What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

15 minutes ago, Fionavar said:

Sauna would be lovely, @Azdeus see below ;)

Back from Florida-land. It is -17 c (-30 with the wind-chill) and I am taking the hound for a 12k run shortly! #NuttyCanuck 

You're welcome to drop by sometime, I've got an outdoor hottub too ;)

It was amazing, it's only a couple of degrees below, but you can really feel it when you go from 75-80C and ~80% humidity to take a dip in the hole in the ice 😄

-17C would be real nice though, at that temperature they don't put salt on the roads, and while my car is technically speaking sandstone metallic, or Brown depending on who you ask, I really prefer the metallic paint to the rust.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

39 minutes ago, Fionavar said:

Back from Florida-land. It is -17 c (-30 with the wind-chill) and I am taking the hound for a 12k run shortly! #NuttyCanuck 

That's a real whiplash.

Around here it's warmed up and started raining. Looks like it's going to be up and down for a minute, so no luck getting used to the cold.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

I shoveled the driveway this morning just in time for another ~4" of snow. :doh: Then I took a little nap on the couch and was awoken to the doorbell. Answering it revealed a little girl selling Girl Scout cookies! I almost couldnt believe my eyes, and I didnt buy anything, but I had to respect her hustle going door to door in this weather.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

That's a real whiplash.

Around here it's warmed up and started raining. Looks like it's going to be up and down for a minute, so no luck getting used to the cold.

How's the humidity today in Houston, Space KP, Baby?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

How's the humidity today in Houston, Space KP, Baby?

By the numbers, 85%. By the feeling, well that's hard for me to say. I grew up here and am used to high humidity, so I don't really respond to it as I do the lack of it.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

2 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

By the numbers, 85%. By the feeling, well that's hard for me to say. I grew up here and am used to high humidity, so I don't really respond to it as I do the lack of it.

Just before the weekend, it was 34C (92F-93F) here.... and raining. Greenhouses got nothing on Queensland 😝

• Gasp! 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

22 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Just before the weekend, it was 34C (92F-93F) here.... and raining. Greenhouses got nothing on Queensland 😝

It's summer for y'all if I'm not mistaken, that happens on our summer days too. Not a good time at all.

• Like 2

Cold day out there. Slow remote workday. Prepping for a week of lots of Zoom and Team meetings! Hope the older pack member's right shoulder continues to heal, though vet thinking injury is now chronic and Border Collies are not know for taking it easy!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

Not so much done today as going to do the next few days. Flying to Melbourne Thursday morning to meet up with my friend and hang out for a few days. Meeting an old colleague Thursday evening for some movies and Chinese food (he's Taiwanese and knows all the good places). Watching Halestorm concert Friday night, watching Phantom of the Opera on Saturday night and hopefully getting time for a bit of shopping in between. As well as a lunch at some point in something called 'The Danish House'. No idea what it is, but curiosity got the better of me.

We saw Halestorm in 2019. It was great. Had to wait for Covid to settle down and the concert scene to pick up down under though.

Her suggestion... none of us have seen Phantom of the Opera before, but we were both keen to see it.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thinking of tracking what we spend money on in groceries in a database, guess can use a MySQL one.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Grocery/household - it all amounts to maybe $700-$800 a month for us right now. That's food and non-food grocery together, mind, but still, two people, pffft. I'm used to less food per day already, maybe I'll go to the one meal a day. Edit: I think eggs are $7-$10 at the moment, depends.

CostCo every couple months or so helps with some of the non-food to stock up on but they're dangerous to some of us in the sense that you always seem to find yourself walking out of there spending way more than necessary, even if you manage to avoid silly fluff items. Because it speaks to the lazy don't-want-to-come-back soul inside of you, so of course you need 4 giant packs of tons of paper towels right now, or 8 of those giant spice bottles, it's not like they go bad right??  Giant cheese packages, you like that brand right hon, gotta get couple of those! And oh! That's a new packaged food, very low carb, I have to try that at least once! >.>   Yeah, don't go there often unless you have the self-discipline of a monk.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

open pc just didn't show c disk and d disk for some reason and loading for minute

hope pc doesn't break again it only been about a year since last time

really couldn't go through the new pc new os routine again

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Gasp! 1

Found out that we got some wrong information about a certain date from our reseller, because Muricans just can't write dates. 01/10/2023 is somehow not in October. :no:

• Haha 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I don't know why everybody isn't using year/month/day...anyone who's ever sorted anything by date should know that's literally the only way that makes sense.

