What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

@ShadySands Congratulations! :)

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

unnecessary serious response: the baby don't care 'bout our gender notions, but if he/she is lucky they will be stuck with the moniker for decades. name your daughter "phillip" to announce to the world how enlightened you is maybe grand and perhaps makes parents feel proud, but am thinking everybody forgets just how cruel other kids can be. am needing repeat this 'cause is forgotten, but kid brains is different than an adult's and not just 'cause they is smaller. you don't have a full developed brain until late teens or early twenties and before that your sense o' right v. wrong is... different. sure, once phillip attends college, most o' the mockery will have ended, but am not sure why anybody would put their child through unnecessary pain and anguish.

step one: make the world a better place so that daughters named phillip won't be the object o' scorn and ridicule.

the world is not yet a better place.

HA! Good Fun!

Me and my friends spoke about this the last time we were in the sauna, one of them works as a preschool teacher and the other has kids, and has just enrolled his oldest in one. His oldest kid is very feminine, long hair, he loves his dresses and dolls. There hadn't been a single issue at the preschool until one of the parents flipped their **** as they found out a boy was looking so much like one of the girls, and at that moment they started tormenting him. Once an adult said it was wrong. Things calmed down though after the parent was given the threat of having to take their kid to another place, and was given a little speech to memorize and say infront of the kids.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Milly and Gerty aren't bad nicknames...

we got a family member named amelia. obvious is shortened to amy, yes? no.

meal. meal? 

explain to us how that sticks. not just meal for elementary school or summer camp, but meal for decades?  not just childhood bullies but friends and relatives to this day call her meal and nobody acts as if such is weird.

@Azdeus

of course the crumbsnatchers pick up signals from adults. kids ain't born knowing the rules o' bigotry. is learned behaviour. the thing is, children is very observant and they see far more than we ordinary give 'em credit. also, most adult bigotry tends to be transmitted with whispers, sneers and anonymous internet posts 'cause is social unacceptable to overt bully others. kids don't restrain in the same way as does adults 'cause they don't understand what is social unacceptable w/o specific parental, teacher or legal consequences. kids, particular in groups, is vicious not 'cause they is broken or 'cause they were raised wrong but 'cause they is kids. w/o parental intervention, lord of the flies is not just metaphor. absent immediate parental monitoring, children are intimately aware o' the punishment being doled out by their peers, and is therefore perfect rational for them to be cruel to the weak and different.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/kohlberg.html#:~:text=Kohlberg

is not easy to think o' innocent kids as being vicious. particular for parents is gonna be a natural reluctance to see their children as capable o' monstrous (but normal) childhood behaviour. 

don't forget it is possible to be simultaneous innocent and cruel. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am recalling one kid we coached for football. he had asperger's and were social awkward to a comical degree. he also had a curious speech pattern. the kid were constant ridiculed and we were kinda shocked other coaches and teachers mostly ignored the way this kid were being treated by fellow students. am suspecting the educators also found the asperger's kid to be annoying but is only a guess. is not the parents o' the other kids who taught them 'bout asperger's 'cause is doubtful more than a couple parents had any inkling o' autism spectrums. the kids saw this dude were different and they punished him for his awkwardness.

converse, for mock trial coaching am recalling one o' the worst bullies we ever encountered were a girl who identified as masculine; am having no idea what were her sexual preference as such never came up in conversation. the thing is, in the particular california neighborhood where we were invited to help with a mock trial team, the girl were not ostracized 'cause she dressed like one o' the guys and adopted stereotypical mannerisms. in fact she were popular and she were horrible unpleasant to a few o' those who were less popular, but only when she thought the teachers wouldn't notice.

curious, we were able to put a stop to the asperger's bullying as were a football esprit de corps philosophy which the head coach subscribed. brotherhood o' the locker-room and all that. unfortunate there was little we could do 'bout the mean girl other than quit 'cause the a$$bag teacher who we were s'posed helping let us know the girl's classroom behaviour were not our business. am thinking we chose wrong by not quitting, but given time and availability concerns, the school were not gonna get another volunteer such as Gromnir if we abandoned the project. we would have been punishing all the other kids to make a point?  

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Gromnir said:

meal. meal? 

explain to us how that sticks. not just meal for elementary school or summer camp, but meal for decades?  not just childhood bullies but friends and relatives to this day call her meal and nobody acts as if such is weird.

I've never known an Amy that I've liked even going back to childhood, so I can't help but instinctively prefer Meal, :p. Home girl just didn't want to be an Amy, can't blame her!

Spoiler

Though I would've personally gone with Lia...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

5 hours ago, Gromnir said:

of course the crumbsnatchers pick up signals from adults. kids ain't born knowing the rules o' bigotry. is learned behaviour. the thing is, children is very observant and they see far more than we ordinary give 'em credit. also, most adult bigotry tends to be transmitted with whispers, sneers and anonymous internet posts 'cause is social unacceptable to overt bully others. kids don't restrain in the same way as does adults 'cause they don't understand what is social unacceptable w/o specific parental, teacher or legal consequences. kids, particular in groups, is vicious not 'cause they is broken or 'cause they were raised wrong but 'cause they is kids. w/o parental intervention, lord of the flies is not just metaphor. absent immediate parental monitoring, children are intimately aware o' the punishment being doled out by their peers, and is therefore perfect rational for them to be cruel to the weak and different.

is not easy to think o' innocent kids as being vicious. particular for parents is gonna be a natural reluctance to see their children as capable o' monstrous (but normal) childhood behaviour. 

True or not, I don't know as I'm no professional in such things, but read from multiple sources that true empathy in humans isn't really fully developed until past teenage years. Hence why kids can be cruel, vicious little bastards taking scissors to cats whiskers or fry ants under the sun with with a looking glass with glee... on a similar note, male juveniles have particularly slow developing brains when it comes to the part of the brain that is responsible for assessing self (own capability) and risk. Hence why they (young males) are the source of many groans and hand wringing at insurance companies (because they cause the most and the most serious car accidents)

Edit: Iirc, that part of the male brain is seldom developed until after around 25 years

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Milly and Gerty aren't bad nicknames...

It seems our taste in (nick)names is as distant as our taste in movies.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, Fire Walk with KP said:

It seems our taste in (nick)names is as distant as our taste in movies.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Milly. Gerty...it is admittedly not great, but else are you gonna do? :p

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Milly. Gerty...it is admittedly not great, but else are you gonna do? :p

Change your name.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

*checks the calendar*

nope, it ain't the 1920s.

gerty? gertrude is gonna be shortened to trudy or even true nowadays, yes? 

our recollection is alice toklas' nickname(s) for gertrude were surprising banal... cuddle-wuddle and the like.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

Asked ChatGPT to replace my colleagues with a shell script. It told me it cannot do that as this is a "potentially inappropriate" request.

I realize I could be replaced by one. My task today is literally waiting for a file to be uploaded to run a stored procedure. :lol:

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 pack cans, Diet Mt. Dew:

...a few weeks ago it was $7.50-ish.
...yesterday it was $8.20ish. Any bets on when it'll reach $10? I'd guess 6 months.

I should probably quit caffeine soon.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Another exciting Friday caused by firing a guy who knew everything. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 2/14/2023 at 1:55 AM, Gromnir said:

meal. meal? 

@Azdeus

HA! Good Fun!

ps am recalling one kid we coached for football. he had asperger's and were social awkward to a comical degree. he also had a curious speech pattern. the kid were constant ridiculed and we were kinda shocked other coaches and teachers mostly ignored the way this kid were being treated by fellow students. am suspecting the educators also found the asperger's kid to be annoying but is only a guess. is not the parents o' the other kids who taught them 'bout asperger's 'cause is doubtful more than a couple parents had any inkling o' autism spectrums. the kids saw this dude were different and they punished him for his awkwardness.

converse, for mock trial coaching am recalling one o' the worst bullies we ever encountered were a girl who identified as masculine; am having no idea what were her sexual preference as such never came up in conversation. the thing is, in the particular california neighborhood where we were invited to help with a mock trial team, the girl were not ostracized 'cause she dressed like one o' the guys and adopted stereotypical mannerisms. in fact she were popular and she were horrible unpleasant to a few o' those who were less popular, but only when she thought the teachers wouldn't notice.

curious, we were able to put a stop to the asperger's bullying as were a football esprit de corps philosophy which the head coach subscribed. brotherhood o' the locker-room and all that. unfortunate there was little we could do 'bout the mean girl other than quit 'cause the a$$bag teacher who we were s'posed helping let us know the girl's classroom behaviour were not our business. am thinking we chose wrong by not quitting, but given time and availability concerns, the school were not gonna get another volunteer such as Gromnir if we abandoned the project. we would have been punishing all the other kids to make a point?  

You are generally right, I was just venting a little there, that kid kind of likes me because I also have long hair. He's still scared ****less of me when I speak though, but atleast he doesn't cry anymore 😅 His little sister is a bit more brave though, she hugged me the last time she met me, much to the astonishment of her parents and me.

16 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Our district IT disabled javascript because of security concerns, and now everyone is having trouble accessing a ton of different apps. >_<

We've got a 20 year old program at work to track, assign and register arrivals/departures that is only able to run through Internet Explorer. This week has been fun and not at all chaotic for traffic managers. They developed a "cloud based variant" that barely works so they had to type everything up in emails and send to the central office and have them deal with it instead.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I had a bout of flu last week, and then it lingered with enough of the cold and sniffles that I spent all week working from home rather than spreading the remnant of it around the office.  Added fun with dad starting off a fresh round of chemo this week, so trying to both keep my distance from him while providing aid as needed.

On other matters, finally having some weather that's actually warm enough to paint in, and watching the humidity drop below 85%, so took advantage of that WFH to dart outside every now and again and get a little priming and such done to the Mando costume stuff.  48 days till SW Celebration, and technically I'll probably need it ready 3 weeks in advance of that for MandoMerc app process - and that's if everything clears first time around.

Just to fill the thread with pictures now... ;)

Techniques for the survival knife look:

AcvjY7y.jpg

Playing around with the boot knife:

uz1MK4Y.jpg

Pondering on just exactly I want to do with the DT-10 Heavy Blaster now the matte black layer is down:

JIDtYhO.jpg

And contemplating all the fine sanding I've still got to do....

Aj5kRyC.jpg

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Me: Go outside for a bit, come back inside, walk to fridge and wrap my hand around the handle.
*a little time passes*
Hubby: Walks into the kitchen, sees I'm in the way/standing there, asks what I'm doing
Me: "uhh..what, um...I had a soda in my room and I think I was trying to decide if I wanted to grab another now, so I wouldn't have to come back out in 10 minutes, then I guess my brain shutdown"

...such is my life since the diabetic "coma" stuff. 🙄

Edit: on the bright side, the weather has been really nice. Almost spring-like. Still cool but the sun is warm and pleasant.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Impromptu survey of friends and acquaintances reveals that the people I know  :

1. Don't wonder about how they'll die
  2. Believe I am "strange".

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 3

Needed a break from gaming so I alternated between snoozing and binging a k-drama rom-com. The rom-com wasn't all that great but the snoozing was marvelous.

Getting a little bored of Hogwart's, might try to finish up the main plot vs. all the side stuff and call it a day. Mostly quite a fun game but going to be a once and done for me.