The TV and Streaming Thread: Summer Re-reruns (it's always summer somewhere)

majestic

As i understsnd it, Hbo continues as the cable channel.

Max is HBOMax merged with Discovery+ย 

Surprised they didn't call it Max+

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ah ****, Moon Bin is dead. I really liked him in Moment of Eighteen. The K-Pop industry really is a terrible thing to be in.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Star Trek Picard, season three, finale.

Not going to lie, there were some very, very enjoyable scenes in this episode, the problem is, they have absolutely nothing to do with the guano-insane plot or the "awesome" action in this episode, and everything with plucking the old nostalgia-afflicted heartstrings in just the right way. It was a good way to end the season and the series on a high note for former fans, but it leaves a rather bitter aftertaste insofar as it then feels like wool, pulled over the watcher's weary eyes. It almost makes one forget the torture this episode by far and large was. At this point I am convinced that the CIA has substituted waterboarding as torture method of choice by breaking people through nuTrek. Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA.

However, at the end, I can say one thing: I would gladly watch a Star Trek series with Seven of Nine as the captain of the Enterprise, provided the people from Paramount prostrate themselves before Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ira Steven Behr and beg them to run it. Alas, as that is never really going to happen, well, I am looking forward to the final season of Discovery, if only to dance on the grave of that horrible TV/streaming travesty, and to the next season of Strange New Worlds, where we hopefully get an answer to the question whether Ensign La'an Noonien-Singh is coming back or not. :deadhorse:

ย 

Edited by majestic
prostate -> prostrate. Woops. :p
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

21 hours ago, Amentep said:

As i understsnd it, Hbo continues as the cable channel.

Cable? What's cable.

15 hours ago, Lexx said:

Ah ****, Moon Bin is dead. I really liked him in Moment of Eighteen. The K-Pop industry really is a terrible thing to be in.

That's always sad. ๐Ÿ˜• According to Viki I only watched 4.5 episodes of Moment of Eighteen. Don't remember if I didn't like it or just forgot about it. Half the time now I completely forget I even started watching something, if I didn't binge-complete it in 36 hours. :mellow:

โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

Picard 3.10

Some satisfactory moments and the traditional plot holes of nuTrek. Time to copy Star Wars: a New Hope.

Spoiler

Nice of the Borg to leave free space in ther cube for a Galaxy-class ship to reach its vulnerable point. Regardless of how difficult it was, requiring Data's new brain, you'd imagine they would at least have some shields and weapons.

ย 

3 hours ago, majestic said:

However, at the end, I can say one thing: I would gladly watch a Star Trek series with Seven of Nine as the captain of the Enterprise

If you managed to stand it until the post credits scene, then you know that may actually happen. I mean, not with the people you mentioned, of course.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Star Trek Picard, season three, finale.

ogp_02.png

Not going to lie, there were some very, very enjoyable scenes in this episode, the problem is, they have absolutely nothing to do with the guano-insane plot or the "awesome" action in this episode, and everything with plucking the old nostalgia-afflicted heartstrings in just the right way.

Huh, so pretty much they failed to deliver a good show by itself, but managed to make the landing with nostalgia bombs? Sounds like a marked upgrade from the standard. Maybe I'll just watch this one episode and pretend it was a one-off to get all the old cast back on their health insurance.

I would gladly watch a Star Trek series with Seven of Nine as the captain of the Enterprise, provided the people from Paramount prostate themselves before Robert Hewitt Wolfe and Ira Steven Behr and beg them to run it.

I would probably watch it (at least one episode) if they got anyone more competent or interesting than the current writers. By now I have least seen one (combined) episode of NuTrek from all the cries of anguish and a RLM video, so I can authoritatively claim that the writing is bad and dumb.

