...most of the time I don't finish anything now tho, so also most of the time I rarely begin. 😛
...speaking of slow - I totally forgot about the "physics doesn't exist?" C-drama. I think it's going to be on Netflix before too long, easier to deal with then Viki...I might try it again if it does.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Started Castaway Diva yesterday. Watched first two episodes, will probably continue for a bit more -- but I have a very strong suspicion about how the story will go on.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 4 weeks later...

True Detective S4E1

I LOVED S1, didnt finish S2 and never even started S3, so color me surprised that the S4 started out pretty good to my wife and I. This season seems to be leaning into a supernatural story but theyre only dropping one episode per week so Ill have to see how it pans out.

13 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

True Detective S4E1

I LOVED S1, didnt finish S2 and never even started S3, so color me surprised that the S4 started out pretty good to my wife and I. This season seems to be leaning into a supernatural story but theyre only dropping one episode per week so Ill have to see how it pans out.

S3 was actually pretty good again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched that first part of Rebel Moon and thought it was kinda bad, though. It's like.. if you really have nothing else going on, you can watch it, I guess.

• Like 1

Hazbin Hotel. I really liked the pilot...that released four years ago on YouTube. It was pretty messy, it tried to do too much in too short of a time, the animation was a little janked at parts...but as someone who almost universally hates adult animated TV shows and who doesn't normally give anything they don't immediately like much of a chance, liking it at all was pretty much a miracle. A while back, it was announced that A24 had picked it up to adapt it into a full series, and I got excited for it, and there are now four episodes out, and I watched all four episodes, and...I just kind of hate it, as it pretty much categorically misses every single thing I liked about the pilot and just feels like a flanderized parody. The lesson I have learned here, for the umpteenth time, is to never get excited about anything.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 12/18/2023 at 11:21 PM, LadyCrimson said:

I totally forgot about the "physics doesn't exist?" C-drama. I think it's going to be on Netflix before too long

Well, I wasn't completely incorrect - Three Body is coming to Netflix, but it's not that Chinese version I was watching. It's their own thing "from the creators of Games of Thrones."   I don't know - there were pacing issues with that first half of the C drama, but the visuals were really interesting - the netflix trailer looks more (US) generic.  It might be more easily digestible. And it's expensive - 200million for 8 episode season (don't know it covers "everything" or if more seasons are planned). It might be interesting to compare a bit.