The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

5 minutes ago, majestic said:

Picard S03E02: The Big Meh.

No real post necessary. Title says it all.

So best episode of nutrek?

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I know I'm never going to be curious enough to continue watching Picard or Discovery but maybe I'll finish Lower Decks season 2 at some point. I don't mind it but I'm having a hard time getting into it, I like the voice actors and Trek references but dislike the animation and I don't think it's very funny.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Surprised Picard's not been cancelled, all I ever see is how much it sucks :lol:

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe it survives coz ya'll keep hate watching this garbage and that drives up the statistics.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

RoP won't get cancelled, they'd have to pay for the license anyway and that's a ludicrous proportion of the series' costs- even without all the other sunk costs they have like moving all their sets from NZ. Plus a cancellation would almost certainly be a resignation issue for senior managers responsible for it and Turkeys don't vote for an early Christmas.

I'd suspect RoP has been more disappointing financially for Amazon than anything Star Trek has been for Paramount, full stop. Beaten handily by Clarkson's Farm of all things...

It's pretty hard to gauge how successfull RoP was, but I doubt many Prime shows are ahead of it in streaming numbers. It was extremely good, so I hope to see quite a few more seasons. 

It's weird how negative people are about stuff like this. I have no interest in Picard, but I certainly don't root against it. I hope it improves and continues for the people that like Star Trek. 

8 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

It's pretty hard to gauge how successfull RoP was, but I doubt many Prime shows are ahead of it in streaming numbers. It was extremely good, so I hope to see quite a few more seasons. 

It's weird how negative people are about stuff like this. I have no interest in Picard, but I certainly don't root against it. I hope it improves and continues for the people that like Star Trek. 

It's not weird at all. If I took all your favorite things and turned them all into steaming piles of dog poop, and then it turns out you don't like dog poop, well, what the hell is wrong with you? Why don't you like your steaming piles of dog poop? These steaming piles of dog poop were committee-formulated and market-tested specifically to appeal to your dog poop tastes - there must be something very wrong with you to not like your steaming piles of dog poop! Maybe you're even an -ist or two for not liking your dog poop... Everyone else in the world loves these steaming piles of dog poop, why don't you?!

It doesn't help that we're all more connected than we've ever been. Before the internet, if you didn't like something, maybe you told some of your closest friends and you all talked about it and then you usually moved on - no hard feelings, or at least there shouldn't be. Now if you frequent a forum like this or view comments on social media, you could post about how you tried but didn't enjoy something, and immediately the next person that replies talks about how GREAT it was while making sure to hit you with their imbecilic emoji spam. One doesn't really have to do with the other, but it is difficult not to unconsciously associate them nevertheless. Negative feelings about something have infinite opportunity to grow while allowing practically nothing for it to reverse course thanks to the internet.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's not weird at all. If I took all your favorite things and turned them all into steaming piles of dog poop, and then it turns out you don't like dog poop, well, what the hell is wrong with you? Why don't you like your steaming piles of dog poop? These steaming piles of dog poop were committee-formulated and market-tested specifically to appeal to your dog poop tastes - there must be something very wrong with you to not like your steaming piles of dog poop! Maybe you're even an -ist or two for not liking your dog poop... Everyone else in the world loves these steaming piles of dog poop, why don't you?!

It doesn't help that we're all more connected than we've ever been. Before the internet, if you didn't like something, maybe you told some of your closest friends and you all talked about it and then you usually moved on - no hard feelings, or at least there shouldn't be. Now if you frequent a forum like this or view comments on social media, you could post about how you tried but didn't enjoy something, and immediately the next person that replies talks about how GREAT it was while making sure to hit you with their imbecilic emoji spam. One doesn't really have to do with the other, but it is difficult not to unconsciously associate them nevertheless. Negative feelings about something have infinite opportunity to grow while allowing practically nothing for it to reverse course thanks to the internet.

Ok, this is a pretty deep response. Your last sentence about negative feelings is the real crux of the matter. I disagree that there is practically nothing to reverse course for negativity. You have the power to control that (and it doesn't take a special ring.)(Did you see what I did there? I would use an imbecilic emoji here but that comment hurt me.)

As to the first paragraph...it's unreasonable to call most shows today poop. There has been some pretty bad Tolkien content in the past.