38 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Time to copy Star Wars: a New Hope.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens already did.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"Youย are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyย it seems like the creatorsย like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tย forgetย the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Areย you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralย camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

That's always sad. ๐Ÿ˜• According to Viki I only watched 4.5 episodes of Moment of Eighteen. Don't remember if I didn't like it or just forgot about it. Half the time now I completely forget I even started watching something, if I didn't binge-complete it in 36 hours. :mellow:

You watch a lot more of this stuff than I do, so maybe you got more tired quickly. : >

It's one of the few shows that I was able to watch till the end, so it can't have been that bad. I think for me it felt more or less down to earth than other shows, so it felt easier for me to pull through. Always hate it when they put the wildest story twists into those dramas, like when suddenly it turns out that everyone is related to each other, or they have met already as children, and stuff like that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

I think for me it felt more or less down to earth than other shows,

Being one of those whose gateway kdrama was stuff like Boys Over Flowers, I grew to expect larger than life, anime-like comedy expressions/physicality, working class vs. rich elite, birth secrets, amnesia, fatal disease crisis, generally very little skinship, and noble idiocy. Especially if it's heavily romance-relationship focused, but also in general. They toned it way down since maybe 2018 as they aim for more worldwide appeal - which is fine/welcome - but yeah, down to earth isn't something they often seem to want for TV dramas (movies are a little different). Could change as generations change ofc.

I mean, US TV once was dominated by squeaky clean/wholesome and often quite dramatic stage-like acting styles etc, but now it's almost fully in the other direction. Takes time, times change.

And yes, at this point I'm familiar enough with kdrama patterns (crime/thriller to period to general drama to rom-com) to get bored quicker. I still often like it more than most US TV series tho. :)

Also:

ย 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 1
โ€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.โ€ โ€“ Alan Watts

10 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Picard 3.10

Some satisfactory moments and the traditional plot holes of nuTrek. Time to copy Star Wars: a New Hope.

ย  Hide contents

Nice of the Borg to leave free space in ther cube for a Galaxy-class ship to reach its vulnerable point. Regardless of how difficult it was, requiring Data's new brain, you'd imagine they would at least have some shields and weapons.

ย 

Spoiler

You mean the same Borg that ignored the Enterprise crew in their first encounter until they messed with enough stuff to be seen as a threat didn't imagine anyone would pilot a starship into their cube? The Borg whose SOP is to adapt to known threats once those threats are realized?ย  Admittedly I haven't seen every Borg episode that Trek's done, but TNG version weren't always the best lateral (or even pre-emptive) thinkers.ย ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

ย 

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I found it much more ridiculous that...

Spoiler

The Borg literally parked their GINORMOUS cube on Jupiter, with half of it poking out of the atmosphere. It was visible from space, and the Federation did not notice it hanging out there until it was too late. That is the same kind of stupid as Earth not knowing where the raiders are on Saturn in Discovery. Well, no, worse, actually. How did that Borg cube get there undetected?

ย ย 

10 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Huh, so pretty much they failed to deliver a good show by itself, but managed to make the landing with nostalgia bombs? Sounds like a marked upgrade from the standard. Maybe I'll just watch this one episode and pretend it was a one-off to get all the old cast back on their health insurance.

I think it might be the last 10 minutes of the last episode, really. The first four episodes are "okay" too, other Star Trek fans actually enjoyed them, for me, as usual, the caveat of remakes applies: If there's no reason for a remake, then don't bother, and if you do, it had better be good and different enough to warrant making it, like the first two and a half seasons of the new Battlestar Galactica.

The first four episodes are basically The Wrath of Khan with the partial Next Generation crew. It speaks a lot more of the quality of the other Star Trek series recently that this is actually enough to make Mike and Rich like the series, or rather, to make them think that the first episodes were really good.

Edited by majestic

10 hours ago, majestic said:

I found it much more ridiculous that...

ย  Hide contents

The Borg literally parked their GINORMOUS cube on Jupiter, with half of it poking out of the atmosphere. It was visible from space, and the Federation did not notice it hanging out there until it was too late. That is the same kind of stupid as Earth not knowing where the raiders are on Saturn in Discovery. Well, no, worse, actually. How did that Borg cube get there undetected?

ย 

Nothing made sense.
ย 

Spoiler

There was another Borg Queen, so you could kill and bring her back every season if the show was not over. Same with Data.

The Borg's plans depended on Picard getting laid. Why not insert that code in their drones and have them procreate? Ok, forget that, who would want to watch that plot.

Crusher is an expert with ship weapons, completely disarming the mega Borg cube in seconds. But she can't hit a target right in front of her.

Troi can now sense Data's emotions. And apparently she was the one who piloted the ship to Riker's location.

