What You've Done Today - Keep Dreaming...

Raithe

50 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hello, this is customer service, how can I help you?

Hm, well it was what I am doing today.  Can't be helped I guess with a team spread over 13 hours worth of time zones.

15 hours ago, majestic said:

Found a bunch of bold faced lies on Wikipedia:

xm9Rj0U.png

I like that Slate referred to this as barely noticeable. Maybe Wales should blackmail us, tell us to give X amount or else the design is permanent.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Woke up at 0700 for a meeting that was rescheduled at 0230 my time. 

A colleague from Canada had the same thing happen to her (although I think it was even earlier for her). We were supposed to have an interview and it was rescheduled right when the meeting was supposed to start. I don't think he will be getting the job. 😂 Lucky for me though, otherwise I would have had 4 hours of back to back meetings.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 hours ago, Sarex said:

But if those 3 people do the work of 1/3 of a person each, then it might not be that bad. 😄

I wish. One of my colleagues has the day off to work the nightshift, and the other one is just a lazy, no good, ****. Typically I need 3 minutes per move I have to do with a few exceptions, so I can move about 20 trailers/containers per hour, he does five, tops, so his presence isn't noticeable. Me and my colleague typically carry for him. To be completely honest, if he hadn't been there at all I'd have been sort of fine with it, instead I get furious with him.

Atleast one of my colleagues that was supposed to handle traffic came out and helped out as much as he could. I owe him some cinnamon buns at the very least.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I went to sleep right after getting home from work. Ended up having a nightmare, where I was at a party full of people with smiles that had too many teeth and hands with too many fingers. Spoke with someone who looked familiar yet unfamiliar, and in their eyes I saw a void where no soul could dwell. This is what happens when you've seen too much AI art.

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

I went to sleep right after getting home from work. Ended up having a nightmare, where I was at a party full of people with smiles that had too many teeth and hands with too many fingers. Spoke with someone who looked familiar yet unfamiliar, and in their eyes I saw a void where no soul could dwell. This is what happens when you've seen too much AI art.

Sounds like a Trump rally 😂

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

58 minutes ago, Gorth said:

we get nightmares, but the most scary aspect is how cliché most o' 'em is.

waking up terrified is bad enough but wake up and realize your nightmare is banal and derivative is complete unacceptable. outta the hundreds if not thousands o' nightmares we has endured, mere dozens were worth committing to ink and paper memorialization, and most o' those ain't all that original neither. how many times am gonna revisit the inexplicable scenario where am naked in court for a case am complete unprepared? change to mid-term or bar exam 'stead o' court don't make fundamental different. how can we still be mortified by such? 

the realization our subconscious has so little imagination is what frightens us. we would bore jung to death with our nightmares... if he weren't already dead, and chances are if he showed up in our nightmare, jung would likely be dressed impossible dark, have misproportioned limbs, soulless eyes, too many teeth in an over-broad smile and we would be inexplicable naked.

whatever.

what our nightmares need is an editor.

edit: the vast majority o' human antagonists in our nightmares is functional faceless. the patchwork spiders with scissor-blade legs and razor fangs will have faces complete with button eyes, but human baddies is usual faceless. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I used to have a lot of nightmares as a young man. Most of them involving sepia/grey coloured scenery (covered in mist with little visibility) wailing alarm sirens and knowledge of impending nuclear strikes. I guess i eventually got used to the world I lived in and stopped thinking about the future. At some point I suppose I just stopped dreaming at all (I’m obviously still dreaming or my brain would self destruct) but the last 30 years I only remember two dreams/nightmares

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Most of them involving sepia/grey coloured scenery, wailing alarm sirens and knowledge of impending nuclear strikes

am thinking it is difficult to explain to this generation how imminent and real the impending nuclear holocaust fears were for an entire generation... or two generations. pretty much everybody we knew had nuclear war dreams at one time or another.

haven't had one o' those in decades.

nowadays whenever we hear some arsejack spinning some nonsense 'bout the pluses o' MAD, am saddened, disappointed and maybe even a little angry.

edit: the scariest part is the close calls we weren't even aware o' at the time. is at least a half-dozen times when we all came legit close to global nuke war. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sometimes I dream of having to go to my finals while not being prepared at all. I wake up, then confusedly think to myself that I better begin to study lest that nightmare becomes reality, before slowly realizing that I already took them a long time ago.

The really silly part about these nightmares? I took the exams unprepared, and I was not scared at the time. Why would my brain tell me to be now, over two decades later?

