The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

Started watching a German documentary about the three lawyers defending Beate Zschäpe. I came close to posting about this in the funny thread, because there's something inherently amusing about the lawyers of a famous Neo-Nazi terrorist having the last names Heer, Stahl and Sturm. If someone came up with these names in a movie script they'd be laughed out of the writer's room. :p

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Continued from old thread:

I did something unusual and watched an episode of something.... (that hasn't really happened since I bought GoT box set with all 8 seasons)

(this was recommended to me by @BruceVC, thanks for that)

Saw first episode of 1899. Excellent thriller/mystery/horror. I expected Chtulhu to rise of up, out of the waves any moment. Even if it didn't , there is something "Lovecraftian" about the whole atmosphere of this episode. A nice mix of languages too (I speak several of them). Me likey very much so far 👍

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Gorth said:

Continued from old thread:

I did something unusual and watched an episode of something.... (that hasn't really happened since I bought GoT box set with all 8 seasons)

(this was recommended to me by @BruceVC, thanks for that)

Saw first episode of 1899. Excellent thriller/mystery/horror. I expected Chtulhu to rise of up, out of the waves any moment. Even if it didn't , there is something "Lovecraftian" about the whole atmosphere of this episode. A nice mix of languages too (I speak several of them). Me likey very much so far 👍

Wait till the end, then we can discuss it 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Wednesday, the end. Yeah, so it's really like...just a more differenter and lower scale Harry Potter with a little Sherlock Holmes mixed in (the good Sherlock Holmes, not that revolting Martin Freeman and whateverhisface swill). Again, not at all a bad thing, I actually quite enjoyed it, even with all of its goofiness. I pretty famously don't much go for this kind of thing, so it may or may not be saying something that I did in this case, I don't know - your mileage may vary. It's a recommendation from me if it seems like something that could potentially interest you, though.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Wednesday, the end. Yeah, so it's really like...just a more differenter and lower scale Harry Potter with a little Sherlock Holmes mixed in (the good Sherlock Holmes, not that revolting Martin Freeman and whateverhisface swill). Again, not at all a bad thing, I actually quite enjoyed it, even with all of its goofiness. I pretty famously don't much go for this kind of thing, so it may or may not be saying something that I did in this case, I don't know - your mileage may vary. It's a recommendation from me if it seems like something that could potentially interest you, though.

Well it seems we both liked Wednesday, so if at least two more of @Sarex, @majestic, or @InsaneCommander like it we're looking at the apocalypse.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

Well it seems we both liked Wednesday, so if at least two more of @Sarex, @majestic, or @InsaneCommander like it we're looking at the apocalypse.

I mean if I didn't like it I wouldn't have finished it, but the plot was kind of weak to me. I really liked the atmosphere and the vibe of it though.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

19 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I mean if I didn't like it I wouldn't have finished it, but the plot was kind of weak to me. I really liked the atmosphere and the vibe of it though.

Then we're one step closer to the Additional Impact.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I would agree that the show had some weaknesses. The thing that bothered me the most for like the first half of the show is that...

Spoiler

Wednesday is just like, super good at everything. Even social interactions and caring about others, which is supposed to be her one glaring weakness, is really...like, people just kind of forgive and enable her regardless. I'm, as always, first and foremost a character guy, so her not having practically any weaknesses struck me as a little too much. This ends up being averted somewhat in the end with where the plot ends up going, and I guess that's enough for me to forgive it as well. Enid, Eugene, Weems, and Thing were all good supporting cast; Wednesday's family I was kind of up and down on, as the whole murder plot felt like the show had kind of taken a weird sloppy detour that then suddenly resolved itself. I get why we needed to do that, but kind of weak and sloppy nonetheless. The rest were mostly fine. I do wish some of the kind of virtue signalling inserts had been toned down just a little (poor Enid probably got hit the most here - even though I think her actress executed her character quite well, she was on the receiving end of so much of the heavy-handed "I am me and that is good" writing choices they made, which...while very thematically appropriate given the type of people we're talking about here, eh), and I think I liked the first half of the show more than the second half (well, of course: first half of the show was mostly character stuff), but in the end, an enjoyable show with fun characters is an enjoyable show with fun characters - it got it right where it counts most for me without ruining itself.