La Forge lived alone with his daughter in the museum. Nobody was there when the Titan arrived. Also, does this mean he used enslaved synthetics to rebuild the Enterprise D?

ย 

Also:

ย 

• Haha 1

sign.jpg

Oh no, not Elnor! I'll be cuing up the Sarah McLachlin tonight in his honour.

Amazingly, he's the only OC from Picard S1 whose name I can actually remember. A bit like K** L*** from ME3 I'm not sure if it's because he was an effective character (uh, no, I don't think so) or just awful enough to stick in the brain.

ย 

• Sad 1

They should do more WW1 stuff. Kinda burned out from WW2 and there's still a lot that can be done, outside of french trenches.

Ah, how the mighty are fallen. A couple of years back they made fun of Rogue One: A Star Wars story for being an absolutely unoriginal vehicle of pandering, and now they're clapping for the Enterprise D throwback in a season that is a partial The Wrath of Khan remake and a nostalgia driven final send-off for the TNG crew with a plot so harebrained and full of contrivances it makes X-Files look well planned by contrast.

Did any of you guys clap for the original Star Trek moments the writers came up with*? No? Why not? Oh, there were not any? Oh my...

*Edit: That is techincally a lie, but the "original" moments of the season were adapted from the BSG reimagining backstory. The Borg just took over Starfleet instead of shutting down Colonial defenses. Yay. Eh, and that is the explanation that is giving the writers the benefit of the doubt, because otherwise we could say they took that from the exceptional Battleship movie.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

The Diplomat

A Netflix political drama with Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell, about an American ambassador in the UK during an international crisis, that has to deal with her new job and her husband (also an ambassador but that is now just the spouse). I found this very well written and acted, and there was not a boring moment. The story is complex enough and got better as the show progressed. David Gyasi, who plays the English Foreign Minister did a great job too.

sign.jpg

I have decided that all streaming platforms need a "never show me this title ever again, no I really mean it" tag option.

I noticed a "Love is Blind: Japan" on Netflix. I remember watching two episodes of the US version and was idly curious about differences. It's pretty much the same format wise, except there is a cultural difference in terms of the men/women's reactions and convo's. It felt a tad more down to earth in that regard. Still not worth watching.

On Prime, I tried watching (on air, not completed) k-rom-dramedy True to Love (alternate title: Bo ra! Deborah). Dramabeans recap comments give me the impression k-drama watcher's overall like it, but I was largely bored. I do love the lead actress, Yoo In-na (Goblin, Touch Your Heart), and the two male leads have been in some decent rom-drama's. But the first three episodes felt way too protracted. Or maybe for once the silly comedy aspects don't make me chortle. Anyway, it's all right as far as all the tropes go but I probably won't continue.

I watched The Night Agent on Netflix. Probably the best 'of its type' show that I've seen since... 24 season 3 maybe? It inevitably collapsed under the weight of its own absurdity in the final episode but even that is... well it's rather like complaining about a fruit salad being a disorganised mess; much of the point of the thriller genre is to have loads of big events and big reveals jumbled up into a tasty desert, not to be able to reassemble the fruit flawlessly at the end. It managed to hit just about every single genre clichรฉ in existence but did so with a certain critical mass of charm and enthusiasm, and the writing and acting was... good.

I also have to concentrate not to call it The Night Manager which I suspect is very much as designed, might as well cash in vicariously on Loki and Greg House when your casts' only recognisable names are DB Woodside and Robert Patrick.

Yevadu (2014) via Netflix. Tollywood, action, vengeance, lots o' cheese

I only watched this because of Ram Charan from RRR. The first bit of the film his chr. is a different actor, then there's an incident and he gets lots of plastic surgery and turns into Mr. Charan. The film is cheesetastic, with otp villains/dialogue, action, overly dramatic close ups/slo mo camera pans and music, some dance numbers because that's what they do, all of that. Even the occasional moment of slappy kung fu like fight noises. I wouldn't say I "loved it" and it might kill some brain cells, but I found it hilariously entertaining.

Edit: actually I watched it a while ago but recently rewatched it and couldn't remember if I mentioned it before. ๐Ÿ˜

Edited by LadyCrimson