20 hours ago, Space KP, Baby said:

Sounds like too much BRUNO. Appropriately, this post was eaten by the void. Less appropriately, it came back into being even without saving it first.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

18 hours ago, Gorth said:

Not enough middle-aged white men.

17 hours ago, Gorth said:

I used to have a lot of nightmares as a young man. Most of them involving sepia/grey coloured scenery (covered in mist with little visibility) wailing alarm sirens and knowledge of impending nuclear strikes. I guess i eventually got used to the world I lived in and stopped thinking about the future. At some point I suppose I just stopped dreaming at all (I’m obviously still dreaming or my brain would self destruct) but the last 30 years I only remember two dreams/nightmares

I frequently have dreams that feel like I'm watching a movie or reading a comic, and at the very least I remember them somewhat. There's really not a lot of consistency in terms of subject matter or aesthetics, besides frequently being surreal and somewhat expressionist. Generally the more tired I am the more vivid and weird they seem.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Sounds like too much BRUNO.

020110d27d4c3aaf74722ffef9fd4fe0.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Heading to a plane in Canada. No guarantee the destination and the work will align ... :? Will update if I get to where I am going aligns with what reality reveals!

• Gasp! 2

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

1 hour ago, Fionavar said:

Heading to a plane in Canada. No guarantee the destination and the work will align ... :? Will update if I get to where I am going aligns with what reality reveals!

So... if no contact within the next 48 hours, send a search and rescue team? 😁

• Gasp! 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:13 PM, majestic said:

Found a bunch of bold faced lies on Wikipedia:

On 1/19/2023 at 5:17 PM, Bartimaeus said:

I've never understood the neurotic need for huge amounts of dead space in newly designed UIs.

I noticed a lot of new dead space on wikipedia recently, which I dislike immensely, since I also do not typically have webpages in "full screen" on the 1440 monitor, and often have browser at 120% size to boot. I remember when they decided to have those pop-up preview boxes appear when you mouse-hover over links or something, which I also hated and found an addon that removed that feature. Maybe someone will make an add-on to remove the dead space "feature". >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

had a solar contractor come out and do estimate + a projection on our anticipated twenty-year savings. the honesty were refreshing and unexpected. if we go with every bell and whistle, in twenty-years we will recoup a bit less than 1/2 our costs. our savings ain't improving if we go with a less expensive install. explanation we got for lack o' returns is am already using considerable less power than whatever constitutes similar households and we do have our redwoods which cut down on a bit o' sunshine our roof might otherwise be receiving, but we nevertheless expected at least twenty year break-even.

house faces south and is two stories with roof space upper, lower and garage. redwoods shade mostly back and east sides of house, so we get good exposure during afternoons. 

am moderate disappointed. we may nevertheless go with solar 'cause o' some small but real tree-hugger reflex. regardless, given our recent experience with contractors, we were surprised by the absence o' an effort to sell us more than we need. 

this year we also have plans to rip out our lawn and replace with a more water conscious alternative... maybe replace the three decades old insulation too. the thing is we were serious considering downsizing, so every dollar invested is representing a functional loss o' some % 'cause you don't recoup costs o' home improvement unless is relative cheap and having immediate aesthetic appeal; planting flowers or a fresh coat o' paint is a better investment than a kitchen remodel if you are selling.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

We didn't go with all the bells and whistles with our solar even though I kinda really wanted battery storage but the salesperson actually talked me out of spending more. I'll probably look into later on if I still feel the need to have total grid independence but for now I'm working on getting everything in this house off gas and over to electric because our energy company keeps raising the price on NG.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

My familys house is of "cultural significance" because it's old, so I'm not allowed to put up solar panels. Or triple glass windows. And they would really like us to dismount the heat pumps. And preferably also remove the stairway to the upper floor, because it wasn't there 120 years ago.

One of the windows broke a few years ago, and we can't find any "wavy glass" that the municipality requires us to get, so we stapled some building plastic and then screwed a plywood piece ontop of it. Least drafty "window" in the house 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I love NG, works even if the power goes out. I feel like its usually pretty cheap but I did recently hear my wife muttering about the Nicor bill. 

You mean a stove or a furnace? I thought the furnaces didn't work without power for the fans and whatnot

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

We didn't go with all the bells and whistles with our solar even though I kinda really wanted battery storage but the salesperson actually talked me out of spending more. I'll probably look into later on if I still feel the need to have total grid independence but for now I'm working on getting everything in this house off gas and over to electric because our energy company keeps raising the price on NG.

What were the storage options?

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon: