The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

Paramount owns Showtime, where it airs in the US, so that makes sense. 

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

22 hours ago, Amentep said:

Paramount owns Showtime, where it airs in the US, so that makes sense. 

I didn't know that. Kinda crazy how these companies own so much shot you can't really be sure who owns what.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Viacom owned it from the begining i think, later bought Paramount and CBS.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Rich: "Nothing I'm going to complain about is as bad as the stuff that came before."

Indeed, and that is how low we have sunk. Because those middle three episodes were not good, but I guess when swimming in a sea of diarrhea, finding a chunk of firm stool feels like a win. :shrugz:

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

And in today's episode of Picard: Federation officers cry and despair just because the ship is dark. Also, they execute neutralized enemies.

Also:

Spoiler

How many times does Data need to die for them to stop saying this time is for good?

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

And in today's episode of Picard: Federation officers cry and despair just because the ship is dark. Also, they execute neutralized enemies.

Also:

Hide contents

How many times does Data need to die for them to stop saying this time is for good?

About as often as they need to finally find a way to incorporate an aging Brent Spiner into the cast without it looking weird, or alternatively until now that Brent Spiner apparently finally gave up and accepted that he's going to forever be Data, but that is mere speculation. I do now know if he was fed up with the role and insisted to be killed off because of the aging issue or the casting issue, or both (rumors went around even as far back as Star Trek: Nemesis, but I never really followed them - I mean I liked Nemesis more than most people, but it still was not a good film). :shrugz:

The latter is fixed now though, I guess.

Not that any of that matters as the time of having decent Star Trek shows on air died in 2005*, and that might even be a stretch calling  Star Trek Enterprise decent when it consists of two seasons that were noticably worse than other Star Trek early seasons, an experimental but rather enjoyable third season with severe pacing issues and retcon nonsense and an actually decent fourth season that showed potential until the plug got pulled and we got that travesty of a final episode that I once thought is going to be in the Star Trek hall of shame as the worst episode ever, but it has since been dethroned. Multiple times.

*Not extending an olive branch to Strange New Worlds, as I mildly disliked to hated most of the characters and attempts to write character interactions and the character development. The show is not bad, so that is at least that, but certain aspects of the writing are just too awkward, and it fusses around too much and never truly commits to being full Star Trek - never mind it stubbornly adhering to the formula of having to have at least one awesome action scene per episode.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Beef (2023) - Steven Yeun vs Ali Wong

Either it's great or the Man o'Wars I was drinking influenced it positively for me, but this is one of the best limited series I have seen, up there with True Detective s1, Midnight Mass, or Maniac.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

...up there with True Detective s1...

Whoa, thats high praise to me. I checked out the trailer and it looks fun. Ill try to convince my wife to watch it with me. If you havent already seen it, Ali Wong has a pretty funny stand up on Netflix too Ali Wong: Don Wong.

Love, Death & Robots, a series of science fiction animated shorts. Some good ones that lingers in the head, some others that are pretty but kinda "Huh? What was that about?" Made me think of things like how much I miss reading science fiction short story anthologies and how sanitized and sexless mainstream TV normally is nowadays. 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:10 PM, InsaneCommander said:

These dumb hit pieces on RoP are so weird. "Here is a statistic that looks bad when we remove most of the context, gasp!"

🙄

Netflix doesn't even report most numbers. What does 37% total out to? If a tree falls in the forest, but only one person hears it, but they listen to the whole noise, does it get renewed?

And apparently season 2 will only have 4 episodes and be the shows finale. If it were super successful, I doubt they'd do this.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Some video that I watched yesterday talked about it. Can't remember which one it was tho.

Oh. Pretty sure this goes back to my dumb hit pieces on the internet theory.

As I have said before, Amazon is already in deep on this IP, they are not Netflix, and they have said nothing to indicate they will be ending this series early. That being said, they aren't even slated to come out with season 2 for another year.

I think we all know that Amazon is planning on combining Rings of Power with Wheel of Time for the greatest tv crossover event of all time.

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 3
  • Sad 1

Reached a point where I seem to either: try a bunch of kdrama's, which I like/watch half of then get bored of, or rewatch old favorite things. Like Drive Angry. Which was funny, since I mostly love that movie for Fitchner's small The Accountant role (I watch only his clips occasionally), and had forgotten most of the other stuff. Fitcher is a 10, the rest maybe a 5.

I did notice on HBOMax that they somehow have gotten season 1 of The Winchesters (a CW Supernatural spinoff). I'm guessing it's likely terrible but maybe I'll stare at an episode or two just to see....it's set in the past and seems to retcon the original series parent's past...I smell alternate timeline shenanigans.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Netflix doesn't even report most numbers. What does 37% total out to?

Well, you could theoretically get close to working it out. Or at least work out the top end and a plausible scenario.

per Nielson, 9.4bn minutes of RoP watched, 557 minutes series length --> 16.8 million full series equivalent views in the US in 2022. That's the upper limit, and assumes that around 34mn people watched exactly 2 minutes then quit --> total viewership of ~51mn. A more plausible scenario would be quitters watching on average the first 2 episodes each (132 minutes). That would reduce total series watches to, hmm, around 12 million? and partial series watches to around 23 million* for about 35mn total viewership. Then try and extrapolate out to world wide.

RoP definitely has a bit of Tall Poppy Syndrome about it, but, a retention rate of 37% really is poor verging on disastrous. It implies the audience for RoP S2 in the US would be ~12 million max.

Retention rate is of course a very limited measure practically since it doesn't measure enjoyment or whether people maintain their subs based on liking it, indeed while I hated WoT with the burning passion of a million suns I watched to the end, so even I'd be included in a positive metric. It even looks like I subbed to Prime specifically to watch it.

*head maths, too early in the morning here to solve accurately. It's going to bug me though, since I am at least mildly interested in the answer 9.6bn minutes under that scenario, so pretty close.

I wonder if RoP won't be out on DVD or similar some day, like GoT did (that's how I got to watch the latter). I saw two episodes of RoP (5+6 iirc) while staying at a friends place in Melbourne a few months ago and she had all the streaming services. Not something I would buy on DVD to be honest. An Ok action series if you can accept it got nothing to do with the books other than a bit of name dropping here and there and otherwise being a mostly unrelated story. But the dialogue and conversations... argh! 😖

• Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I think we all know that Amazon is planning on combining Rings of Power with Wheel of Time for the greatest tv crossover event of all time.

That would be twice as bad. Here is another idea, make a crossover with Uncle From Another World. Galadrial can play the elf and Ojisan would fit perfectly among the orcs. Also, if the battles are as bad as people say, he would quickly become Middle Earth's Sun Tzu with his knowledge of Sega games.

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

That would be twice as bad. Here is another idea, make a crossover with Uncle From Another World. Galadrial can play the elf and Ojisan would fit perfectly among the orcs. Also, if the battles are as bad as people say, he would quickly become Middle Earth's Sun Tzu with his knowledge of Sega games.

Ojisan popping up in either of those shows would objectively make them better, I will reach out to Amazon to see if we can make it happen.

• Thanks 1