The TV and Streaming Thread: US Writers/Actors Strike Edition

Raithe

I found a YT channel that has all the seasons of Unsolved Mysteries. Nostalgic to see a few episodes. Robert Stack was perfect as a host of such a program. I used to love In Search Of (Nimoy host) too. Maybe I can find those.

Seeing Mr. Stack makes me want to watch Untouchables (old TV series). I haven't seen that in forever, and don't think I ever saw all of it. Might be fun to revisit.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

42 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Seeing Mr. Stack makes me want to watch Untouchables (old TV series). I haven't seen that in forever, and don't think I ever saw all of it. Might be fun to revisit.

I thought there must be an error because I saw Hynden Walch listed as one of the "starring actors", and she's like...right up there with my all-time favorite voice actress for children's cartoons. But no, apparently it was one of a very few live-action roles she has done, and she played Mae Capone. I tried to do a search on YouTube of her and Google images of her playing the part, because I naturally assumed that she would seem absolutely hilarious trying to pass off as Al Capone's wife with how much of a dorky goofball she is, but I didn't see anything.

Unsolved Mysteries & In Search of...: The former is going to be easier than the latter because it's been on streaming services like Prime - no such luck for In Search of..., it has only been released on DVDs.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I thought there must be an error because I saw Hynden Walch listed as one of the "starring actors", and she's like...right up there with my all-time favorite voice actress for children's cartoons.

What? Who?  *looks*
Oh ... that seems to be a 90's remake/new version of the series, not the '59-'63 series. Never saw that. Actually, I didn't know it existed. Not that it's surprising, given the now popular story/history period. Outside of Robert Stack's series all I knew of was that Costner/Connery movie. 😄

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've been watching Loki season 2. I don't know if this season is just way better or my taste has gotten worse but, aside from a few obvious plot related stupidity moments, I've been thoroughly enjoying it. Easily my favorite Disney show yet.

Free games updated 3/4/21

9 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I've been watching Loki season 2. I don't know if this season is just way better or my taste has gotten worse but, aside from a few obvious plot related stupidity moments, I've been thoroughly enjoying it. Easily my favorite Disney show yet.

For me it's on par with season 1.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

What? Who?  *looks*
Oh ... that seems to be a 90's remake/new version of the series, not the '59-'63 series. Never saw that. Actually, I didn't know it existed. Not that it's surprising, given the now popular story/history period. Outside of Robert Stack's series all I knew of was that Costner/Connery movie. 😄

Oops, yeah. Well, the original show was released on DVDs at some point, but that's all I know. :shrugz: :p

25 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Already better than the movie.

Wouldn't take much, but I'm already questioning whether the translation to live-action will prove in any way meaningful/beneficial over just...watching the original animated show. Well, besides the fact that the animated show was made in that awkward early 2000s transition to digital period where there will unfortunately never be a real HD version: the first season in particular looks very rough around the edges. I suppose it's largely for people who aren't already fans of the animated show.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Speaking of old things, I wonder if there by now would be a complete set of The Avengers to be had on Amazon 🤔

(the old British tv show from the 60's, not the Marvel stuff)

Maybe it's time to do a bit of searching...

Edit: After all, I did manage to get my hands on Blake's 7, so you never know

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Speaking of old things, I wonder if there by now would be a complete set of The Avengers to be had on Amazon 🤔

(the old British tv show from the 60's, not the Marvel stuff)

Maybe it's time to do a bit of searching...

Edit: After all, I did manage to get my hands on Blake's 7, so you never know

Could swear I've talked about the state of The Avengers on here before, but seasons 4, 5, and 6 of The Avengers have been released on blu-ray, while the first three seasons are DVD-only (though I think there may be HD streaming options for season 2-3, but not for season 1 which has apparently been lost). The show was sold to the U.S. ABC by the U.K. ABC after season 3, and it seems as though the U.S. ABC took better care of their masters than did the U.K. ABC.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

I know the Avengers from Married... with Children. Al Bundy wanted to see Emma Peel kick really high or something. It's probably been 30 years since I saw that episode so I may not remember it 100%.

E: I looked it up and it was about 29 years ago. Crazy the random stuff I remember vs all the meaningful stuff I forget 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I know the Avengers from Married... with Children. Al Bundy wanted to see Emma Peel kick really high or something. It's probably been 30 years since I saw that episode so I may not remember it 100%.

E: I looked it up and it was about 29 years ago. Crazy the random stuff I remember vs all the meaningful stuff I forget 

To be fair, the Diana Rigg of the 1960's was quite memorable 😇

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The Killer. One of those rare netflix movies where they were not looking to just pad out their catalogue. This movie is what Hitman (2007) should have been.

The only knock I have against it is

Spoiler

the fight scene. I found it unnecessary and not very believable, but in the grand scheme of things not that big of a demerit. 

• Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yellowjackets S2: Could have been Gaslighting, the series, for its effects. Constantly asking myself 'is it just me, or does this make literally no sense?'. After the final episode 100% confident it isn't just me and the 2nd season was just an extreme mess replete with contrivance. It's still pretty entertaining in isolation and far from terrible but the plot (mostly the currentyear one) is... not coherent at all.

Spoiler

I presume Juliette Lewis leaving was not intended, since they do everything but take a sledgehammer to the 4th wall having her say it wasn't meant to be her. You could make an allowance for that throwing a spanner in the works but end of the day it is what it is.

The Boys Generation V

Liked it, at least up until the last few minutes. Much like its parent series it's over the top silliness most of the time laced with just enough deadly serious to stop you laughing at it. The overall effect is very early Peter Jackson (Bad Taste, Braindead/ Deadalive) and I love those. Everyone looks like they're having a great time massively over/ underacting, especially Jensen Ackles in his cameo.

The ending though is NWN2OC

Spoiler

just with Homelander instead of rocks falling. Guess I'll forgive it if we get ~Mask of The Betrayer as S2.

Scavengers Reign (animated series, 12 episodes, US production/English) - HBO/MAX

I'm at at that half-way point. The animation is good, but the style isn't my favorite. Once I got past/used to that:

---it's sci-fi, but also ... has body horror? surreal? moments. Not scary, just creepy, like someone had a bunch of creatively useful nightmares as a kid.
---There's a plot re: (separated) stranded survivors on alien world trying to survive and eventually reach possible escape. I think the show's true focus is more on visual world building, strange as it is. A lot of ecosystem detail, some usual humans vs. points, perhaps.
--- if you like surreal/dark sci-fi, with imaginative imagery/world building, might be worth a gander.

Finished Scavengers Reign.

I found the ending/last episode a bit lacking in terms of resolution, or maybe a little rushed or something. And while there were brief ending epilogues re: chrs, with no super duper cliffhanger type stuff, it still screamed "2nd season".  For me the first half or so of the series was slightly better than the second half. That said, I liked it a fair bit overall. Although it might have slightly benefited from having episodes that were 3-5 minutes longer.