There's also one other thing I didn't like towards the end with how the plot wrapped up (most of which I was fine with because it's all rather silly and that's okay), but talking about it might legitimately damage the show for somebody who might be considering watching it but hasn't yet due to it putting the character in a really bad light, so I won't. Let's just say that it was a choice that Disney also made that, I think in hindsight, was similarly bad in a certain ice-themed film.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Don't worry, I've basically hated every Addam's Family offering except the 60ies black and white series. I'll check it out eventually, I guess. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, that's how I felt going into it, particularly knowing Tim Burton was involved. My thinking was "this show is probably going to focus on all the wrong things while ignoring what I like most...I guess I'll give it maybe ten minutes to convince me otherwise - it's a murderous goth girl protagonist, I have to at least give it a try". Uh, oops.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

Watched second episode of 1899. The mystery deepens. The soundtrack is a bit anachronistic, but otherwise a very intriguing mystery so far 😎

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Watched the last Trevor Noah episode. I didn't care that much for him in the beginning but he really grew on me over the years.

The bits that I enjoy the most are the inbetween clips, for some reason

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Tried to watch Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio on Netflix.

The animation is impressive and sometimes very beautiful. I actively disliked the first musical song bits.  After about 40-50 minutes I was feeling a little bored/not feeling it and turned it off. I suspect maybe I'd be in the minority there (kinda like with Everything Everywhere etc). Just not for me/doesn't give me feels or whatever. 😛  But that animation was very nice.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

30 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Tried to watch Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio on Netflix.

The animation is impressive and sometimes very beautiful. I actively disliked the first musical song bits.  After about 40-50 minutes I was feeling a little bored/not feeling it and turned it off. I suspect maybe I'd be in the minority there (kinda like with Everything Everywhere etc). Just not for me/doesn't give me feels or whatever. 😛  But that animation was very nice.

I'm not expecting to love it even though I know KP said it was great, purely on the basis that I have not particularly enjoyed the couple of other things I've watched by del Toro. I'll give it a try, but...

28 minutes ago, majestic said:

Can someone try the Dragon Age animated series and tell me that I need not bother to watch it? That would save me some time, thanks!

It's really awful.

Spoiler

Presumably, :shifty:.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Can someone try the Dragon Age animated series and tell me that I need not bother to watch it? That would save me some time, thanks! :p

It is horrible, worse than "I'm The Villainess, So I'm Taming The Final Boss" and "The Beast Tamer Who Was Exiled from His Party Meets a Cat Girl From the Strongest Race". Combined. You don't need to bother with even five minutes of it.

Source: I watched the preview.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm not expecting to love it even though I know KP said it was great, purely on the basis that I have not particularly enjoyed the couple of other things I've watched by del Toro. I'll give it a try, but.

You'll like it. Or you won't.

I'd recommend it to you on the basis of it not having any of the big ole "Bartimaeus Brain Blockers" that I noticed, but your tastes are obscure, even to yourself, and maybe one of the musical numbers will open up the cold hatred in your brain. The backdrop of fascism is something that it does really well and I thought that specifically might interest you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Make a contract with KP said:

It is horrible, worse than "I'm The Villainess, So I'm Taming The Final Boss" and "The Beast Tamer Who Was Exiled from His Party Meets a Cat Girl From the Strongest Race". Combined. You don't need to bother with even five minutes of it.

Source: I watched the preview.

You'll like it. Or you won't.

I'd recommend it to you on the basis of it not having any of the big ole "Bartimaeus Brain Blockers" that I noticed, but your tastes are obscure, even to yourself, and maybe one of the musical numbers will open up the cold hatred in your brain. The backdrop of fascism is something that it does really well and I thought that specifically might interest you.

would be impressive if some show manage to be worse than two garbage light novel adaptation combine

remember become twintail have such awful production many keep watch every week just to see how it can get worse in the next episode

Finished episode 5 "The Calling" of 1899 today. I'm getting some very strong The Matrix vibes by now... 😎

On 12/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, Make a contract with KP said:

It is horrible, worse than "I'm The Villainess, So I'm Taming The Final Boss" and "The Beast Tamer Who Was Exiled from His Party Meets a Cat Girl From the Strongest Race". Combined.

So it's worse than "I'm the Final Boss Tamer Exiled from His Party, So I'm Meeting the Cat Girl Villainess From the Strongest Race"?

Thanks for letting me know.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

So it's worse than "I'm the Final Boss Tamer Exiled from His Party, So I'm Meeting the Cat Girl Villainess From the Strongest Race"?

Thanks for letting me know.

Wait a minute, that's just the Wenduag romance in WotR and the only thing I know about that is you call her a silly little cat.

• Hmmm 1