Random video game news... RNG 4 EVA

Keyrock

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Bad move by the protagonist. If you have a gun with only 1 bullet in a horror scenario, you save the 1 bullet to off yourself when you're about to get eaten by monsters.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Bad move by the protagonist. If you have a gun with only 1 bullet in a horror scenario, you save the 1 bullet to off yourself when you're about to get eaten by monsters.

You never know when the army rolls in, so dunno. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

You never know when the army rolls in, so dunno. :p

In a horror movie or game when the army rolls in there's a 99.5% chance that they are bankrolled by <name of evil corporation> and are there to cover up <experiment gone horribly wrong> by killing everything and everyone.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Callisto Protocol has been released. Apparently, it is nigh unplayable on PC. I am trying to understand the developers' logic in releasing it in this state. They did not want to miss the holiday season and impulse purchases? The publisher held a gun to their heads? There are also Day One Edition, Season Pass, and Denuvo (which is likely to be removed by the time the game is playable; if it gets patched at all, that is). The combination points clearly to exploiting the FOMO, which is rather distasteful.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-callisto-protocol-review

3 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

which is likely to be removed by the time the game is playable

Or maybe removing it is what makes the game playable. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 hours ago, Lexx said:

Or maybe removing it is what makes the game playable. 😄

Unlikely. So what I'm gathering from all the discussions is that the biggest issue in Callisto Protocol has something to do with UE4 shader caching. Like the stuttering happens any time the game decides to stream a new asset or compile a shader for the first time. A lot of what I read says tools exist to fix this issue. Why it wasn't fixed before release is another thing. But it definitely seems the priority was the PS5 version of the game.

I'm disappointed more effort wasn't taken to get the PC version into a better state before today. But I'm hopeful they'll be able to fix it quick now that they're being held to the fire. Sadly, my experience says even quick fixes may not be for a week or more. And I was hoping to play a bunch this weekend.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Running some quick tests of my own, I think they just didn't QA the PC well enough. Whatever's going on with the asset streaming or shader caching seems like a one-time issue. I watched the intro for the first time and the game stuttered every time the camera angle changed suddenly or an effect went off. I did it a second time, even after a full exit, and the problem is resolved. For that one scene.

So if it's compiling shaders on the fly and that compilation causes the issue, then once they're compiled it's technically resolved.

My limited time working QA, we weren't regularly diligent about doing clean wipes of our machines to test on either. Then again it was over a decade ago and issues like this may be more common now.

• Thanks 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Further evidence for the PS5 Version Got The Majority Of Optimization And QA Time theory.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

9 hours ago, Sven_ said:

It's the new ****. 🤑

Greatest trailer since Duke Nukem Trilogy, that.

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Greatest trailer since Duke Nukem Trilogy, that.

The DA:O is so 2000s, it's hilarious. How do you get a (primarily young male) audience to finally care about tactical combat fantasy RPGs? By showing boobs, violence and blood alongside to a randomly licensed Marylin Manson track. 😄 

It's basically what Tim Schafer had discovered for Full Throttle when he found that placing explosions on the box of his point&click was of benefit for sales in 1995ish. Except taken to a whole different level of cringe. 😄 It made for some great mockery too though, admittedly.

Edited by Sven_
  • Gasp! 1

Speaking trailers, Larian have released a new teaser in time for the upcoming Game Awards. It shows a few familiar faces.

Isn't it slightly humorous that a character who originally existed but on Cameron Tofer's pen&papers eventually not merely went to be a popular RPG character. But also got incoroporated into Forgotten Realms loredom? Gotta love 1990s approach to game making/writing. 😄 

I'd love to see a game based on his adventures in Barovia battling Dracula, er Strahd. Getting a little sick and tired of elves and dwarves tbh. Not because they're elves and dwarves. But even with your favorite meal, if you're getting it served 24/7/365 -- eventually you're going to feel stuffed.

Go for the fangs Boo, GO FOR THE FANGS!

Edited by Sven_
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Sven_ said:

Getting a little sick and tired of elves and dwarves tbh. Not because they're elves and dwarves. But even with your favorite meal, if you're getting it served 24/7/365 -- eventually you're going to feel stuffed.

I, for one, am sick of elves because they're elves. Dwarves are cool, though.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