56 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

open pc just didn't show c disk and d disk for some reason and loading for minute

hope pc doesn't break again it only been about a year since last time

really couldn't go through the new pc new os routine again

I had one of my Windows PCs run for about a month and a half straight. All sorts of weird crap* started happening for the last couple of weeks, but for reasons, I couldn't shut it down until just a few days ago. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

*Like File Explorer hanging itself over and over, SMART data not being reported by the disk drives, disappearing disks, desktop UI straight up refusing to do anything I tell it to, massive memory leaks in certain processes that are usually perfectly fine, network adapter randomly dying, certain programs refusing to open, empty folders taking minutes to open... All fixed with a restart. Don't leave a Windows PC running that long, I guess.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

26 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know why everybody isn't using year/month/day...anyone who's ever sorted anything by date should know that's literally the only way that makes sense.

Indeed, particularily for international communication, YYYY-MM-DD is the only format that is readily understood by everyone. It's a bit of a pickle now because we were told the deadline is in October, and now it is three weeks ago. :p

26 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I had one of my Windows PCs run for about a month and a half straight. All sorts of weird crap* started happening for the last couple of weeks, but for reasons, I couldn't shut it down until just a few days ago. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it.

*Like File Explorer hanging itself over and over, SMART data not being reported by the disk drives, disappearing disks, desktop UI straight up refusing to do anything I tell it to, massive memory leaks in certain processes that are usually perfectly fine, network adapter randomly dying, certain programs refusing to open, empty folders taking minutes to open... All fixed with a restart. Don't leave a Windows PC running that long, I guess.

In the days of yore unused HDDs would spin down to reduce wear, and when they spun up it could take a while for the system to react. Actually, HDDs still do that. My father has some 30 odd TB storage space that is largely unused in regular use, but when opening the explorer they start spinning up. Takes up to a minute until Windows reacts. So, yeah, things taking a while with hard disks, not necessarily a sign of problems. :)

Edited by majestic

I woke up relatively early and decided to excercise.

The best date format is month NAME then day NUMBER then year NUMBER. You tell someone January 10 2023, (and if you can believe it...it's a Friday once again) and they will know you which date you mean.

Edited by Space KP, Baby

Okay. This day is officially over. I am, for a lack of a better term, exhausted by the sheer amount of incompetence of what feels like everyone working in IT. I ask someone from which IP address(es) they are going to connect to our system for the data transfer as we need to white list on the firewall, and the answer is: 192.168.XXX.XXX.

himym-how-i-met-your-mother.gif

Edited by majestic
0 -> 8, stupid typo
  • Haha 4
  • Gasp! 1

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

had problem with desktop icon for years now

not sure if this version of os just have a bug or something

Edited by uuuhhii

41 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

3 Feb 23 (D/M/Y) is the format I use.

That's what I use when writing about dates with people from other countries so that there is no confusion. I know year/month/day is the international standard but the military got me used to writing it that way. In my daily life it's month/day/year because that's just how it is here.

PS numerical D/M/Y is always wrong because you don't get Pi Day and that's a bad touch. You do get Pi Approximation Day though so that's something.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Re: dates - people use what they're taught in grade school (well when I was a kid, dunno about now) to the point where you're as used to it as seeing a word and knowing what the definition is.  I think the fault lies more in the human habit of wanting to always shorten/abbreviate stuff because we're all too lazy to write things out fully. 😛   At least I -almost- never write checks anymore. I do not miss those.

My own PC - haven't had a spontaneous reboot for a week, generally or while playing a game, but Firefox tabs still crash occasionally etc. As long as it's not rebooting, it's all right I guess.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the obvious reason americans don't change to dd/mm/yyyy or something else is money. 

am recalling our brief time as a prosecutor. criminal database programs were all monochrome and did not conform to any kinda modern sensibility or convenience. were more than a little frustrating at times to need navigate computer interfaces developed in the early 80s. the problem were that any attempt to update the system were gonna be herculean as these inelegant and inefficient resources had been expanded multiple times with solutions which only made sense in these antiquated programs making it even more difficult to import/export data from other systems... and each year that elapsed only made the task more difficult as the old systems became more unwieldy. situation were made worse 'cause a fed system had to be compatible with all the local law enforcement and local likely didn't have money to do all but the most limited upgrades. counter-intuitive, as the systems became more unreasonable and difficult to maintain, the motivation to change decreased as costs for change increased-- were always cheaper to maintain an old and inefficient system as 'posed to starting new. 

is same reason in the US we is stuck with imperial system o' units for measures. sure, metric makes so much more sense and every public school kind in the US since the 70s has been learning metric... and any stem is obvious gonna be all metric, but the cost to change keeps getting bigger every year so while is less reasonable to keep imperial, the motivation to change actual decreases 'cause o' costs. even US drug dealers learned metric 'cause if you is running a biz based on weights and measures, metric is far more practical. nevertheless, is auto parts industry and tools to fix autos and and construction capital all based on imperial, so...

is another issue where US fed system is bad for implementing nationwide change. is a whole lotta things the fed cannot do or is impractical to manage. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I grew up with dd/mm/yy because year 2000 was a myth and years were double digits 😝

For data purposes yyyy/mm/de makes sense because of lexicographical sorting of the fields is more efficient