That being said, if this is your favorite Tolkien content, it doesn't detract from my experience of other content. It obviously bums me out that many here didn't like Rings of Power. As my favorite online community of gaming buddies, it is always enjoyable to discuss what we are watching and playing with each other. It's also ok that we have different tastes. 

Calling someone's tastes crap is toxic though. That's basically what you are doing in that first paragraph. You are calling my taste crap. That's negative and unreasonable. The other day someone posted here about drinking diet soda. I was aghast at first. Not only do I think diet soda tastes bad, I also have serious concerns about the health impact of drinking it. I thought maybe I should post about it, but then I remembered we are adults, and the person is aware of the health concerns, and I don't need to lecture people here. Except when they call my tastes crap. Then I get to lecture about how insulting that is. *emoji redacted*

6 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Ok, this is a pretty deep response. Your last sentence about negative feelings is the real crux of the matter. I disagree that there is practically nothing to reverse course for negativity. You have the power to control that (and it doesn't take a special ring.)(Did you see what I did there? I would use an imbecilic emoji here but that comment hurt me.)

Let me be clear about what I mean when I say "imbecilic emoji spam". I think emojis are in a disgusting art style and it's difficult not to have distaste for them wherever and whenever they are used, along with any other similar react-type graphics that don't distinguish themselves with a very different style. Even on here, how can someone use stuff like "🤣", "😜", "😏" and not immediately think "hey, wait a second, these awful graphics are representing me, I don't want that, let me figure out an alternative"? Maybe people who aren't brain-damaged (i.e. not me, unfortunately) aren't quite so sensitive and don't even think about something nearly so minute as the art style of a reaction graphic and what it conveys? I'm not sure. However, the word "spam" was a key component of what I was talking about: it is not simply the act of using an emoji in a relatively normal manner to convey some kind of feeling, it is the act of spamming them (using a pile of them all at once) that changes my attitude about the person from "I don't know why they use them like this" to "if I never interacted with this person ever again, it would be too soon". So fortunately, that statement did not apply to anyone here on the Obsidian forums with but maybe one or two exceptions whom I have already blocked one way or another. Speaking of which, how's the ignore list for "the power to control"? :p

As to the first paragraph...it's unreasonable to call most shows today poop.

When was the last time you turned on daytime/cable television? If it's been recently and you feel you still can make that statement...well, let me do some self-censoring here myself, :- :p.

That being said, if this is your favorite Tolkien content, it doesn't detract from my experience of other content. It obviously bums me out that many here didn't like Rings of Power. As my favorite online community of gaming buddies, it is always enjoyable to discuss what we are watching and playing with each other. It's also ok that we have different tastes. 

Calling someone's tastes crap is toxic though. That's basically what you are doing in that first paragraph. You are calling my taste crap. That's negative and unreasonable. The other day someone posted here about drinking diet soda. I was aghast at first. Not only do I think diet soda tastes bad, I also have serious concerns about the health impact of drinking it. I thought maybe I should post about it, but then I remembered we are adults, and the person is aware of the health concerns, and I don't need to lecture people here. Except when they call my tastes crap. Then I get to lecture about how insulting that is. *emoji redacted*

Hold on, I did not do that. There have absolutely been many instances of me being a toxic jerk about something like this (see sentence immediately preceding above the quote block!), but this is not one of them. I have not watched a single second of The Rings of Power outside of a couple of short random/contextless clips that were shown to me so I really have no clear feelings about it*, so my first paragraph was genuinely not at all directed towards you and The Rings of Power but rather towards the general feeling of watching something and thinking "man, this is absolutely terrible" while then immediately coming to face with people who love it and being like "what the hell, they practically love it for all the reasons that I hate it" and the increasingly negative feelings that unconsciously arise as a result. I would not have been nearly so extreme in how I said that if it was specifically about you. I mean, probably. I've always known that I can go way too hard on stuff that I simply do not understand, but I've always been willing to apologize for it as well, :shrugz:.

*In fact, when the main thread/discussion of The Rings of Power was ongoing, I distinctly remember someone on here saying that (paraphrased) "the writing/dialogue in The Rings of Power is actually much closer to J.R.R. Tolkien in style than Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings", and I took that as an anti-recommendation for the show because I've read all three Lord of the Rings books and kind of low-key hate them specifically because of J.R.R. Tolkien's writing style, especially as someone who's an aphantasiac (no mind's eye, i.e. no ability to visually imagine anything, so writing style/prose being to my tastes is critical for me when reading). So I did not investigate any further, and I would imagine that was probably wise.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Three Pines 1 and 2. It's somewhat like Canadian Twin Peaks starring Doctor Octopus, but more normal and focused on mysteries than a surreal deconstruction of small town America and television. It looks like every two episodes are about Doctor Octopus solving a strange murder while also searching for a missing indigenous woman who ran off to New York or got killed. I like it, would reccomend.

