The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

.. issue is just that we only have 2 episodes left now for everything else. 😕

Yeah that crossed my mind too.
Eps. 7 the pacing felt off/lingered too repetitively for its point. I'm sure they wanted to do "justice" to the DLC content but it's a case where the more semi-contained episodic nature of the show may have backfired a bit, imo.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Keep having to pause Picard S03E03 to do something else. It's... not very interesting. The real TNG crew would have figured that out by now. Easily.

Edit:

Spoiler

Great, Changelings. How original.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Picard 3.3

Where should I start?

Spoiler

The recap ends with Picard saying "first they will have to find us" and then it immediately shows the Shrike right behind them. And when they finally lose the Shrike, Picard gets pessimistic. Ok, that actually makes sense now.

The doctor forgets Beverly is hurt, and she claims to have wanted to protect Jack, but ended up seeking danger among the stars. Also, with all his crimes, she was surprise Starfleet turned on them when they showed up.:facepalm:

We learned that firing on a torpedo can send the enemy ship far away, guess nobody ever tried it?

Finally, why did Riker blame Picard despite being in command and making the choices?confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Spoiler

No surprise there, since the subtitles revealed it early in the episode.

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Picard 3.3

Where should I start?

Hide contents

The recap ends with Picard saying "first they will have to find us" and then it immediately shows the Shrike right behind them. And when they finally lose the Shrike, Picard gets pessimistic. Ok, that actually makes sense now.

The doctor forgets Beverly is hurt, and she claims to have wanted to protect Jack, but ended up seeking danger among the stars. Also, with all his crimes, she was surprise Starfleet turned on them when they showed up.:facepalm:

We learned that firing on a torpedo can send the enemy ship far away, guess nobody ever tried it?

Finally, why did Riker blame Picard despite being in command and making the choices?confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

No surprise there, since the subtitles revealed it early in the episode.

There's a bunch of other stuff too, like Riker trying the same thing twice to the same effect (keep going straight into that portal from the portal gun, stolen directly from Portal), Picard dipping back into his flowery nonsense when talking to Riker, the ill-fated role reversal between him and Riker, and finally...

Spoiler

Guess Starfleet only has torpedoes nowadays because phasers would not have hit the Shrike before the portal was active as defense weapon.

I've pretty much given up on writing all the stupidity up. It's hard enough to watch this to be done with it, really. :p

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

You haven't seen bad sci-fi until you watch The Ark. It's bad, really bad. It's like they hired the first lot of actors that came in for a screen test that were willing to travel to Serbia to film this. Yes, it's filmed in Serbia and it shows. They really cheaped out on everything. The acting is woeful, characters are unlikeable, the story is ridiculous and the sets look like they're out of a high school production. The CGI is diabolical especially when the space ship can do manoeuvres that defy physics - obviously due to budget constraints for the vfx artists. This needs to get cancelled to get the network air time back.

2 minutes ago, Hiro Protagonist said:

You haven't seen bad sci-fi until you watch The Ark. It's bad, really bad. It's like they hired the first lot of actors that came in for a screen test that were willing to travel to Serbia to film this. Yes, it's filmed in Serbia and it shows. They really cheaped out on everything. The acting is woeful, characters are unlikeable, the story is ridiculous and the sets look like they're out of a high school production. The CGI is diabolical especially when the space ship can do manoeuvres that defy physics - obviously due to budget constraints for the vfx artists. This needs to get cancelled to get the network air time back.

Best sci-fi series with the worst "effects"... my nomination goes to Blakes 7 (I still adore that show)

• Thanks 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I started watching Stargate SG-1 from s3 on again. It still holds up surprisingly well. Feels weird to not know anything about the episodes anymore but at the same time remembering everything again when I see it. Must be 10+ years now since I last saw the show.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I would joke that these are Majestic and someone else, but he is the only one I know who still watch STD, so I can't even make that joke.

Majestic's pain is so much his mind split and he counts as two viewers.

I still have not seen a single episode of nutrek.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

HBOMax has all the seasons of The Mentalist. I recall liking that show a fair bit when it was airing, altho like many series I probably only watched 1 or 2 seasons. It's your fairly typical "genius observer type with a past" helps a cop team solve crimes show, but the lead Simon Baker is just so great in it that it elevates it a bit. Rewatching it, it mostly holds up. Mostly it's fun seeing the early episodes again after all this time, maybe I'll try to finish thru season 5, when I think the main chr. arc ends (the show lasted a couple more years after that but probably went very downhill). Quite a few well known tv actors from the time period sprinkled throughout as well.

I had forgotten how much I liked the deadpan demeanor of the supporting chr. played by Tim Kang, too. He had the perfect face/voice for such. I looked him up and I guess he has a recurring role in that Magnum PI reboot. Almost makes me want to check that out now, or at least an episode or two.  😄

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Best sci-fi series with the worst "effects"... my nomination goes to Blakes 7 (I still adore that show)

Ah yes, Blake's 7 sfx... we need an invading alien fleet and we have literally 50p left in the series budget. Let's raid the staff kitchen for some random utensils. End result: one of the invading alien ships is quite literally an egg beater with a bit of painted papier maché over it.

Disproportionately influential though, and Avon is still the best character in TV scifi nearly 50 years later. The irony is that its Federation was pretty directly based on Star Trek's and is not that far off where the Fed has actually ended up in nuTrek.

• Like 2

Last of Us Episode 8 - Better then last episode, imo. I wish it had been maybe 10 minutes longer to pad out a certain early aspect/tension a bit more.
---Troy Baker playing a small role. 'Nuff said.
---With the way they have been condensing some things I'm certain they can end the show with the one episode left. One has to remember that TV is not a game with the player taking a long time to "do stuff" - the essential story can be told fairly briefly. It might've been better at 10 episodes vs. 9, however.
---I still feel like Episodes 1-3 were the best ones, with the rest falling a notch or two below. Still good.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Thought this episode was better than the last 2 or 3, though the last 2 or 3 ofc were also good. What's funny is, that while watching the new episode I was constantly like "I remember this", but couldn't pin it to anything definitive.. until the last chapter started and I finally remembered that boss fight.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Travis Kelce hosted SNL, and he is surprisingly good. His monologue is probably the best one outside of the stand comedians that host. I was pretty surprised that a football player was so good, but I guess I shouldn't, given the amount of players that became decent actors.

• Like 1

Silo was a decent book, so it will be interesting to see if they can pull the movie off. I think I lost interest in the series at some point, though. 

Ghosted looks fun. Citadel looks terrible. Stanley Tucci sounded bored. 

I'm a Virgo looks weird and will probably be the best of the bunch.

I tried to watch Psych once. Felt too sitcom-y for me maybe or I wasn't in the mood. I might try again someday. There's also the comedic series Chuck, which someone I know loved but I never got around to trying, tho I do know who Z. Levi is because of clips and his VA role in Tangled was great/fun.

Nearing the end of season1 The Mentalist. Still liking the rewatch, both with full attention/TV and as something to have on while cooking etc. :)

Just now, Gfted1 said:

Aint nobody got no time to catch up 15 seasons.

Yeah, that's sometimes a stopper for me too...even if it's only 8 seasons.
I also don't have the patience anymore for things like "but it gets really good after 2 seasons!"  I'm not watching multiple seasons just so I can understand/get what's happening in the supposedly "good" later seasons. Kinda like when people say a MMO game gets good after 100 hours. Nope.