6 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Let me be clear about what I mean when I say "imbecilic emoji spam". I think emojis are in a disgusting art style and it's difficult not to have distaste for them wherever and whenever they are used, along with any other similar react-type graphics that don't distinguish themselves with a very different style. Even on here, how can someone use stuff like "🤣", "😜", "😏" and not immediately think "hey, wait a second, these awful graphics are representing me, I don't want that, let me figure out an alternative"? Maybe people who aren't brain-damaged (i.e. not me, unfortunately) aren't quite so sensitive and don't even think about something nearly so minute as the art style of a reaction graphic and what it conveys? I'm not sure. However, the word "spam" was a key component of what I was talking about: it is not simply the act of using an emoji in a relatively normal manner to convey some kind of feeling, it is the act of spamming them (using a pile of them all at once) that changes my attitude about the person from "I don't know why they use them like this" to "if I never interacted with this person ever again, it would be too soon". So fortunately, that statement did not apply to anyone here on the Obsidian forums with but maybe one or two exceptions whom I have already blocked one way or another. Speaking of which, how's the ignore list for "the power to control"? :p

3a3.jpg

I don't use emojis because there are way too many combinations of them that are propositioning someone, such as 🤣 😜😏 being widely used as an invitation to [redacted]. When I do use the emojis it is almost as always as part of a bit, because I am naughty :biggrin:

7 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

In all fairness after seeing what Swedish people eat I think calling their tastes crap is less toxic than eating ketchup on plain macaroni.

Pasta,_Swedish_meatballs_and_ketchup.jpg

This looks like one of those AI that can't comprehend hands tried to cook. Feeding this to your kids should be considered child abuse.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Finished watching Night Sky. And they cancelled it after 1 season. Low audience numbers. I can understand why though, it's only 8 episodes and quite slow in the first couple. A lot of focus on relationships which I thought was well done. Apparently, not enough pew pew sci-fi to keep audiences watching it.  It doesn't get good until about episode 5 and then from there it takes off. So much happened in the last half of the season finale. Quite original and season 2 would have answered a lot of questions.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 8:23 PM, Hurlshort said:

With the cost of the show, it would have to be far ahead in streaming numbers for it to be considered successful.

It may have some company or competition in the near future:

Warner Bros Just Destroyed The Rings Of Power

On 2/25/2023 at 9:57 PM, Hiro Protagonist said:

Finished watching Night Sky. And they cancelled it after 1 season. Low audience numbers. I can understand why though, it's only 8 episodes and quite slow in the first couple. A lot of focus on relationships which I thought was well done. Apparently, not enough pew pew sci-fi to keep audiences watching it.  It doesn't get good until about episode 5 and then from there it takes off. So much happened in the last half of the season finale. Quite original and season 2 would have answered a lot of questions.

I had never heard of this. It looks interesting, but knowing it was cancelled, I'll have to think twice before watching it.

sign.jpg

46 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

With the cost of the show, it would have to be far ahead in streaming numbers for it to be considered successful.

It may have some company or competition in the near future:

Warner Bros Just Destroyed The Rings Of Power

That's quite a clickbait-y title. It should read "Movie may come out in 3-5 years covering similar Tolkien material."  I doubt it conflicts at all. Either RoP will be firmly established, or it will already be cancelled by the time a movie comes out.  

Honestly, looking back over the last year, Rings of Power was the only show that I was excited to watch every week. I have a bunch of unfinished seasons of other stuff. My wife and I just finished Vikings Valhalla and it's good, but wasn't must watch TV.

I guess Reacher might be 2nd place in that list. That was a pretty fun show too. Surprisingly both of those are on Amazon Prime. Nothing on Disney+ or Netflix stood out to me this year. Peacemaker on HBO was pretty good, but it's another one where I'm not dying for season 2.

Last of Us, episode 7, reminds of episode 3, except I didn't like it nearly as much. Still quality and I'm probably in a minority but eh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I thought it was a bit boring. That in itself wouldn't be so much a problem.. issue is just that we only have 2 episodes left now for everything else. 😕

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."